Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,060
Single men don't drive Accords. Unless they want to be single forever. And don't get me started on the awful styling.

The Jetta is built to a price. I just sold a GTI......sit in that car, and you are convinced that VW loses money on each one it builds. Everything you touch feels like money. But the Jetta is just cheapened to the point of "why bother?"

Cross-Trek in orange might be ok. I have a 72-year old friend with a new Impreza......he likes it, but I get the feeling he bought it so his wife would have something safe to drive after he dies.

jdiaz screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 08:15 PM
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,857
The Cross Trek. The rap is that it's a little road-noisy, and that 2.0 is pretty slow off the line and up the hills but, living where you do, it's not like you'll be chugging over high passes every day. It's reputed to be a solid engine. If you're not doing long commutes or big hills, it will be great for campouts and getting around in the winter.

But don't pull the trigger until you've at least tried the Forester.

Hi Flug

When are you going to come out and do that fly-n-ride?

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #18
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Wayne's liking the Accord. We haven't driven it yet but we drove the diesel Jetta and the Sport Trek. But that freaking Accord is a whole lotta car for under $24,000 and the gas mileage is pretty damn good. I didn't like the Civic but the Accord is (looks) like a cross between a Caddy and a Benz compared to the Sentra.

Not knocking the Sentra but it's time to let it go and Nissan can have their 36,000 mile warranty while everyone else does at least 60 on power train.

Two other whole lotta cars for under $24k-- 2013 and beyond Altima-- and Mazda 6. So much car, with good gas mileage for under $25k sticker has me off "my next car will be a Golf GTi" kick.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post

Two other whole lotta cars for under $24k-- 2013 and beyond Altima-- and Mazda 6. So much car, with good gas mileage for under $25k sticker has me off "my next car will be a Golf GTi" kick.
I looked on fuelly and the Altima doesn't look to be doing much better than my Passat in real world driving, the only ones with great MPG are doing 90/10 highway and getting maybe 2-3 MPG better I would driving like that. Doing 80 city / 20 highway I still get high 20's MPG, highway driving can be above 35 MPG. The only issue with the Passat is the huge black dash....I'd get the cloth covers and UV tint the windows ASAP up by you. Accord looks to be about the same (though their ratings are only 2 MPG apart so that makes sense).

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
time to give Nissan the leased Sentra back.

Short list

Jetta diesel sedan.
Subaru Sport Trek
Accord

leaning towards Sport Trek.
Why not the Passat TDI? It's a lot bigger and gets better MPG! I gave a friend who has a 2012 Jetta a ride and he was shocked how roomy it is next to his car. They're very similar on the inside, just the Passat uses better materials and you can stretch out in there.....plus carry a metric ton of crap.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Single men don't drive Accords. Unless they want to be single forever. And don't get me started on the awful styling.
I had lots of luck meeting girls in my green 1997 Accord with beige interior

You just gotta know how to rock a Honda.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
R-1150-RS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:

The Jetta is built to a price. I just sold a GTI......sit in that car, and you are convinced that VW loses money on each one it builds. Everything you touch feels like money. But the Jetta is just cheapened to the point of "why bother?"

Cross-Trek in orange might be ok. I have a 72-year old friend with a new Impreza......he likes it, but I get the feeling he bought it so his wife would have something safe to drive after he dies.
Jettas were only cheapened to be able to match prices with the other compacts in their category. It is a reasonable alternative to the Civic / Focus / Mazda 3 / Sentra offerings. Because VW has been able to be price competitive they sell a lot more to the entry-level compact crowd than if they kept all the features they had before they lowered some interior content.

People buy them because they like the German Engineering alternative, and the conservative styling is more tasteful than some of the alternatives.

You CAN buy the high line model with upgraded interiors, including leather, bluetooth, sunroof, etc. if you want content back, but the pricing then reflects that choice....

For me it was the diesel that made the decision for the Jetta. That engine turns the car into a bit of a hot rod, yet getting 5-lt/100-km is great too, considering diesel is $0.15 a litre cheaper here....

