ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What are your Favorite "All-Purpose" Safety Boots that work around town?
Vendramini Marathon/Marathon Steel 6 19.35%
Forma Cape Horn 6 19.35%
Daytona Roadstar GTX 5 16.13%
Other (Suggest in a post) 16 51.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #136
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Advanced Motorcycle Gear - Falco Raid

Todd says the RAID is their heavy duty street boot so I ordered a pair. Will report back when I get them.
They actually call them a 'crossover' boot. Webbikeworld says they are quite a bit more substantial than the Sidi Canyon. That's good enough for me - adventure riding with less than 10% off pavement. If I'm gonna do more offroad I'll wear my offroad boots.

BTW, one of our guys broke his foot last weekend wearing G-Midlands on a 950SE. He says next boots are crossfires for offroad.

www.AMG-USA.com - has just a few pairs of the Falco boots left - they are blowing them out for new inventory. Get them while you can.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #137
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Product Report - FALCO 480 RAID

Okay, boots arrived yesterday. They are every bit as nice as the Sidi On-Roads. Fit and finish is outstanding, they are comfortable out of the box. That said I always put my hiker/walker insoles in my boots (photo below). It makes them much more cushy and takes up some room in the boot for my skinny feet. I would say these boots are not extra wide, they seem normal to me. The tops would probably not work for someone with huge calves, but they cinch up perfectly on me, and can be adjusted out a bit if I want to wear MX-style shin and knee guards. Bottom line is that for $188 shipped they are a bonafide BARGAIN!!

The lug sole is very heavy duty, same pattern as my SIDI RAINS but a little thicker. I'm betting it's the same sole you find on the adventure rains and armadas. This and the height of the boots are their best feature. Oh, and that they are completely waterproof as well. The waterproof/breathable liner is 'HIGH-TEX', so not 'gor-tex' brand. The boots are definitely made in Italy - sewing and finish is perfect, very high quality. They are all leather, pretty thick leather as well although probably not quite like the 'stich combats, but I have not been able to compare them side by side. The good news is these will be easier to break in and of course they are a third less in cost. With the extra internal armor I think they're as good as the combats or the santiagos.

I had two concerns with these boots. Well three, but a couple are related...
1. There isn't a lot of reinforcing and armor in these boots - they are definitely a road boot. The 'adventure class' boots have plastic reinforcing on the outside of the boot, around the ankle, heel, and generally have buckles to cinch them down over your foot. These boots have some kind of internal protective armor for the ankle bones - both sides, as well as toe, heel, and shin. There is some flex but at least there's something there, and comparable to other road type touring boots. They are also very nicely padded around the foot, it's a signature component of this boot. I have decided that even the high-end adventure type boots, like the SIDI ADVENTURE RAINS, or other adventure boots are still not up to the protection level of a proper MX boot like my TCX Pro-Comps, or crossfires, etc., so I will still wear this latter type of boot for offroad type riding. The RAIDs are going to be just great for road touring, around town, and winter/wet riding.
2. Velcro closures - just about everyone complains about aging velcro fasteners and how the grip begins to lessen over time. I have other boots that are many years old and do not have this problem. If it does become an issue I can sew on new hook and loop patches. I've decided I can live with this feature.
3. These boots have velcro straps to fasten them instead of plastic buckles. I think buckles are more secure and I think they are more heavy duty. However plastic buckles can be difficult to operate and are known to go missing or break off. So in light of the fact that these boots are really a road touring boot, the velcro strap fastenings are easy to work, plenty strong, and should last the life of the boot. It would be fairly easy to sew on a new strap should one become worn to the point of failure. So I've decided I'm okay with this strap-fastening setup.

On the insoles, there are a lot of brands out there, the hikers love them. Some of them are stupid-expensive, like up to $60 for a pair. I found these at REI sometime ago and used them in my hiking boots and now all my riding boots. They are twice as thick as the standard insoles that come with boots, and five times as cushy. Very nice product. However they won't work if your boots are already tight. My suggestion is if your boots are a little loose then take them down to your outdoor store and try a few different insoles to adjust the fit to perfection.

SPENCO POLYSORB WALKER-RUNNER - $25

Falco 480 'RAID' touring boot

browneye screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 03:14 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #138
Markhp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
+1 on the Falco Raids. Wondering if any other inmates were wearing these!
I've had mine for ~2 years & 10,000+ miles now. Bought them right after reading the review on WEbbikeworld.com (my go-to guide).
I think you'll really like them, though I'd say they're a more of a street/ touring boot. Very comfortable & easy to wear/walk in all day long. Fit is slightly narrow, but not as bad as the other EU brands I've tried. So far, they've been 100% waterproof. I clean & treat mine with Montana pitch blend brand products to keep the leather nice & supple. This is a high quality, smart looking boot.
Compares side by side with the SIDI/'stitch/Infinity brands....

'09 RT1200
'07 Bonnie T100
Markhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #139
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxvt View Post
So I am new to riding, and I have a solid new pair of power-ranger-esque Alpinestars SMX-5's. They are great, but they are not comfortable/useful around town.

I wish to god I could own these: http://www.vitessemoto.com/boots/
but there is no hope, they seem to have gone out of business.

I am looking for a solid boot, that still has ankle protection, that I can wear around town on a day where I ride my bike the 1 mile to my buddies house without having to have my power ranger boots on.

I have a fairly wide foot, so the italians tend to not fit as well. Any suggestions?
I have a pair of SMX 5 and 2's.

2's are great for around town, especially if you walk a lot afterwards.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #140
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 550
As someone that has invested in several pairs of boots, it seems like the Falco's are tough to beat for the price. Seems like a really good value.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote