Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #31
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,474
Is DaBinChe the only ADV guy doing the Cannonball?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #32
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
No, Len is and while I'm not a guy I am also doing the cannonball on our Sports City.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #33
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
while I'm not a guy I am also doing the cannonball on our Sports City.
Cool!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #34
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
I didn't have any problems with what he did. He followed the rules that was laid out. This year's rule prevents that from happening again but at the same time I wasn't able to ride my moped cause the rules disqualifies it. That would of been KICKASS if I could do it on my moped.
That would take forever!

Take a Symba.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Dude is using an 1985 engine, I'm guessing a honda motor, so is pretty modern but he has lots of tricks up his sleeve. He did win the last cannonball by a long shot, no one came even close to him in points. I see him as my biggest competitor. We probably have about the same top speed. Not sure what types of mods he is doing besides a modern motor, I'm guessing better fork, wheels, and maybe rear suspension.
I didn't notice the engine, I seen the model year, thought 'no SH#T?" and popped open another tab and image google '1939 cushman'.. the lay out doesn't look...right for x-country.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #36
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
I didn't notice the engine, I seen the model year, thought 'no SH#T?" and popped open another tab and image google '1939 cushman'.. the lay out doesn't look...right for x-country.
The down side to a Cushman is the tiny wheels then the lack of suspension...I want to see what he up his sleeves. Many that did the last CBR didn't like his setup but it involved a lot of work to do what he did. It's easy to just buy a bike and go at it as it....anyone can do that but he created something that ran really well.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #37
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The down side to a Cushman is the tiny wheels then the lack of suspension...I want to see what he up his sleeves. Many that did the last CBR didn't like his setup but it involved a lot of work to do what he did. It's easy to just buy a bike and go at it as it....anyone can do that but he created something that ran really well.
I agree. I too am looking forward to seeing what Len does with the Cushman. I know some folks might be upset with what he does to classic scoots but then I doubt he starts with a pristine classic.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #38
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
I agree. I too am looking forward to seeing what Len does with the Cushman. I know some folks might be upset with what he does to classic scoots but then I doubt he starts with a pristine classic.
as long as one stays within the rules as written...
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #39
adoptamutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Chinese scooters won't hack it...they have a hard enough time just as a commuter scoot.
Too bad a major Chinese scooter company, distributor, or even dealer doesn't take advantage of this opportunity to sponsor a mainland Chinese scooter for this event. Just think if they took a Tao Tao or SSR off the shelf, ran the Cannonball, and actually finished it ! It would go a long way to help their image. I think winning the Cannonball a few years ago really help put SYM and their HD200 on the map (it helped me decide to pick one up last year ..)

Of course, maybe they know their product will blow up just after the starting line and they don't want the negative publicity .
Old 04-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #40
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptamutt View Post
Too bad a major Chinese scooter company, distributor, or even dealer doesn't take advantage of this opportunity to sponsor a mainland Chinese scooter for this event. Just think if they took a Tao Tao or SSR off the shelf, ran the Cannonball, and actually finished it ! It would go a long way to help their image. I think winning the Cannonball a few years ago really help put SYM and their HD200 on the map (it helped me decide to pick one up last year ..)

Of course, maybe they know their product will blow up just after the starting line and they don't want the negative publicity .
People who are into doing something like the Scooter Cannonball aren't into Chinese Scooters. If Keeway was still in the US, their Outlook would have been a good choice, and I might have been tempted to try one, and companies like CFMoto and QLink make vehicles that might have been able to take this on, but they also left the US.
What surprises me about the Rider List is how few Kymcos there are, given what a big presence they are in this Country.

Motovista screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 12:32 PM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #41
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,915
I live in NOLA. If any of you need anything at all while you are here, please let me know. If you think you might want anything from a cold beer to a place to crash, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Paul
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #42
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Are you guys going to do a thread in the ride report? That would be cool.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #43
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Are you guys going to do a thread in the ride report? That would be cool.
I will probably do one, if I have any energy at the end of the day. We spent yesterday prepping the bike, and got about 80% of it out of the way. It's a Vespa GT200. I also got my new helmet for the event yesterday, a Shark Evoline 3. It's been so long since I wore a full face or modular that it took about three hours of riding to get used to it.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #44
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

No guarantees I'll post anywhere but I will be attempting to update my blog along the way. Possibly Modern Vespa with this in third place if I have energy to do any of them.

1,800 miles in the last 6 days between our anniversary weekend in the Texas hill country and a business trip to Oklahoma. Only 1 day with no miles on a scoot inbetween the two trips as part of my cannonball prep. Okay, it wasn't the one I will be riding but I'm more concerned with condition my body right now than anything else.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #45
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
I will probably do one, if I have any energy at the end of the day. We spent yesterday prepping the bike, and got about 80% of it out of the way. It's a Vespa GT200. I also got my new helmet for the event yesterday, a Shark Evoline 3. It's been so long since I wore a full face or modular that it took about three hours of riding to get used to it.
Surprise you are running a vespa and never expected you to be a vespa person. Thought you would be running some chinese brand scoot considering you always mentioned how high quality some of them are.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote