Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
the sportwagon seemed to wallow and while it tracked well to me it didn't feel as tight or glued to the road. I'm in love with the diesel but leery of maintenance costs with the dual clutch/diesel and VW in general.
Any new VW should have free maintenance for the first 3/36 IIRC. I think the oil change interval is 10k miles.

The DSG needs a service every 40k miles. A co-worker here paid $300 for that service to be performed......sounds high, but most shops around me are charging $175 for a regular automatic transmission service without a filter, and the DSG service includes a filter IIRC.

Oil changes run $32 or so at home......my dealer has a $49.99 permanent oil change special for when I don't feel like doing it.

Air filters and cabin filter are $15-18 off ebay, and wipers $20/pair.

I can't help with the reliability concerns. Enough folks have had issues with the cars that its all real. However, both our German-built ones have been pretty painless.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #32
nachtflug OP
infidel

Oddometer: 45,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
The Cross Trek. The rap is that it's a little road-noisy, and that 2.0 is pretty slow off the line and up the hills but, living where you do, it's not like you'll be chugging over high passes every day. It's reputed to be a solid engine. If you're not doing long commutes or big hills, it will be great for campouts and getting around in the winter.

But don't pull the trigger until you've at least tried the Forester.

Hi Flug

When are you going to come out and do that fly-n-ride?

I think I've forgotten how to ride at this point, and realized I probably never did..I'd sell my soul for one of those water cooled GS's though what a freaking cool bike and it sounds like it really revs. are you still in the Sierra foothills? you ever see the Fish? adv needs to have an amnesty and get all those screw balls back onboard!

I'm attracted to the high gas mileage cos I'm cheap, hence the attraction to the diesel. I REALLY liked the Jetta and I drive slow but all that torque that thing still just zips and it does feel stuck like glue to the road. all the high gas mileage cars I've driven, civic, elantra, veloster, cruze, just don't seem to excite me. for me the diesel jetta is like 3 steps up the ladder it is one nice car to drive with regards to power and handling for me it's like a BMW or a Benz it's tight and it's right. but do I want to own a VW or go with Subaru and that nice AWD (never know when you get a bad winter in northeast) and live with the average gas mileage. I drove the Cross Trek and liked it a lot I don't need big power in a car. The damn Fords all that salesman wanted to talk about was the phone features what a dipshit. who freaking cares.

I wish Saturn was still around....
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #33
nachtflug OP
infidel

Quote:
:are you still in the Sierra foothills? you ever see the Fish?
Rockin Robin??
Old 07-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
I'm attracted to the high gas mileage cos I'm cheap, hence the attraction to the diesel. ... but do I want to own a VW or go with Subaru and that nice AWD (never know when you get a bad winter in northeast) and live with the average gas mileage. I drove the Cross Trek and liked it a lot I don't need big power in a car.
My wife and I bought a '12 Impreza about 16 months ago. Love it. It has adequate power, but I occasionally want more. I'd worry a bit about the aero of the Cros Trek hurting acceleration, mpg and wind noise.

We have averaged 29mpg over the last 8,000 miles of mostly Bay Area driving (stop and go, or 85mph) with the 5 speed.

My biggest complaints about the Impreza:
1) The rear view mirror is mounted way too low on the windshield, and blocks my view of cars in the right side of a 4 way stop.
2) The iPhone integration, and interface of the upgrade stereo is shit.
3) There's a little rattle in the speaker cover on the left side of the dash.

Yeah, it's a pretty weak list; it's a good car.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #35
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,592
Quote:

I think I've forgotten how to ride at this point, and realized I probably never did..I'd sell my soul for one of those water cooled GS's though what a freaking cool bike and it sounds like it really revs. are you still in the Sierra foothills? you ever see the Fish? adv needs to have an amnesty and get all those screw balls back onboard!

I'm attracted to the high gas mileage cos I'm cheap, hence the attraction to the diesel. I REALLY liked the Jetta and I drive slow but all that torque that thing still just zips and it does feel stuck like glue to the road. all the high gas mileage cars I've driven, civic, elantra, veloster, cruze, just don't seem to excite me. for me the diesel jetta is like 3 steps up the ladder it is one nice car to drive with regards to power and handling for me it's like a BMW or a Benz it's tight and it's right. but do I want to own a VW or go with Subaru and that nice AWD (never know when you get a bad winter in northeast) and live with the average gas mileage. I drove the Cross Trek and liked it a lot I don't need big power in a car. The damn Fords all that salesman wanted to talk about was the phone features what a dipshit. who freaking cares.

I wish Saturn was still around....
Yep, still in the foothills but haven't kept in touch with the Fishster. Too much drama I guess.

My son bought a used 2004 Passat 1.8 turbo for about $2500. It's a nice, comfortable car that drives nice, and he hasn't really had any problems with it, but the few times I've had to tinker with it have taught me that I much prefer the Japanese approach to engineering.

Here's an example. The Germans put the battery in a well in the firewall at the center/back of the engine compartment. From an engineering/performance point of view, this makes perfect sense. It places the weight where you want it, at the center and behind the front axle. But from a maintenance standpoint, it's a major pain in the ass, and a battery is something that inevitably needs periodic attention. It's the same with lots of little things -- brilliant engineering, but not always done according to the KISS principle.

That said, these are the very things that make the Japanese cars are more pedestrian and the German cars are more interesting.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #36
bowzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I'm just turning 10k on the Cross Trek and have zero complaints. It's a little underpowered with the AC on hills but a fair trade for the fuel milage.
I really don't notice the road noise as I came out of a Jeep Wrangler. The wife and I did a 5k mile road trip this month and found the vehicle to be a comfortable cruiser and car camper. It works very well for us.
Again, we came for a swb Jeep so...
bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #37
nachtflug OP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
I'd worry a bit about the aero of the Cros Trek hurting acceleration, mpg and wind noise.
acceleration? I'm coming out of a Sentra and to be honest I have no complaints on the cars power.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #38
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,523
I like the looks of the CT (particularly the more garish Oranges and such) but was a little underwhelmed on the driving experience. It wasn't bad but just a little underpowered and had a "heavy" feel to it. I would still own one if it fit my needs.

The JSW TDi I drove was more my taste. It had bags of torgue and was much more fun to drive than the CT. Quality interior and more than enough room to do the camping/hauling/hiding the bodies thing. I also think they look cool (YMMV).

The same day I took the JSW out I tried the Jetta Gli - now that was fun! No good if you want to drive slow though
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #39
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venteuri View Post
The accord is a superb car.... But it is soul-less.

You will find yourself bored to death, driving with cruise control on .......You may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong? ...You may say to yourself, my god, what have I done?
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground

BULLSHIT.

Hey you idiots, stop re reading old car magazines, the new Accord kicks ass.

Flug when you test drive it, put the shifter in "S" for a while when you try it. The CVT works really well, and Honda has been making CVTs since 1996.

A Jetta is 2nd rate compared to the Accord.
According to all the people on fuelly.com Accord owners are averaging almost 30 mpg, gas powered Jettas are 2 to 4 mpg lower.

If you really want fun, try the Sport model.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #40
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Mazda 6. So much car, with good gas mileage for under $25k sticker has me off "my next car will be a Golf GTi" kick.
Just read a glowing review of the new Mazda 6. Great fuel economy, sporty feel, around $20k base model with a manual. Entirely new car, so a risk of teething problems. But it sounds like a winner.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #41
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
BULLSHIT.

Hey you idiots, stop re reading old car magazines, the new Accord kicks ass.

Flug when you test drive it, put the shifter in "S" for a while when you try it. The CVT works really well, and Honda has been making CVTs since 1996.

A Jetta is 2nd rate compared to the Accord.
According to all the people on fuelly.com Accord owners are averaging almost 30 mpg, gas powered Jettas are 2 to 4 mpg lower.

If you really want fun, try the Sport model.
When I saw the new accord I said .. Would you look at that!, I mean look at that.
Accord, the vest evah! Impressive sports car .. Bar none. I wanted to trade my E63 for it
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #42
RockyRaccoon

Quote:
Rockin Robin??
Sad to say, they dropped out of the Advrider riding scene and we haven't kept touch. Maybe it's just me. I haven't been organizing meet-ups or going to rallies. Just rising on my own with Coonwife these days.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 07-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
RockyRaccoon

I don't have any experience with the TDIs and don't know about the new technologies, but a diesel in upstate NY in winter? Just sounds like trouble.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
nachtflug OP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
Sad to say, they dropped out of the Advrider riding scene and we haven't kept touch. Maybe it's just me. I haven't been organizing meet-ups or going to rallies. Just rising on my own with Coonwife these days.
hey isn't she married to Coonass!!!????
Old 07-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
nachtflug OP
infidel

I just went to Hanafords for some tomato's. and came home without any. $4 a pound for hydroponic in July?

parked next to a TDI Passat. God that car is big. But it had Texas plates so it figures..

I'm buying a commuter car bottom line. 50 miles a day.

If I see one more Kia Optima I'm going to scream. My manager has one and she's liking it.

Have they leapfrogged over their parent company Hyundai?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: