Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #31
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
That should be a great class to take. But, based on your current knowledge, how much new useful info would be presented in the BMW off road class to an experienced moto cross rider (very light weight dirt bike) who also took police motor officer training (tight slow speed work with very heavy motorcycle)?
I was an experienced track day rider, had a GS and had just purchased my first dirt bike (ktm exc-r 530). The bmw offroad course was great for handling a big gs in sand, over obstacles, inclines, water and intricate low speed handling.

Your experiences and skills certainly would make you much better than I was at the school. But there were very experienced riders there too and the instructors tailored much of the program to individual skill level. The instructor/student ratio was very low.

Give them a call if you are interested. I'm sure they would give you a straight answer.

I had a lot of fun.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
RKC
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Once you ride the bike for a bit you will really feel how well balanced they are. All the weight is on the bottom so they are simple to handle
RKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #33
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdude17 View Post
I picked up my Raider used in mint condition with pipes, detachable windshield and sissy bar with 1800 miles on the clock for $7800. Ive put a mustang seat, forwards and cobra power pro for another $1100. Just because Harley advertises $16,199 (black switchback) doesnt mean your gonna get one for that price....tax, title, licence, prep fee, add a set of vance and hines and your rapidly approaching 20grand. My local dealer still has the one i was looking at advertised for $17,995 and wouldnt let it go out the door for $18.5k cash bc "its a harley, and I will sell it to someone else who will pay asking value"

But thats the local harley shop.....not my first rodeo with them.
Well that's not very fair then,
comparing a used yammy to a new harley
and then say one's a whole lot cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

We've purchased 2 new Harley's in the past 2 years. We have two dealers within 25 miles of our home. One was willing to deal, but not much and the second went out of their way to earn our business. Which they did. I won't pay retail, as a matter of principle.
And that's the way it is.
One dealer wouldn't play,
the other gave me a leftover '12 for $13,900,
great trade in on my sportie,
and a bunch of other shit I forgot.

Which is still a whole lot;
but I think everyone deserves a brand new bike once.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #34
CloneBoy
Future Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
This really is the best idea as only you can tell what's right for you. It's also rather easy to rent one,
particularly in Wisconsin. Between the bikes I would offer this: its easier to dress up a Road King
(add detachable racks, back rests, topboxes etc) than it is to undress an Ultra. Also, all the FL's
are big breasts which is why they do so well two up and on the open road. Adding a lot of
extra weight to the front fork via flairings & stereos & such does nothing to reduce that. If
you feel you need a dash board take a look at the Road Glide. It has a big nose for sure
but its frame vs fork mounted.
I would actually argue that with you a little. A Road King with Cruise is $18,280 with a color, and an Ultra is $22,840

Sure thats $4600, but you cant add the detach tour pack ( $1200 PTM ), fairing ( $1000 ) , radio, cb, intercom, lowers ( $800 ) , air deflectors, gauges, etc etc etc that the Ultra comes stock with

The Ultra is the better value. I went thru this myself last year, and ended up with this 2012

I absolutely love the bike, and look for excuses to go on a road trip on it.

I detached the tour pak for under $400 using drag components and getting deals online, keeping it on for the boss and taking it off for solo trips

The weight freaked me out at first, but after the first 500 miles I thought nothing of it

I did lower it using progressives, that helped, as I am only 5'5" on a tall day

When we riding?
CloneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #35
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post
Sure thats $4600, but you cant add the detach tour pack ( $1200 PTM ), fairing ( $1000 ) , radio, cb, intercom, lowers ( $800 ) , air deflectors, gauges, etc etc etc that the Ultra comes stock with
Actually, you can. All those components can be added to a Road King.

Is it worth it? That's up to the individual.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #36
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post
I would actually argue that with you a little. A Road King with Cruise is $18,280 with a color, and an Ultra is $22,840

$4600 you can buy a Burgman 650 and be done with, more underseat storage than those luggage combined.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #37
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
$4600 you can buy a Burgman 650 and be done with, more underseat storage than those luggage combined.
I didn't know they were that affordable. Burgman 650's are nice machines, and they have the proper feet-somewhat-forward riding position that Harley touring bikes have. They should be very comfy.

I test rode a 250 scooter once, and it was a blast around town. One of the most fun rides I can remember having. It put a smile on my face that just wouldn't come off.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #38
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post

Yes, they can be...but it sure is nicer to have them installed from the get-go.

I thought the radio/cb/weatherband/cd player was kind of silly when I got my Ultra. Now...fantastic.

My wife plugs into her rear seat jack, she controls what she listens to...Sometimes I plug in...and we can talk via intercom...but mostly I just enjoy the sound of the engine. :)

My brother has a Goldwing all blinged out with cupholders etc. It's a close call, but my wife prefers the Ultra for comfort.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #39
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
[QUOTE=
Do you Harley riders ever get used to the weight of these bikes, or just learn how to manage it? Wife like the back seat but I am not sure if I want to deal with that weight on a day to day commuting.

Thoughts?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Yes you will get used to it. Since 2005 I've ridden solo and 2 up on both an electraglide and a streetglide. Can't imagine having to go back to a smaller bike now. take a look on the web at what the motorcops do on electrGlides and roadkings in the slow speed rodeo's. Once you have some miles under your belt, you will be happy with how they handle around town, in parking lots and on the highway. They are well balanced, decent handelings beasts.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #40
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
I didn't know they were that affordable. Burgman 650's are nice machines, and they have the proper feet-somewhat-forward riding position that Harley touring bikes have. They should be very comfy.

I test rode a 250 scooter once, and it was a blast around town. One of the most fun rides I can remember having. It put a smile on my face that just wouldn't come off.
Many Harley/GoldWing 2-up specific riders have switch to Burgman 650,

triple digit speed capable,

twist and go without shifting,

push button (clutch-less) shifting on the fly,

mass (weight) well low to the ground to help balance at parking lot speed.

Used Burgman 650 can be found for under $5k pretty easily.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #41
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 190
There are some really nice looking, excellent handling and performing bikes that are super fun and comfortable for single and two up riding... You just need to look around a little.

(cough)goldwing(cough-cough)

"Our founding fathers would be shooting by now..."
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
CloneBoy
Future Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post

phone rang in the middle of my thought process.

I meant you cant ad them for the price difference, making the Ultra the better buy

When we riding?
CloneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #43
coneye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
You WILL GET USED TO IT . I have a Triumph rocket tourer which i can only describe has , a Road King on steroids , its bigger , heavier , faster , but very comfortable the wife loves it .

It took me a while to get used to the rt3 , it was easy to handle from day one until it came to the slow stuff , but its just took time , You have to be aware when fully loaded on these big bikes , But after riding that a road king feels small now .

If your into scraping pegs , the cruisers are the wrong bike , but the rocket with higher clearance will be a good choice , the T bird is a very good handling bike easier to ride slow than the rocket or the road king , but my wife hated the one i owned so i got rid of it .

To be honest , if i was in the states where they are relativly cheap compared to here in OZ i would'nt hesitate to pick a road king , there a good bike , handle fairly well and comfortable ,, The switchback could be a option but poor clearance is a problem .

I personaly unless i change styles will always pick the rocket tourer over the road king , simply because here in Aust , a rocket with a backrest is 23 grand and rides extremly well right out of the box you don't need to touch it , the harley road king is 32 grand and you need pipes , tuner and air filter to get the thing running right , plus backrest , 35 grand all up big difference , when the triumph is a better bike ,.

They (big cruisers )take a bit of getting used to if there new, but my wife jumps on the back and will do 500 mile day in day out , on the other hand she will not even sit on my v strom 650

If your going that way a road king is the go . if you can afford it , most others are just replicas ,

Myself i've just discovered the adventure bikes and am loving them . But come summer when i'm taking the missis out for day trips , and loading up the panniers with drinks clothes the kitchen sink to keep her happy , i will be glad of the big tourer , and if its a tight narrow road , , stuff it if i can't chuck the u turn , i'll go round the block , after all when your on a cruiser thats what its all about , cruising with no stress ,

Believe me once your used to it there easy ,, its a lot harder for me to get used to dirt on the v strom
coneye is offline   Reply With Quote