ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #46
slideways
permanent ex-pat
 
slideways's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Ocean Dweller
Oddometer: 5,177
Go to your local BMW dealer get a used certified 3 car and be happy.
__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”



Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #47
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,171
For a commuter car I think it'd be really hard to beat the soon-to-be-released Mazda 3 (will have the same platform as the current Mazda 6). Sporty-ish and fantastic mpg.

Mazda's new auto gearbox seems like a great setup for a commuter. Small torque converter to get you going then its basically a dual clutch thingy once underway (more efficient, less slushy feeling).
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #48
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 36,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
For a commuter car I think it'd be really hard to beat the soon-to-be-released Mazda 3 (will have the same platform as the current Mazda 6). Sporty-ish and fantastic mpg.

Mazda's new auto gearbox seems like a great setup for a commuter. Small torque converter to get you going then its basically a dual clutch thingy once underway (more efficient, less slushy feeling).
How does that work? Is it a torque converter with an electronic lock up?
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer
 
cogitate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of the Border, CA
Oddometer: 4,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Go to your local BMW dealer get a used certified 3 car and be happy.
And enjoy the repair bills when it gets out of its warranty.
__________________
bikeless.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #50
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post

If I see one more Kia Optima I'm going to scream. My manager has one and she's liking it.

Have they leapfrogged over their parent company Hyundai?


Not in sales.
I wonder about the Optima. I sold a lightly used one a few months back and the guy recently contacted me about getting out of it, he doesn't like it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #51
slideways
permanent ex-pat
 
slideways's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Ocean Dweller
Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
And enjoy the repair bills when it gets out of its warranty.
What repair bills?
__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”



Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #52
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,055
Of your choices the vee dub will probably be the most fun to drive and the biggest pain in the ass to own.

The Subaru offers things such as awd that you won't get in the others. But there are compromises. I haven't looked at the very latest, but hopefully they have upgraded the god awful cheap ass interior.

The accord will be the best car, because its a Honda. Having said that I wouldn't buy one. They do nothing for me.

If I was going to buy a car today I'd look at the new fusion, or focus if I wanted something smaller, Cruze diesel, the Volt, Jetta TDI, and Mazda's offerings. Hondas and Subarus don't do anything for me, and I've owned both. As a side note I rented a focus in the spring and put nearly 3000 miles on it in 5 days. It was a fantastic car for 17 grand with a dual clutch auto, enough so that I damn near forgot about the pain in the ass Ford Sync system.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #53
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer
 
cogitate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: North of the Border, CA
Oddometer: 4,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
What repair bills?
Just wait, they are coming
__________________
bikeless.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #54
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: East Bay
Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The Subaru offers things such as awd that you won't get in the others. But there are compromises. I haven't looked at the very latest, but hopefully they have upgraded the god awful cheap ass interior.
I've been in a dozen rental cars over the past year, and my '12 Sube was no worse than any of them and better than most. I didn't sit in a car in '12 I'd trade for the Sube. If power isn't an issue, there's no reason to keep looking.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #55
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,553
Drive the offerings from Kia and Hyundai before you buy. You can get a loaded 2014 Forte for just under $17K. 36+ mpg and one of the quietest small sedans on the road.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #56
Ken
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ken's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: A dark hole...
Oddometer: 56,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Go to your local BMW dealer get a used certified 3 car and be happy.
Never trust a guy that drives a 3 series

Also, never trust anyone the drinks scotch
__________________
"God made hobos to make other men yearn." -Steinbeck
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #57
nachtflug OP
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Drive the offerings from Kia and Hyundai before you buy. You can get a loaded 2014 Forte for just under $17K. 36+ mpg and one of the quietest small sedans on the road.
a loaded Forte for under $17K?

go to the website and build one you can get it up to $24K.

for that money I'd got with an Accord all day long. why not?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #58
BCC
I know better
 
BCC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Southern NJ
Oddometer: 7,754
If I wanted a practical car for a 50 mile commute with a $25k cap, I'd go Fusion or Focus with an extended warranty or a Korean with the 100k warranty and save some money.

I bought my daughter a Civic 8 years ago and it's got about 170k trouble free miles on it, so an Accord sounds good, too.
__________________
Living the fullest life means leaving a history of goodness behind you for others to remember.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #59
nachtflug OP
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
If I wanted a practical car for a 50 mile commute with a $25k cap, I'd go Fusion or Focus with an extended warranty or a Korean with the 100k warranty and save some money.

I bought my daughter a Civic 8 years ago and it's got about 170k trouble free miles on it, so an Accord sounds good, too.
I drove the Focus and didn't like the ride, felt every bump in the road. when he wasn't rambling on about how great the cell phone interface was he said it was because it had sport tuned suspension. he also went on and on about how his dealership was all about building customer relationships. when I asked him if we could jump out on I84 which was 1 mile away he said it wasn't allowed they had to stick to the test drive route. when I asked him about building customer relationships the rest of the test drive was very quiet. no Ford in my future.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #60
nachtflug OP
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I drove the Focus and didn't like the ride, felt every bump in the road. when he wasn't rambling on about how great the cell phone interface was he said it was because it had sport tuned suspension. he also went on and on about how his dealership was all about building customer relationships. when I asked him if we could jump out on I84 which was 1 mile away he said it wasn't allowed they had to stick to the test drive route. when I asked him about building customer relationships the rest of the test drive was very quiet. no Ford in my future.
this is the same dealership that took a full size loaded Excursion in on trade with a seized blown engine and sold it to a local used car lot for $2K. when my buddy who runs the lot cut the AC belt it started right up. yeah buddy factory trained technicians and he made about $10K on the deal.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014