Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #76
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
That would dramatically reduce the number of competitors. The prospect of being stranded somewhere in Alaska sounds grim.
True and since I have no first hand experience there it may be daunting without support. That being said, I have winged most every ride to my credit and persevered through unexpected hardships.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #77
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
memory lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
True and since I have no first hand experience there it may be daunting without support. That being said, I have winged most every ride to my credit and persevered through unexpected hardships.
Not going to go off with old stories but yes, travelling long distances, when things went wrong I found stamina and mental resources I did not know existed.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #78
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
I am not used to handicaps and how they are calculated. But it seems to me that if I have a better handicap than DaBinChe (84 vs 92), and my scooter is faster, why do you assume I would finish after him?
Cause I'm just too elite. Oh and FI helps on those 10k feet passes, that's where I'll have an advantage over those vintage bikes that have the same handicap. Yeah sure their scoots have higher top speed but them 2smokes can't maintain top speed all day long. This is where liquid cooling comes in.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #79
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That would dramatically reduce the number of competitors. The prospect of being stranded somewhere in Alaska sounds grim.
No worries, a few years ago when I rode up to the Arctic Circle there was internet EVERYWHERE. Yes it can be easily a hundred plus miles to civilization but there are very few roads so everyone has to travel the same routes so you see plenty of folks more so up there then in the middle of Nevada.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #80
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
No worries, a few years ago when I rode up to the Arctic Circle there was internet EVERYWHERE. Yes it can be easily a hundred plus miles to civilization but there are very few roads so everyone has to travel the same routes so you see plenty of folks more so up there then in the middle of Nevada.
I know that feeling of being in the middle of NV with no services... long walk with the bike!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #81
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Laugh

Quote:
Seems I would have a handicap of 84 on my 1960. Can you explain the implications had I run(registration is closed)? My 1965 would get an 87. I just looked at the lineup. 84 would have been a good handicap for a scooter that can go 57 all day. At least it looks that way.
For anyone else interested the handicap calculator is at http://www.scootercannonball.com/, scroll down.

Registration closed so they could finalize logistics and order bits and bobs for the registered riders. There have been a couple of folks drop out so if you really want to ride contact one of them and see if you can take over their registration.

FWIW, this is only the second distance ride where I've had any sort of support other than what I pre-arranged before leaving (tire replacement midway though a 4,400 mile ride). Including crossing Nevada solo well away from cell coverage and where I saw more wild horses than people, cars, trucks and motorcycles combined. Frankly, I'm looking forward to having the luxury of carrying spare tires on the support vehicle.

cdwise screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 06:03 PM
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #82
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

wise guy

Quote:
Cause I'm just too elite. Oh and FI helps on those 10k feet passes, that's where I'll have an advantage over those vintage bikes that have the same handicap. Yeah sure their scoots have higher top speed but them 2smokes can't maintain top speed all day long. This is where liquid cooling comes in.
Top speed is also top cruising speed, 5750 rpm. And it is a four stroke with an 84 handicap. Now sure this is academic, because you are competing and I am not, but wouldn't I be given a significant advantage over you from such a difference in handicap? It appears that they anticipate your scooter would easily outrun mine on a long trip, which is unlikely. Mine easily achieves 57 on the flat and will climb a long 5% grade in high gear at 40-45mph. I can adjust the main jet for altitude in ten minutes. I have a lot of confidence in you, and will be cheering for you when you race, but I would like to understand this better.

scootrboi screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 06:43 PM
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #83
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Now sure this is academic, because you are competing and I am not,r.
I couldn't have said it better. If someone makes a video game of the scooter cannonball and one of the scooters is your Heinkel, exactly as you describe it, it would probably win every time, except if you get eaten by the bear. The problem you run into is that you have to get up every morning for ten mornings in a row and ride over 350 miles. That's when all this amazing stuff your Heinkel is capable of really bears fruit.
I think DeBinChe is going to be a fierce competitor on his Honda, the reason I would have gone with the SH150 if I had his choice of bikes is that in the event, Godzilla Forbid, something happens to slow him down, he can make up time on the SH150 because it goes faster than the speed limit in most places. In the ideal world where your Heinkel and his 110 meet blue skies and sunshine every morning, the roads are clear, you can ride all day wide open and nothing happens, he is at an advantage because of the handicap. Once that changes, the advantage disappears because he can't make up time by riding faster than he should

Motovista screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 08:19 PM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #84
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Top speed is also top cruising speed, 5750 rpm. And it is a four stroke with an 84 handicap. Now sure this is academic, because you are competing and I am not, but wouldn't I be given a significant advantage over you from such a difference in handicap? It appears that they anticipate your scooter would easily outrun mine on a long trip, which is unlikely. Mine easily achieves 57 on the flat and will climb a long 5% grade in high gear at 40-45mph. I can adjust the main jet for altitude in ten minutes. I have a lot of confidence in you, and will be cheering for you when you race, but I would like to understand this better.
Actually with your handicap your scoot would beat mine. With my new gearing I can do 55mph all day long . I regularly climb over the Santa Cruz Mtns. twice a day four days a week and have never dropped below 45mph. That is when it is cold, when warm/hot my bike runs even stronger and can almost maintain 50mph. I basically go over 2000ft in under 10miles, what ever that comes out to in grade. Cool thing about my bike is that it is able to maintain high speeds surprisingly well in head wind, up hill, even two up. It's limitation has always been too low of gearing. The section of the CBR where I'll have a disadvantage is when we leave the mountains and get into the flatlands. This is where them big bikes can really open it up and take advantage of their top speed...but the thing with that is that they have to be concern about cops, traffic and such. In the mountains with the light weight and agility of the elite and my skill I will out run most everyone.

The SCBR is not just about the bike but also navigation, preparedness, etc....basically overall average speed is all that really matters. Those guys with the 123 handicap will have to be almost 30% faster average speed then me to beat me. So if I have an average speed of 50mph they will need to have an ave speed of 65mph. 65mph average doesn't seem like much but is pretty difficult to maintain even on a motorcycle. 50mph average is optimistic for me, pessimistic would be 40mph ave which means them guys with the 123 handicap still need to ave 52mph..this is much more do able for them. I'm gonna try to keep as close to an 50mph average as I can.

Or you can look at it this way, if I can average 50mph in 350miles it will take me 7hours they need to be able to go that same distance in 30% shorter time then me which is a little under 5hours. 350miles in 5hours is very difficult even on a motorcycle. 350miles in 5hours is what it take me to drive from SJ to LA on I5, and I'm doing about 80mph.

DaBinChe screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 09:12 PM
Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #85
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

I might have to get another SR50 to try this competition out. That would be a handicap there!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #86
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Actually with your handicap your scoot would beat mine. With my new gearing I can do 55mph all day long . I regularly climb over the Santa Cruz Mtns. twice a day four days a week and have never dropped below 45mph. That is when it is cold, when warm/hot my bike runs even stronger and can almost maintain 50mph. I basically go over 2000ft in under 10miles, what ever that comes out to in grade. Cool thing about my bike is that it is able to maintain high speeds surprisingly well in head wind, up hill, even two up. It's limitation has always been too low of gearing. The section of the CBR where I'll have a disadvantage is when we leave the mountains and get into the flatlands. This is where them big bikes can really open it up and take advantage of their top speed...but the thing with that is that they have to be concern about cops, traffic and such. In the mountains with the light weight and agility of the elite and my skill I will out run most everyone.

The SCBR is not just about the bike but also navigation, preparedness, etc....basically overall average speed is all that really matters. Those guys with the 123 handicap will have to be almost 30% faster average speed then me to beat me. So if I have an average speed of 50mph they will need to have an ave speed of 65mph. 65mph average doesn't seem like much but is pretty difficult to maintain even on a motorcycle. 50mph average is optimistic for me, pessimistic would be 40mph ave which means them guys with the 123 handicap still need to ave 52mph..this is much more do able for them. I'm gonna try to keep as close to an 50mph average as I can.

Or you can look at it this way, if I can average 50mph in 350miles it will take me 7hours they need to be able to go that same distance in 30% shorter time then me which is a little under 5hours. 350miles in 5hours is very difficult even on a motorcycle. 350miles in 5hours is what it take me to drive from SJ to LA on I5, and I'm doing about 80mph.
Your scooter is a curiosity to me. I have had a CH125 since it was new in 1984. It has the kind of pep and very good hill climbing ability you describe in yours. I think from my experience with that scooter one advantage you can use is fuel economy. You will not need to stop as often for fuel, which could be helpful. If you could carry a modest amount of extra fuel you would have unusual flexibility. What will hurt a lot of competitors is that they will always be needing fuel, many scooters use a lot under duress and have too small fuel tanks. I understand what you describe about maintaining speed with the CVT, running always in the best torque band is a fine place to be. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #87
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

mixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I might have to get another SR50 to try this competition out. That would be a handicap there!
An early 80s 125 or 150 Elite would be a good bike for this. Very light and powerful, but a downside would be the carburetor. The handicap would be 88 for the 125. With a better seat it might do well. The 125 weighs a mere 216 lb. and the 150 must be about the same. I think DaBinChe has a good concept going here, with the FI. He will be running under familiar conditions at high altitude and have no complications. High altitude, particularly changing altitude, will really mess some riders up. He will need no adjustments and will have predictable fuel stops.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #88
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

rough riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I give all the Cannonballers hugh props for what they are going to do and the conditions they will endure. Did my first decent ride of the season yesterday- 340 miles (on the BMW). Rode the Cherohala Skyway and back, and hit heavy rain last night. Thought about being on a scooter and all I could think was 'no way'. I've got a full windscreen, ABS, and heated grips, and was happy to have all of them.

The way I feel this morning I would not be all that thrilled to have to get up and do it again (tomorrow maybe ).

I watched the postings from the last two scooter Cannonballs, and will anxiously await the updates from the next one. Ya'll ride careful.
I think we will all enjoy the day by day adventures, and wish we were doing it. As long as no one gets eaten by the bear. There is nothing else like this race. I hope the next one is east of the Mississippi.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #89
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Does the route head through Vegas?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #90
cdwise OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
No, why would a route between Hyder, AK and New Orleans, LA go that far west?

FWIW, on stated goal of the folks who planned the route was to stay in the mountains as long as possible because who really wants to ride through North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas (gag) any more than they have to?

If you want route info check the general discussion forum on http://scootercannonball.com. Each day's route is laid out in its own thread.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote