User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
What bike next for wife?

She currently has a 2006 Ninja 650R. Its lowered about an inch so that should tell you where we are headed with seat height. She also likes the weight, though it could be lighter.

She wants a bike that is either lighter or more stylish but any bike with forward biased foot controls are decidely out. She also enjoys 55mpg with unleaded. She also likes the power output.
Basically the 650 is a jack of all trades master at none.

Finally I will be sharing the bike with here so her next bike should be VERY different than my TL1000R.(more standard-ish or retro-ish?)

We have come up with a few bikes to check out.

Street Triple
Bonneville SE
Moto Guzzi V7
Maybe a Sportster 1200 of some kind?

New isnt a requirement or even something we prefer...used is where the value is at.

What other bikes should we consider for her short leg height/preferences?
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,352
Cool2

Wait for it:
2014 Yamaha MT-09

If you have to get it soon, Street Triple is probably the best value for its performance.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 05:14 PM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,850
See my posts about my slightly hot rodded Ninja 300. It doesn't need a lot to be pretty good. Minimally, steering head bearings upgraded at $45, and a +1 CS sprocket makes it pretty decent. Oops, add sintered brake pads and SS line up front, under $100 together and then your favorite tires.

Lighter, up to 104 MPG, 63 steady for me in mixed fast riding. Highway cruise at 85MPH actual easily.

Suspension & power can get better by the usual tricks.

Or wait out the 390 Duke or SS from KTM.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825961

Navin screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 05:19 PM
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,483
Going through something similar. We'll probably be picking up a Ducati Monster 696 this week. There have been a few really nice used ones popping up for sale.

Its both: lighter and more stylish. Also lower.
The maintenance interval on the new generation is supposed to be much better than the older models.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 196
I believe the best choice is the one your wife picks! Doesn't matter what style it is how it looks (to you) or who makes it... it needs to be the one she says.... "I want that one" Just my $0.02
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,073
I have a 2000 V Star Classic.It's a really easy bike to ride.Low seat height around 28 inches or maybe a little shorter.If you're looking for new,I'd check out Honda's 500cc to 700cc line up.Some good stuff for the tourer and sport rider.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Agreed.

My SO picked the Duc, not me. I only have veto power on a bike that could be a hand full of problems. I'm glad she likes the M696. Not so pricey, not too complicated v-twin and it looks decent enough. The aftermarket windshields are a bit pricey and luggage is almost limited to a Beta Bag type system but all in all, I think we can work with it. It's a low bike to start and the Ducati lower seat is pretty easy to find. Don't need fancy/expensive crash bars either; there's a ton of aftermarket sliders for them. (Just protection for when bike falls over.)
It will be her 3rd street bike. First being a Ninja 250 - great machine but bad riding position. Second, a lowered KTM640 Supermoto. She likes it but it's one of the cursed ones that will vibrate the teeth out of your head. (She's had a couple KE100s and a KLX140 as well.)

We looked at the newer Honda CB500 series. She said they were too tall and heavy. I really liked the idea of the Aprilia Mana 850GT. It's got some great ideas. Good storage up front, gas tank under seat and a CVT. The odd used one pops up for a reasonable price. Again, too big and heavy.
And also the BMW650 twin. Too big.

I tried to steer her toward a Triumph 955. They are great value, as Cat2 mentioned. She wasn't interested at the time. :(
Nor was she interested in a V7.

I think there is a lot to gain by her jumping up to a M796. If it were shorter we would look at them, too.

+1 on the 100mpg comment by Navin regarding the little ninja. Our 250 routinely returned that type of efficiency.

So... did you go look at any bikes?
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,850
[QUOTE=dirtydeeds;21982915]Agreed.

First being a Ninja 250 - great machine but bad riding position.QUOTE]

SV-Racing rear sets.

Pure standard position on the 300, slightly tight for my 6-01" frame but still OK. $200. Super sano and great shifter/brake action too.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
boduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Going through something similar. We'll probably be picking up a Ducati Monster 696 this week. There have been a few really nice used ones popping up for sale.

Its both: lighter and more stylish. Also lower.
The maintenance interval on the new generation is supposed to be much better than the older models.

Don't rule out an older monster based on that. Nothing changed to increase the service intervals, simply a matter of Ducati saying "7500" miles now rather than 6000...very fun bike!
boduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boduke View Post
Don't rule out an older monster based on that. Nothing changed to increase the service intervals, simply a matter of Ducati saying "7500" miles now rather than 6000...very fun bike!
Good to know.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,853
I think a super sexy black speed triple would do the trick....

iyaoyas98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
kawi_girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Talking

So...need to clarify a few things.
1) how much does your wife ride? By indicating she wants something more 'stylish' and lighter, I get the impression she is not interested in putting on the big miles.
2) you have made so many points as to what she likes about the Ninja that I am baffled as to why she wants a different bike...unless it is YOU that wants a different bike...

I have a 2009 Ninja 650 and love it. I bought it new and it's currently pushing the 40,000km point, and running well. Done some really big trips and it has taken me through driving rain, crazy wind, baking hot sun, cold and fog with no hiccups. It keeps up great on the freeway with a Bandit 1250 and is fun in the twisties. All this with side cases and a top case. Anything lighter would be a bit scary in the strong wind, and heavier would be more bike than I want. The only thing that I would change is having ABS, and the new 650 is the answer to that. Except that I love my bike so I'm keeping it for a while longer.

As far as the stylish comment...I think it's a sporty looking little bike, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Something without fairing? Er-6n then? Realise that no fairing means no wind protection which can change the comfort of the ride. As you can see I may be a bit biased here but really I think the that Ninja is the complete package. Don't forget that fuel economy, hard to beat that.
Rant over

Previous Ride: 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
kawi_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
moto guzzi V7-

a step down in outright performance, but a huge step up in style

add screens and bags as you see fit
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,905

I read the thread title as "What bike for next wife?"

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Ok. Yes she doesnt put big miles on. She rides in stints under 200 miles generally.

She has been thinking and has decided if she leaves the Ninja it will be for something retro. So all of the sportbikeish options are out. The 650 is her first bike and she is interested in exploring other types of motorcycles.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote