User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,036
Woody wheels for versys?

While the spoked wheels are nice for a full ADV conversion, if memory serves they're about half the value of the stupid bike. The wheels are not what limits that bike, it's the suspension.

I haven't ridden one of the new honda cb500's, but it looks like a great little bike. Coming from a Buell it may not be enough bike though.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
I think you should consider a used DL1000 V-Strom. It will yank the front wheel off the ground, no problem. It definitely has a hooligan streak, and it sounds like you do too.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
Depends where/how you ride really... The honda NC700X is a cool design, mostly road going, based on a scooter and very practical. If you aren't going off the pavement much, then you can't beat the value. You can get one new with a Warranty & loan for about what you're looking for.

I put cash down on the Gladius because the Honda was hard to find at the time. Seemed like a notch higher in quality/power.

Then I discovered and test rode the Tiger 800 XC. Done. Sold. Took out a cheap loan for the difference over the SV. (Plus I watched the Icon Raiden youtube video when I got home and soiled my pants:) Just shows how much more capable the bike is then I am, and that's very reassuring.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #19
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny662 View Post
The "occasional gravel road" does not require spoked wheels. jdrocks has done "tens of thousands of miles of gravel roads" on Versys and Ninja 650R based bikes and prefers cast wheels.
I love those builds.....

I really like the idea of starting with a Ninja, and going from there.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #20
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
Love my NC700X! I didn't like the ergo of the Versys and it was too buzzy for me. Althought it is quicker off the line the NC700X has its good points as well, carries its weight low, feels very stable on highway, and the "frunk" is great!
I concur 100%. I also just purchased a new NC700X and love it. I hated the vibration the Versys produced. The NC700 feels like a big trials bike. The wife and I have ridden (2 up) 100s of miles of gravel roads with no problems even with the stock tires.

philp38 screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 07:44 AM
philp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
I hear a lot of complaints of the Versys vibes. Mine was a little rough under 3k but coming off of a 650 thumper, it did not bother me much.

I sync'd the throttle bodies and adjusted the throttle solenoid a tad richer and now the vibes are practically non existent.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I hear a lot of complaints of the Versys vibes. Mine was a little rough under 3k but coming off of a 650 thumper, it did not bother me much.

I sync'd the throttle bodies and adjusted the throttle solenoid a tad richer and now the vibes are practically non existent.
I've ridden three different Versys and each was buzzy and coarse. It is hard to smooth out a 180 degree crank parallel twin. I admit my favorite bike engines were (are) a boxer BMW and my ST1300 so I perhaps I am overly sensitive to tingly high frequency vibration. I suppose you get used to it and perhaps careful tuning can reduce it. When I rode the NC the first time I immediately liked the motor's feel.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #23
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
ncx = appliance.

Versys = fun.
+1

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #24
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I've ridden three different Versys and each was buzzy and coarse. It is hard to smooth out a 180 degree crank parallel twin.
Mine was. I was happy with the bike but just dealt with the buzzy motor and clunky shifting. What did bug the crap out of me was the harsh suspension. My pinched discs would act up after a long ride on it.

After test-riding the Tiger 800's it was a done deal. There was just no going back to the Versys. Sold it to a very happy fellow whom is enjoying it as much as I did.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #25
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,899
I sold my 650R (same engine) because of the vibrations that got worse
with time, was fine at 10k miles, annoying at 15k, unbearable at 20k.

Changed sparkplugs, did throttle bodies, cleaned the injectors, did everything
that could be done, even the dealer said that he never experienced that much
vibes on a 650R/Versys.

I wish they did it with 270 crank.
I'd be all over the Versys right now if it had 270 crank.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
puttman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
First reply was lost so here is condensed version. I owned Versys, now own ncx.

Both bikes are very good cant go wrong, though very different.

The honda is more refined street bike much less hp but enough, not as off road friendly as Versys but not bad. Honda is smoother, quieter, transmission/clutch better, fueling better, much taller gearing.

Versys is quicker, turns easier, more flickable than honda.

The versys is a sporty bike, the honda feels like a permium touring bike by comparison.

You should be able to buy either new for your budget...or very close. My preference is hond the fronk is incredably useful, bike looks much better and fits my needs best. Honda would fit your inseam better...much longer wheelbase.

Good luck

Tom
puttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,022
The versys is a fun bike on the track

Motorcyclist mag or someone recently did a shoot out between the honda NC700, the versys, a BMW and the Vstrom.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
Merckx the Cannibal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I've put about 20,000 miles on my Versys (original owner put 10,000 miles on it), and it's only the second bike I've owned (first was an EX500). Never ridden an NCX.

The Versys is always fun to ride. Always. I commute on it, 10 miles each way, and I get to work in a good mood and I arrive home in a good mood.

I have taken it on long trips and have had a few 400-plus mile days, and the Versys isn't comfortable on those big-mileage days. I'm 6 feet tall, and the bike isn't big enough for a guy my size to ride comfortably more than six hours a day. From what I've ready about the Honda, it's better suited for tall people. And the Versys vibrations get to you after a few hours.

On the other hand, I can hang off it and ride on twisty mountain roads like I'm on a sportbike.

It's an incredibly, exhiliratingly fun bike that's comfortable for the first three or four hours (if you're a tall guy). If that appeals to you, get one.
Merckx the Cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

^^ At least he's honest.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #30
Nick Minneeesotin
Kawi Rider

Oddometer: 368
I was worried about being too tall (6'1") reading about the Versys but I can’t even flat foot the Versys. If your height is all in your legs get the pegs lowered ya damn ostridge lol I think it’s a perfect fit being 6'1"

I got the bike new with zero miles on 04/01/13 it’s now 08/07/13 I have just about 6,000 miles in 4months time.

I ride it 24mi. to work then 24mi. home every day rain or shine mon-fri. I cannot get to work mad or get home mad with the Versys being in my daily life and that’s no joke.

I go on 2up day trips on weekends that are around 500mi. each with no complaints.

With 64HP I always short shift at 4500RPMs day to day riding in traffic. The engine feels like a 650 vtwin power band below 5500RPMs. When I want to have a spirited ride I just bump up above 5500RPMs and the bike becomes a totally different beast begging to be opened up to 9000RPMs.

I really have nothing to complain about, the Versys was a perfect match for my riding life.

Nick Minneeesotin is offline   Reply With Quote