Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #61
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I don't have a Buddy. My duck paddles don't fit the floorboard!
My bad. I just assumed by all your posts on Modern Buddy that you owned one. Sorry your SYM got stolen. That does suck. Hopefully you can make it to NOLA and celebrate debinche's victory by giving him a "professional" massage. Who knows, you just might get your tires changed.

Motovista screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 01:36 AM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #62
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Very true about having one vs not. I think I'll get a big made in china sticker to put on the scoot just to rub it in. I really did seriously consider the SH but felt that the extra work in getting the rear wheel off/on and lack of storage wasn't worth it. Beside the SH would give me 10 more in handicap so I'll have to really maintain a higher overall average speed. I'm excited that I have the second smallest displacement all the while will be very competitive. The dude in the 50cc won't be competitive...I think my scoot is the smallest you can go and still be competitive. So the Cushman will be my biggest competitor then next will be the HD200. I don't see any of the vintage vespa beating my elite110 cause they have the same or higher handicap. I don't see the buddy125 as a competitor either, close but....and as for everyone else their handicap is just too high to be competitive.
I am sorry to miss this race, but it is to far away. Since you understand the handicap, what would it be on a stock 175cc 1960 Heinkel Tourist? What is your cruising speed on the 110?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #63
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

I found a handicap calculator

Seems I would have a handicap of 84 on my 1960. Can you explain the implications had I run(registration is closed)? My 1965 would get an 87. I just looked at the lineup. 84 would have been a good handicap for a scooter that can go 57 all day. At least it looks that way.

scootrboi screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 05:32 AM
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #64
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Seems I would have a handicap of 84 on my 1960. Can you explain the implications had I run(registration is closed)? My 1965 would get an 87. I just looked at the lineup. 84 would have been a good handicap for a scooter that can go 57 all day. At least it looks that way.
My thought would be that this is first and foremost an endurance ride. You have to finish to win it; reliability of the scooter and capability of the rider are key.

Your Heinkel would no doubt be competitive, but far beyond that, to me the pure cool factor of attacking a cross country ride and the accomplishment of actually finishing far outweighs any consideration of how high your chances are of winning it.

In my case, I applaud anyone who attempts it, because I sincerely doubt that I could actually complete the distance, given the wrist, shoulder and neck issues that crop up whenever I attempt rides of any decent length. I am quite sure if I put my mind to it I could make my P200 reliable and equipped with enough spares to get it back on the road to finish. It's myself that would be the questionable weaker link.

The other thing is, wherever you stopped for the night, your Heinkel would get a ton of attention, so you'ld have that going for you too

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #65
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
A couple of people have dropped out, so you could probably get in, and based solely on your handicap and how fast your scooter can go all day, it's a safe bet that you will come in second, after DaBinche.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #66
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
My thought would be that this is first and foremost an endurance ride. You have to finish to win it; reliability of the scooter and capability of the rider are key.

Your Heinkel would no doubt be competitive, but far beyond that, to me the pure cool factor of attacking a cross country ride and the accomplishment of actually finishing far outweighs any consideration of how high your chances are of winning it.

In my case, I applaud anyone who attempts it, because I sincerely doubt that I could actually complete the distance, given the wrist, shoulder and neck issues that crop up whenever I attempt rides of any decent length. I am quite sure if I put my mind to it I could make my P200 reliable and equipped with enough spares to get it back on the road to finish. It's myself that would be the questionable weaker link.

The other thing is, wherever you stopped for the night, your Heinkel would get a ton of attention, so you'ld have that going for you too
Well of course the attention is a lot of fun.I was watching with interest for the information on the new Cannonball, but I won't go to Alaska. If it starts or ends somewhere near here next time I would have to do it, I am sure I can, and have confidence in the scooter, but I would have to ride to the starting line from Vermont. You are right about the cool time, but competition is much more interesting if one enters with the intention to win. I think my scoot was ahead of its time in 1960, made for touring, and routinely beat motorcycles in endurance races, and I am an expert at fixing it. So I would have a chance I would think.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #67
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post

Once you factor out Lee's specialty built event bikes, I think to be competitive you have to run a bike that is old, but easy to keep on the road, like the 60s and 70s Vespas, or modern, LC, and with a low enough handicap that the speed and reliability advantages come into play. The HD200 and SH150 seem ideally suited for this type of event because of their reliability, displacement, fuel economy, comfort, and speed. You can run either of those bikes at high speed all day long, they will keep up with the 250cc bikes, and should be faster through a lot of the crap roads than the bigger bikes and vintage stuff. You run into some crap weather, and that's the bike that's going to have an easier time getting through it. An old BV200 or Piaggio powered Scarabeo would also be a good candidate, due to the ease of getting parts, but they are statistically less likely to have the reliability of the Honda or SYM. Ergonomically, big wheel scooters are going to tire the rider out less than some of the more traditional designs. Modern air cooled 4 Strokes are at a marked disadvantage in an event like this.
I considered several options to increase competitive advantage, including resleeving the Vespa to a 125 and either super or turbocharging it, or finding a late 90s Piaggio 125-180cc 2T engine and dropping it in, but the first idea was completely impractical, and I couldn't source a complete Piaggio 2T engine in a timely manner. I think that would have been a very competitive vehicle, because you can get about 10 more horses out of the 2T than the Leader 200, so it would be like having a 350cc engine, there are lots of performance parts for it, it's proven to be a very reliable and easy engine to maintain for the distance of an event like this, would have been much easier to work on on the road, and it would have lowered the handicap of the Vespa. It looks like it would bolt right in.
I think you could make a very competitive entry out of a 1990s LC 100cc 2 Stroke Minarelli, which I believe was imported in the Scarabeo, but try finding one. There are a lot of performance parts for that engine and it's proven very reliable. I even considered the Daelim Delfin 100, an air cooled 2 Stroke with a Honda designed engine, but couldn't find performance parts for it.
Who knows, maybe I'll like this enough that I'll want to do it again.

