User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
frecks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
DR650 Adjustable Kickstand

I switch between a dirt & supermoto setup on my DR650 fairly often & wanted a way to easily adjust the kickstand to match either setup, so I made one. Now that I've put a couple hundred miles on & am confident that it isn't going to fall off, I figured I would throw together a quick write-up on how to do it.

Tools & Materials Required:
1) Bandsaw
2) 3/4" Tap Wrench (or a Crescent Wrench)
3) Bench Vise
4) Blue Loctite
5) 3/4"-10 Plug Tap ($11.94 - http://amzn.com/B000FPDG6U)
6) 6" length of 3/4"-10 Zinc-Plated Steel Fully Threaded Stud ($6.08 - http://www.mcmaster.com/#95475A874)
7) 2 Stainless Steel 3/4"-10 Hex Jam Nuts ($0.79 x 2 = $1.58 - http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Det...x?product=4126)

I borrowed the bandsaw & 3/4" tap wrench from a friend because those are expensive. You could use a crescent wrench in place of a tap wrench, though it would make it more difficult. I already owned a bench vise & a tube of blue Locktite. If you own or can borrow these, you'll be able to do this project for under $20.

The first order of business is to cut out a section of your kickstand. The factory short kickstand is 2" shorter than the stock kickstand. I started with the short kickstand, but you can do this with either. Cut 1" out if you're using the short kickstand. Cut 3" out if you're using the long kickstand. Make sure you locate your cut so you can thread at least 1.5" of the rod on each side. Remember: measure twice, cut once. Once you're done with the cut, it might not hurt to file off any burrs on the remaining pieces of kickstand - probably a better idea than cutting yourself on them later.

Clamp down the pieces of kickstand in your bench vise so they won't move. Tap one at a time. Keep in mind that this is a cheapo tap. Use an appropriate lubricant & go slowly.

Thread the jam nuts onto the rod, then thread the rod into both halves of the kickstand. Use blue loctite & snug the jam nuts up against each half of the kickstand to make sure it all stays together.

Hopefully my first DIY how to writeup proves helpful to some of you DR650 riders out there!
frecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post
I switch between a dirt & supermoto setup on my DR650 fairly often & wanted a way to easily adjust the kickstand to match either setup, so I made one. Now that I've put a couple hundred miles on & am confident that it isn't going to fall off, I figured I would throw together a quick write-up on how to do it.

1) Bandsaw
3) Bench Vise
4) Blue Loctite
6) 6" length of 3/4"-10 Zinc-Plated Steel Fully Threaded Stud ($6.08 - http://www.mcmaster.com/#95475A874)
7) 2 Stainless Steel 3/4"-10 Hex Jam Nuts ($0.79 x 2 = $1.58 - http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Det...x?product=4126)

I borrowed the bandsaw & 3/4" tap wrench from a friend because those are expensive. You could use a crescent wrench in place of a tap wrench, though it would make it more difficult. I already owned a bench vise & a tube of blue Locktite. If you own or can borrow these, you'll be able to do this project for under $20.

The first order of business is to cut out a section of your kickstand. The factory short kickstand is 2" shorter than the stock kickstand. I started with the short kickstand, but you can do this with either. Cut 1" out if you're using the short kickstand. Cut 3" out if you're using the long kickstand. Make sure you locate your cut so you can thread at least 1.5" of the rod on each side. Remember: measure twice, cut once. Once you're done with the cut, it might not hurt to file off any burrs on the remaining pieces of kickstand - probably a better idea than cutting yourself on them later.

Clamp down the pieces of kickstand in your bench vise so they won't move. Tap one at a time. Keep in mind that this is a cheapo tap. Use an appropriate lubricant & go slowly.

Thread the jam nuts onto the rod, then thread the rod into both halves of the kickstand. Use blue loctite & snug the jam nuts up against each half of the kickstand to make sure it all stays together.

Hopefully my first DIY how to writeup proves helpful to some of you DR650 riders out there!
Thought I was looking at my garage for a minute...

How many of us have a blue DR650 and a matt Street Triple R. Full disclosure, the Street Triple is my wife's.

Thanks for the parts list, very helpful.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
frecks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Thought I was looking at my garage for a minute...

How many of us have a blue DR650 and a matt Street Triple R. Full disclosure, the Street Triple is my wife's.

Thanks for the parts list, very helpful.
They're good bikes & good colors!

It's the reverse situation for me. The STRiple is my main ride. The DR is technically mine, but it mainly serves as my girlfriend's ride. I occasionally steal it back & throw the dirt wheels back on for trail rides.
frecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
WoodRat
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Perfect Solution

Frecks, thank you so much for sharing your innovation. This is exactly what I need as I am sorting out my suspension, raising & lowering the bike, and most likely ending up at a height that is ideal for neither the standard side stand nor the short one. Plus I don't have to buy the short stand which seems to cost about $60 with shipping.

WoodRat screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 07:06 AM Reason: grammar
WoodRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
ShadowMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post

1) Bandsaw
3) Bench Vise
4) Blue Loctite

I need to shorten the kickstand on my DR650 as well and something adjustable like this makes so much more sense than a permanent height.

Is the wall of the kickstand really thick enough to tap? I figured I'd just find someone to well nuts to either side of the cut, same location as your jamb nuts but tapping it would look much cleaner if it's possible.
ShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote