Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #46
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve Nick View Post
The Honda is way too heavy, 220 kg dry weight.
That figure is wildly inaccurate. It weighs less than that full of fuel and ready to ride. Plenty of published wet weights for both place the difference at 7 to 8 kg.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #47
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve Nick View Post
The Honda is way too heavy, 220 kg dry weight.
After riding both and not knowing about the weight figures, you'd think the
NC was 50-80lbs lighter then the V.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #48
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Why do you have to 'get used to the engine'?
It feels like a big single, you can lug it all day,
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #49
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky004 View Post
It feels like a big single, you can lug it all day,
Big singles don't like to be lugged, they usually don't "work" below 2500-3000
revs, and while that might seem low, it's already half the available revs so it
can't be called lugging.

The NC on the other hand works well at 2000 revs in all gears but 6th.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #50
chucky004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Big singles don't like to be lugged, they usually don't "work" below 2500-3000
revs, and while that might seem low, it's already half the available revs so it
can't be called lugging.

The NC on the other hand works well at 2000 revs in all gears but 6th.
WSi I take it an xr 650 or 600 has to be wrapped to get power, I dont think so, I am talking about an older four stroke not a modern 450. Every one who has had a big Honda thumper knows what I am talking about, it's called torque not rpms...
chucky004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #51
longdude17 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Well I'm still undecided on what to buy....let's expand the comparison. How does either the verses or Honda compare to the triumph tiger???? I know its a bit more pricey but is it worth it???
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #52
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdude17 View Post
Well I'm still undecided on what to buy....let's expand the comparison. How does either the verses or Honda compare to the triumph tiger???? I know its a bit more pricey but is it worth it???
IMO yes, it is. If you have the $$ there's no question. The new XC or roadie stands way beyond either. I've always said, don't go ride one unless you're prepared to pony up the bucks, cuz you won't get it out of your head. After my test ride on both T800 and XC I got back on my Versys to ride home. After that I just didn't want to ride it any more. Now it was just which one? For an old-time dirtbiker the XC was the natural choice.

The tiger has a LOT more zoom than the honda. No question. It's enough to keep an expert not-bored.

Here's my first road trip:

Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #53
TNsticks
Uber-n00b

Oddometer: 46
Man this is a great thread. I'm kinda in your same boat, but $ is an issue for me. I got about 6-10 months or so to play with. I think I'm gonna try and grab a NCX if I can find one already dirt/tour ready (engine guards, plate, and luggage) for under $5k. I'll probably end up with a thumper or somwthing. I really want those MPGs and Road comforts, but (though not exciting in zip) I want to explore the "pig paths". I just think the NCX is what I'm looking for.

I know what will happen though, I'll be out with my older friends on thier GS bikes and feel like a runt. Are MPGs worth it? I think so. If I even find one at the right price for me with the right stuff. I'll probably end up with some thumper 650 that's loaded with extras and miles. It'll be fun for a couple of years, and then I'll resale at probably little to no loss and find one at the right $.

If I had the $, I'd grab up one of those sweet looking KTM adventure bikes. Their dirt counterparts are crazy zippy! and if they have a somewhat smooth ride for road.... I bet they would be fun.
TNsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #54
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
They're probably not even comparable.. a much more serious bike in every way.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #55
longdude17 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Hmmmmmm....interesting. The tiger 800xc is the bike I'm interested in now, soooo for roughly $4000 more I get a much better bike in all aspects (ride, quality, motor, suspension, power fun factor etc.)... right??

Is it really worth the investment??? How does longevity compare?
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #56
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Hmmmmmm....interesting. The tiger 800xc is the bike I'm interested in now, soooo for roughly $4000 more I get a much better bike in all aspects (ride, quality, motor, suspension, power fun factor etc.)... right??

Is it really worth the investment??? How does longevity compare?
These things are so hard to quantify. A few weeks ago I rode for a while with a very nice guy on a Tiger XC. We were both on our way to the BYOB at Seneca Rocks, WV. Me from FL on my NC700 and he from VA. We started talking at a gas station on 42. We rode for a while on VA 42 then cut off onto some small gravel and asphalt 1 1/2 lane roads through Jefferson National Forest to VA 311 to Paint Bank, VA where we had lunch. I rode just as fast on these roads and on the switchbacks of 311 climbing the mountain south of Paint Bank. I never once wished I had any bike other than the one I was on for that entire 2500 mile trip.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #57
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
How does longevity compare?
I think they all (Versys, NCX, Tiger 800) are too new for any one to stand out regarding longevity.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #58
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny662 View Post
I think they all (Versys, NCX, Tiger 800) are too new for any one to stand out regarding longevity.
I would agree on the Honda, but suspect troublefree operation from them.

Possibly on the Tiger, although there quite a few examples well over 40K miles, and VERY few failures of any kind on them generally.

The versys for sure, longevity well proven and very long lived with very low maintenance costs. I call it KLR reliability.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #59
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
These things are so hard to quantify. A few weeks ago I rode for a while with a very nice guy on a Tiger XC. We were both on our way to the BYOB at Seneca Rocks, WV. Me from FL on my NC700 and he from VA. We started talking at a gas station on 42. We rode for a while on VA 42 then cut off onto some small gravel and asphalt 1 1/2 lane roads through Jefferson National Forest to VA 311 to Paint Bank, VA where we had lunch. I rode just as fast on these roads and on the switchbacks of 311 climbing the mountain south of Paint Bank. I never once wished I had any bike other than the one I was on for that entire 2500 mile trip.
Off pavement a guy will tend to ride about the same speed regardless of what his bike is unless it's just not up to the terrain - like suspension that bottoms out.

The problem with keeping up would be with someone with a lot of experience that rides FAST, you would get left behind on the honda vs tiger. Since the bike is more capable a good rider can learn to operate at a faster overall clip over many miles. The group ride I was on with 3 other tigers I had to keep stopping and waiting for them. They just pretty much rode the same speed over the road. When I'm in twisties and find an open straight I won't hesitate to run it to a hundred. Fast-paced accelleration and sweepers are what make it fun as long as it's safe. The tiger will do 40mph in first gear, and will accellerate from 40 up in 6th gear. The torque band is extremely wide/long and quite linear. IMO the performance level attainable is much higher with the tiger 800. I have to admit I have not ridden the Honda. Compared to the Versys, well, it's just a lot smoother but maybe not a lot faster thru the twisties. The versys corners like a little sportbike, especially with sticky road tires.

I don't know exactly what the rated HP is on the honda, but seems to me it's like 51. It's just not gonna be the same compared to 95 on the tiger. There are plenty of bigger bikes with more HP, but most of the time the riders don't use it. Like the Multistrada with 150.

Seems to me the Versys is like 67, and it's pretty light.

The weight on the Tiger was a big draw for me. I'm old and weak, probably couldn't pick it up if it dropped over. So 40-50lbs more than the Versys seemed like a reasonable increase to be able to deal with. After 8K miles I'm now sure of it.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #60
donny662
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I would agree on the Honda, but suspect troublefree operation from them.

Possibly on the Tiger, although there quite a few examples well over 40K miles, and VERY few failures of any kind on them generally.

The versys for sure, longevity well proven and very long lived with very low maintenance costs. I call it KLR reliability.
I meant to convey that neither have been shown to be lacking in longevity, yet. Although, you are right that the Versys does have some more history. I expect nearly all Japanese motorcycles from the past two decades will last forever in terms of miles, if taken care of and ridden regularly, for the majority of riders. European motorcycles from the last decade are similar, I think.

Hobbes: Like that book report you're supposed to be writing now on the book you haven't read?

Calvin: Exactly. Case in point.
donny662 is offline   Reply With Quote