User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Alaska to NOLA - 2014 Scooter Cannonball

They announced the start/end cities and dates for the 2014 scooter cannonball. I'm trying to figure out how to get a Vespa GTS to Hyder, Alaska when I can't take 5 weeks off work to ride both ways. Looks like I may have to sit this one out after all.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
gaijinrider
Positively positive

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
They announced the start/end cities and dates for the 2014 scooter cannonball. I'm trying to figure out how to get a Vespa GTS to Hyder, Alaska when I can't take 5 weeks off work to ride both ways. Looks like I may have to sit this one out after all.
Have you considered air freight via Alaska Air?
I have read in another thread that Alaska Air can ship bikes but it may cost at least $1,500. If that's beyond your budget, then you WILL need to sit this one out.
gaijinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
dbzeag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Yeah I really wanted to hit this up, too. The drive back from New Orleans to Houston isn't that big a deal. It's getting to Hyder that's the issue. I might have a lead on that, though, with a friend running as a support truck. I might be able to wrangle a spot on his trailer, we shall see.
dbzeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinrider View Post
Have you considered air freight via Alaska Air?
I have read in another thread that Alaska Air can ship bikes but it may cost at least $1,500. If that's beyond your budget, then you WILL need to sit this one out.
Looks like around $800 by ferry from Bellingham. Alaska Air doesn't fly to Hyder. Closest airport is in Terrence 300 miles away and it is puddle jumpers from what I can see.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Pretty much the usual "name brand" rider list. Sure would be interesting if a more generic GY6 Znen variation, or a TaoTao, participated in the event . . but the expense excludes many.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,393
It does look like the cost of participating in the event would be more than for a decent scooter.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Pretty much the usual "name brand" rider list. Sure would be interesting if a more generic GY6 Znen variation, or a TaoTao, participated in the event . . but the expense excludes many.
Chinese scooters won't hack it...they have a hard enough time just as a commuter scoot.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It does look like the cost of participating in the event would be more than for a decent scooter.
My biggest expense is going to be hotel/motel, then food, then parts/prep/maintenance for the scoot, then gas...but yeah it'll cost me about $3k I think for everything
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #9
greg531
greg531

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Chinese scooters won't hack it...they have a hard enough time just as a commuter scoot.
Most breakdowns in my club....are the Chinese scooters...............
I can't believe there are no BMW's.....

greg531 screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 11:18 PM
greg531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #10
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Isn't there an engine size limit? A local guy told me he couldn't enter his Forza.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg531 View Post
Most breakdowns in my club....are the Chinese scooters
Sometimes just "luck of the draw". Some Xingyue GY6-B 150cc engine comparisons . . this one dropped a valve seat . . another has over 40,000 miles with no major issues.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Isn't there an engine size limit? A local guy told me he couldn't enter his Forza.
250cc per the rules . . Honda Forza is 279cc.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting that the expense discussion thread at Modern Buddy has been locked. No explanation was posted?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sometimes just "luck of the draw". Some Xingyue GY6-B 150cc engine comparisons . . this one dropped a valve seat . . another has over 40,000 miles with no major issues.
That person doesn't know how to read a speedometer/odometer. It is only 40,000 kilometers, comes out to 24k miles. But knowing chinese bikes the reading is very inaccurate, I'm guessing at least 10% off and I'm not just talking about the speedometer which most bikes are, but the odometer is very optimistic as well. I have done many laps around a given test course and the readings are always off. The most miles I have seen from a chinese bike is about 25k miles on the odometer when I was working at a chinese scooter shop. The guy rides it on the bike lane and never exceeds 15mph...that bike was the most beat up bike I had ever seen that was still running. It ran like shit and took a dozen tries to start and everything was so loose and sloppy. But it still ran.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting that the expense discussion thread at Modern Buddy has been locked. No explanation was posted?
I think the OP was offended by my post. I wanted him to rethink his approach on doing SCB. He got two HD200 one as a backup parts bike...totally unnecessary as Patrick has shown on more then one occasion. His hotel was really high too..seemed like he didn't have a roommate. I have a roommate and our rates aren't even near his rates..not sure what was going on there. He also showed ferrying cost, much cheaper to just ride up from Seattle or ship to Prince George and ride up. Getting all brand new gear too, just ride what you got is fine and if he is gonna get new gear anyways then that gets amortized, it isn't just gonna be only for this trip. When I did AK a few years ago I spent about $2k. This time around it'll be about $3k, the extra $1k will be for hotel during the CBR.