Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #16
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
I'd do without the suitcase and just box up my panniers.

Then I'd get one of these to haul the box to the airport and to the bike rental place.

I'd do that stuff because I recently did something very simular without a problem.

PS United lets you have a box with an overall total of 62" and 50lbs for $50
Bigger and the price goes up.

I.e. 30" x 17" x 15" = 62"

Then again I was only going one way so I didn't want to have to account for (or throw away) a suitcase.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 03:05 PM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
Martin,

funny coincidence that you responded because after I saw your posts, I have been researching the option of buying a bike through you and storing it there some of the time. My trip will likely take place late April, so I will start looking at bikes and talking to you in January. I was gonna ship my R1100GS at a $2,000 cost but from what I saw, I can get a better bike in Ireland for maybe 4K.

But yeah, most of adv bikes in Ireland seem to come with factory cases as opposed to third party boxes.

I guess I don't need to add much more to the info you have already seen here on ADV.
Don't stress too much about bringing in luggage, plenty of bikes here with luggage already on them.
You can set up an alert system on done deal to let you know when the bike you want turns up for sale.
If your a GS rider, you may like the Honda Varadero.

Example
http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-fo...1000cc/5417911
Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 615
If you are planning to keep the bike over there and return why not use the side cases for luggage and then leave them there on the bike. Maybe even buy a set when you get there.
I live in Canada but keep a bike in various different southern states for winter riding. I leave luggage, camping gear,boots, helmet ect with the bike. (that also gives me an excuse to buy new gear for up here. ) When the urge hits I and usually the wife just go to the airport with a tank bag and wearing riding jackets,pants and pair of sandels. No luggage to check at all. No muss no fuss.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 615
Hey Wheatwhacker. Glad to see you are still doing your thing living over there. Never got to meet you in California. Could happen yet!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Hey Wheatwhacker. Glad to see you are still doing your thing living over there. Never got to meet you in California. Could happen yet!
Anything is possible.
An inmate from OZ found me here on ADV and, 3 weeks later he was sipping beer in my local before his Euro trip on his "own" motorcycle.
Canada is a lot closer than Australia :)

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 11:23 AM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
RRVT OP
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
If you are planning to keep the bike over there and return why not use the side cases for luggage and then leave them there on the bike. Maybe even buy a set when you get there.
I live in Canada but keep a bike in various different southern states for winter riding. I leave luggage, camping gear,boots, helmet ect with the bike. (that also gives me an excuse to buy new gear for up here. ) When the urge hits I and usually the wife just go to the airport with a tank bag and wearing riding jackets,pants and pair of sandels. No luggage to check at all. No muss no fuss.
Yeah, I think in the end for this scenario my best bet is to equip the bike the way I like it (and absorb whatever luggage fees or shipping costs it takes), and then keep all the stuff with the bike, including all the gear, toolkit, and clothing. Since the bike might end up stored in different parts of Europe between trips, I will not have to worry about carrying too much stuff with me. Just a carry-on bag with a laptop, GPS, toiletries and a bottle of whiskey from a duty free shop...
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
My advise--if you are thinking of lugging big alum side boxes, don't bother, way too heavy. A pair of soft saddlebags or something like the Givi Monokey cases (super light) will do great.
A 45 litre Givi Monokey weighs more than my 45 litre Happy Trail pannier, and would get pretty beat up as airline luggage.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #23
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
How much would it cost to ship them separately? Last time I was in Anchorage Dad and I UPS'd our luggage home because it was cheaper than the airline costs for extra luggage. UPS delivered my dirty clothes to my front door. I have also known people to ship luggage to a hotel where they were going to be staying. Just an option. It may not be cheaper anymore.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #24
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
A 45 litre Givi Monokey weighs more than my 45 litre Happy Trail pannier, and would get pretty beat up as airline luggage.
It doesn't weight "much" more and I'll bet you dollars to donuts that a GIVI case will be in far better shape than a Happy Trails or Touratech aluminum pannier after being checked in.

They toss the bags around and down chutes and slides. Betcha that aluminum case comes back to ya with enough dings and dents that the top no longer closes neatly.

The GIVI may have a scuff or two but it will still be solid.

If the 45 liter case you are talking about is the E45, those are weaker and a bit flimsier than their other cases, those are their economy line, but still pretty tough.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Use a pelican case.
The plane could crash into the ocean and the case would float to the top with your stuff still dry inside.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
more advice on packing for Euro ride

I have a Varadero over there - got it in Ireland with Wheatwhacker's great help. I held off buying until I found a bike equipped with what I wanted. It has Hepco & Becker Alu Standard top and side cases. I bought liners for them here in the US, and pack them here, then take them as carry on luggage. I'm sure that whatever I show up with there will fit inside. I use a padded duffel bag to check in the boots, helmets, jackets, etc. I then ship from my arrival point to my departure point hotel or to a friend who lives in my departure city. It'd be easier to leave the gear there, but we don't have 4 sets of gear (always ride with my wife).

Great plan: You could buy a naked bike and outfit it over there. Martin can probably help you.
Not so good plan: You could buy a naked bike and ship your soft luggage over and fit it there.

Ken Fritz screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 09:50 AM
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote