Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
That person doesn't know how to read a speedometer/odometer.
Related comment.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #17
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Is number 99 who they say they are?
Old 04-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #18
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Interesting that the expense discussion thread at Modern Buddy has been locked. No explanation was posted?
Kind of a joke that singular opinions are allowed there. Obviously things can be done differently.

Bin, post up your results there after you complete the run! Lol.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg531 View Post
Most breakdowns in my club....are the Chinese scooters...............
I can't believe there are no BMW's.....
Max engine size is 250cc, the only BMW scoot I can think of that would qualify is the C1 and you almost never see one of those.

Not all the scoots participating are expensive. You've got a Yamaha C3 50cc, a Buddy, several Stellas including two with sidecars. Multiple Honda Helixes and a few other Hondas, Syms have done very well in previous cannoballs. Though I grant you almost half are Vespas with the GT 200 being the single most popular. If you add in Aprila Sports Cities and Piaggio BVs that brings the family up to half of the participants.

Personally I wouldn't trust a Chinese scoot to get me from Seattle to Hyder much less all the way to NOLA. I'd ride one of the 35-50 year old Vespas n or 37 year old Helixes competing before I'd ride modern Chinese.

As for costs I'm looking at approximately $3,500. I'm replacing a fair bit of gear after last year's accident and upgrading my luggage since I discovered how not waterproof the old stuff was despite the so called rain covers but I didn't include that in cannonball costs because I'd be replacing the gear and luggage anyway.

That's without a room share unless my husband decides to come along after all I'll not be sharing a room - my choice. He goes back and forth because of lost time from work. I looked at the spreadsheet on Modern Buddy and don't know where the $178 hotel came in since not one of mine is anywhere near that. It looks like he's including the Hilton at Amerivespa in his estimate given the price quoted but whatever. Frankly, I wouldn't be doing the cannonball if I had to spend $10k to do it either but I'd be surprised if I spend half that including the replacement gear. About the only cannonball specific parts I've purchased that wouldn't be bought right now anyway is a set of rims and tires to swap out if I need to. The tires will be used at some point in the future so that not a big deal leaving only the $200 I paid for the rims. The USB port would have probably gone on a different scoot but that was under $20. We had the Spot (Philmont and other backpack trips my husband/son have done) and the GoPro. Probably add one month of Canada roaming to my ATT cellphone so that's another $25. In 2012 I took a 4,400 mile 15 day trip on the scoot from Colorado to Michigan and back which cost about $2,450 so the cannonball isn't that much more expensive. Most of the additional expense is getting to the start, extra tires premounted on rims and a few spare parts I wouldn't normally carry. On the 2012 trip I made arrangements for new tire and service in Lake Geneva, WI while I was there for Amerivespa. On the cannonball I am carrying them myself.

cdwise screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 07:17 PM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #20
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
the most expensive hotel for me is in Jasper at $164 then Hyder for $115, everything else is under $100. Including three nights in NOLA it'll be less then $800 for me splitting with roomies. I think making reservations later increased cost in some locations, compared to the folks that made them right away.

When I rode to the Arctic Circle a few years ago it only cost me a little over $2k, that was almost an 8k mile round trip that took 24ish days. With this trip cause I'm hotel/motel during the CBR and camping there and back compared to camping all the way on my Arctic Circle trip it'll be around $3k.

Didn't relies there were so many GT200, they have a good handicap over the GTS250. I think the GT will be more competitive then the GTS because of the handicap. Only problem I see for them is the elevation gain with a carb.

You don't need to get an extra wheel it is just too bulky. Plan it out so that you'll do a tire change at the hotel/motel later that day and I'll remove/mount the tire. My fee is a hot meal...I'll need it after wrestling the old off and new on.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #21
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

FWIW I don't think remounted tires take up that much more space than uncounted. They do weigh more which would be a concern if shipping but mine are going a support truck leaving Houston whether or not my scoot goes on it. I'm hoping to not need them since the Sports City got around 9.000 on the stock rear and over13,800 on the stock front. So if I have to change tires I expect it to be because of a flat not scheduled due to wear. I get a hotel free night since Dillion is only 16.5 miles from our place near Breckenridge so I will sleep in my own bed that night.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #22
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

In that case put on new tires before you go and you should be good. I recommend the Michelin Pilot City Grip, they love you long time. All you need to bring is rope plug kit and you should be good to go.

DaBinChe screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 11:30 AM
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,840
[QUOTE=cdwise;23929190................. I'm hoping to not need them since the Sports City got around 9.000 on the stock rear and over13,800 on the stock front. ........................[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed you got that many miles out of the stock tire. I've got 19,900 miles on my Sport City and am on the 6th rear tire. The stock rear tire was replaced at 3200 miles. It wasn't completely worn out but I was going on a weekend trip. The stock front lasted 8300 miles. I'm on my 3rd front tire.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #24
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm amazed you got that many miles out of the stock tire. I've got 19,900 miles on my Sport City and am on the 6th rear tire. The stock rear tire was replaced at 3200 miles. It wasn't completely worn out but I was going on a weekend trip. The stock front lasted 8300 miles. I'm on my 3rd front tire.
You aren't the only one but we bought the scoot with a little over 200 miles on it. So unless the used so I suppose they could have put a tire other than stock on there but who knows. I do know the front tire was stock because I'd the one who looked at it and immediately got pissed off at my son for not having changed it earlier. The current rear is a City Grip with maybe 4k on it and still looks really good.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #25
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
In that case put on new tires before you go and you should be good. I recommend the Michelin Pilot City Grip, they love you long time. All you need to bring is rope plug kit and you should be good to go.
That's what I'm planning on doing. Have a tire plug kit that lives under the seat whenever I'm travelling. Since I was stuck waiting 4 days for a tire when the last 15" zipped off on me I'll still have the mounted spares on the support truck. :)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #26
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Took a look at the rider list...the one that got my attention was the 1939 Cushman, googling its image it doesn't look capable...more RV resort run about. I think that's my dark horse in this race.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #27
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Took a look at the rider list...the one that got my attention was the 1939 Cushman, googling its image it doesn't look capable...more RV resort run about. I think that's my dark horse in this race.
Dude is using an 1985 engine, I'm guessing a honda motor, so is pretty modern but he has lots of tricks up his sleeve. He did win the last cannonball by a long shot, no one came even close to him in points. I see him as my biggest competitor. We probably have about the same top speed. Not sure what types of mods he is doing besides a modern motor, I'm guessing better fork, wheels, and maybe rear suspension.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #28
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
he has lots of tricks up his sleeve. He did win the last cannonball by a long shot, no one came even close to him in points.
VERY controversial 2012 Scooter Cannonball "game the system" entry.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #29
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
VERY controversial 2012 Scooter Cannonball "game the system" entry.
I didn't have any problems with what he did. He followed the rules that was laid out. This year's rule prevents that from happening again but at the same time I wasn't able to ride my moped cause the rules disqualifies it. That would of been KICKASS if I could do it on my moped.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #30
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Len's a member of this forum and his Frankenscoot kicked ass, basically all engine and gas tank when I saw it in Abilene during the 2012 cannonball. The Yamaha C3 is the one I'd consider the RV park scoot but he's done it before in 2010 and is doing it again. I'll take my hat off for that pair as well. Took a little 180 mile ride today in some funky wind conditions as part of my prep since I know Wyoming is almost certainly going to be windy. I don't think I know anyone who has ever crossed it without winds of some sort ranging from mild to 50mph with occasionally stronger gusts. I know its picked up a Scarabeo 500 and moved it over at least 12' and off the road in the blink of an eye totaling the Scarabeo. From personal experience I know it will move a BV 500 over a full lane in that same blink. I was just lucky enough to be in a better starting position. Fingers crossed we don't have those sort of winds while we are on the cannonball.