Motovista screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 09:56 AM
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #68
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
My bad. I just assumed by all your posts on Modern Buddy that you owned one. Sorry your SYM got stolen. That does suck. Hopefully you can make it to NOLA and celebrate debinche's victory by giving him a "professional" massage. Who knows, you just might get your tires changed.
For someone that likes to talk shit, I don't see you rising to the challenge. You have entered a competition to lose. Maybe you can hand out business cards? If anyone learns of your reputation they will most likely buy from someone that isn't a douche bag. I know that is why you never earned my business as a customer.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #69
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
For someone that likes to talk shit, I don't see you rising to the challenge. You have entered a competition to lose. Maybe you can hand out business cards? If anyone learns of your reputation they will most likely buy from someone that isn't a douche bag. I know that is why you never earned my business as a customer.
And all this time, I put it down to your lack of funds. Learn something new every day. Don't you have someone else you can stalk on another forum somewhere where you also can't afford to participate?

Motovista screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 10:16 AM
Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #70
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
The competition and shooting the shit with fellow competitors is what makes it fun and worth it...cause really the actual ride sucks once the mountains are left behind. If this ride was just about the endurance factor and the long haul then there are other things I would rather do like exploring AK more. Prior SCBR were interesting but wasn't enough to peak my interest and since I always wanted to do a SCBR I figured now or never. I don't see myself doing another one. I like the handicap system cause it lets all compete with each other unlike past SCBR and I think the handicap and rules really do make theoretically a very level event for everyone. The start location makes it that much more demanding. Veterans of SCBR say that the hardest part is getting to the start...in this case this is the hardest to get to starting point yet for this event. But yeah it is not just about the bike, but a competitive bike will makes it more interesting, it is also about the skill and mind set of the person.

What would make the event even better is to get rid of the support vehicles. An event where it is only the competitor that has to do it all, no lighting the load on a truck or someone else doing the repairs etc. But I realize that a person has to have a certain mindset and skill set to accomplish this thus a smaller group of competitors.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #71
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
And all this time, I put it down to your lack of funds. Learn something new every day. Don't you have someone else you can stalk on another forum somewhere where you also can't afford to participate?
You know, I think maybe some of the other places you try to self advertise should see your true character here. Maybe it is time to find you in your other frequents and help you lose more financial opportunity. I have the time. Can you pay the price for being a scumbag?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #72
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:

What would make the event even better is to get rid of the support vehicles. An event where it is only the competitor that has to do it all, no lighting the load on a truck or someone else doing the repairs etc. But I realize that a person has to have a certain mindset and skill set to accomplish this.
I agree, I would also get rid of GPS units. One thing that I didn't like about the Ironbutt was that once technology got into it, the person who won rode a lot less than most of the other riders, but was better at routing for points via computer.
I would like to have seen this event go up into the Ozarks before dropping down to New Orleans, that would have added about 500 miles to the route, though something tells me that by the time we are done, we will all be looking forward to getting off the bikes. I'm not sure if I'll do another one either, but the Alaska start got my interest too.. When you look at what this will cost, you could probably spend a couple months touring South America on a scooter for less, which would be a lot more fun.

Motovista screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 10:56 AM
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #73
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Quote:
You know, I think maybe some of the other places you try to self advertise should see your true character here. Maybe it is time to find you in your other frequents and help you lose more financial opportunity. I have the time. Can you pay the price for being a scumbag?
You really need to get a life, dude. But if you want to go all over the internet telling people where my site is and not to go there, that's fine too.

Motovista screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 10:55 AM
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #74
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
The competition and shooting the shit with fellow competitors is what makes it fun and worth it...cause really the actual ride sucks once the mountains are left behind. If this ride was just about the endurance factor and the long haul then there are other things I would rather do like exploring AK more. Prior SCBR were interesting but wasn't enough to peak my interest and since I always wanted to do a SCBR I figured now or never. I don't see myself doing another one. I like the handicap system cause it lets all compete with each other unlike past SCBR and I think the handicap and rules really do make theoretically a very level event for everyone. The start location makes it that much more demanding. Veterans of SCBR say that the hardest part is getting to the start...in this case this is the hardest to get to starting point yet for this event. But yeah it is not just about the bike, but a competitive bike will makes it more interesting, it is also about the skill and mind set of the person.

What would make the event even better is to get rid of the support vehicles. An event where it is only the competitor that has to do it all, no lighting the load on a truck or someone else doing the repairs etc. But I realize that a person has to have a certain mindset and skill set to accomplish this thus a smaller group of competitors.
That would be great if support vehicles were not allowed. It takes the challenge out of the event.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #75
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

clarification please

Quote:
A couple of people have dropped out, so you could probably get in, and based solely on your handicap and how fast your scooter can go all day, it's a safe bet that you will come in second, after DaBinche.
I am not used to handicaps and how they are calculated. But it seems to me that if I have a better handicap than DaBinChe (84 vs 92), and my scooter is faster, why do you assume I would finish after him?