I am very happy with the fit and finish of the Jetta.

It is good there are a couple of new diesels on the market with the Cruize and Mazda 6 coming out with their versions.

If I was not in the market for a diesel, I would likely choose a Focus, as they seem to be a nice package that handles well, and is well put together.

Gary
:) :)
- The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

R-1150-RS screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 04:46 AM
R-1150-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #23
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
Have 2 2011 Mazda 3's now, a GT 2.5 and a Speed 3, both are great fun to drive truly reliable cars, well equipped for the money. Had a 1st gen 3 that my daughter is still enjoying and has been completely reliable.

I've been through real SAABs, real Volvo's, BMW's and the 3's are always a pleasure to drive, easy to work on and well made cars.

I've slowed down on my car tracking, but as an example, is there another car out there that has adaptive bi-xenon for $25K?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
nachtflug OP
infidel

Oddometer: 45,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Why not the Passat TDI? It's a lot bigger and gets better MPG!
I don't want a six speed/clutch. the Passat TDI with the automatic comes with sunroof and is over $28K. I need to stay under $25K and I'm not completely sold on the dual clutch automatic thing I think they may have made things more complicated then they need to be. I drove the TDI Sportwagon and didn't like it the Jetta sedan is in my opinion a much different car. Disappointing as I like the SWagon. For all the complaints of the "cheap" interior of the Jetta it looks nice enough to me.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #25
nachtflug OP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-1150-RS View Post
It is good there are a couple of new diesels on the market with the Cruze .........
how do you bring a car to market with no spare tire?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
how do you bring a car to market with no spare tire?
Runflat tires. Which are expensive to replace and ride like hell.

KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
nachtflug OP
infidel

someone pointed me towards the 2014 Mazda 6.

Google image that and check out the 2014 Mazda 6 Wagon that won't be brought to the US.

Mazda can kiss my ass.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,060
Quote:
I drove the TDI Sportwagon and didn't like it the Jetta sedan is in my opinion a much different car. Disappointing as I like the SWagon. For all the complaints of the "cheap" interior of the Jetta it looks nice enough to me.
Jetta Sportwagen is the old "Mark 5" Golf/Jetta platform. Soft touch dash, independent rear suspension, very nice car.

New Jetta TDI is the cost-reduced platform.....solid beam rear axle, hard touch interior surfaces, and a "nice enough" car. Just not what they've been selling us for the last 10 years.

None of this matters if you don't want a manual or dual-clutch gearbox. Newer VW diesels don't come with anything but those two transmissions.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
nachtflug OP
infidel

Quote:
Jetta Sportwagen is the old "Mark 5" Golf/Jetta platform. Soft touch dash, independent rear suspension, very nice car.

New Jetta TDI is the cost-reduced platform.....solid beam rear axle, hard touch interior surfaces, and a "nice enough" car.
coming from the Sentra the Jetta sedan felt (drove) like it was glued to the road and you didn't feel a thing.

the sportwagon seemed to wallow and while it tracked well to me it didn't feel as tight or glued to the road. I'm in love with the diesel but leery of maintenance costs with the dual clutch/diesel and VW in general.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
coming from the Sentra the Jetta sedan felt (drove) like it was glued to the road and you didn't feel a thing.

the sportwagon seemed to wallow and while it tracked well to me it didn't feel as tight or glued to the road. I'm in love with the diesel but leery of maintenance costs with the dual clutch/diesel and VW in general.
How much do you drive per year? The 2.5 doesn't get amazing MPG but I average high 20's with mostly driving around the suburbs/city and 35+ on the highway with summer gas; with the winter blend it was 33.5 for a 90/10 tank. The Jetta with an auto should be about the same since I'm guessing the weight difference will make up for the manual VS auto. Plus the 2.5 from all the reports I've seen is pretty reliable, the TDi and 2.0 FSI are the ones with potential headaches.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: