ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What are your Favorite "All-Purpose" Safety Boots that work around town?
Vendramini Marathon/Marathon Steel 6 18.75%
Forma Cape Horn 6 18.75%
Daytona Roadstar GTX 6 18.75%
Other (Suggest in a post) 16 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxvt View Post
I actually don't mind walking in them.. they are just a little bulky. I guess I am being stupid. They seem plenty protective.. do you have any suggestions for a better all around protective boot? I would rather be protective than go by looks.. I just feel like they're a bit annoying to stash easily if I take a trip to work. I also am kind of already convinced it's not worth wearing a shorty boot after looking at some and realizing there just isn't legit ankle protection.

The more I think about it, the more I just realize I'm being stupid and should wear the best gear I have at all times.

That being said: A* SMX-5's enough protection for me..? =P
I'm honestly being a bit hard on them as far as protection goes. I crashed in a pair of SMX-5s going about 70 on the highway. Granted, I really only slid and rolled, but the boots took a significant amount of damage and my feet and ankles were fine. However, I also know that the boots are lacking in any type of torsional protection, and the impact protection is pretty low as well. They offer good abrasion protection though, which is kind of the lowest level of protection for boots. After my wreck, despite being protected by the boots, I really saw how lucky I got and really noticed the holes in this boots' protection. Rather than buying another pair, I invested in boots with much better protection. I certainly wouldn't go with less protection than the SMX-5s.

The more boots I looked at and tried on, the more I realized how much the Alpinestars were lacking in protection. When I bought them, I didn't have much experience in buying motorcycle boots, and they seemed like they offered an immense amount of protection. Compared to sneakers or hiking boots, they do. Compared to other boots, not so much.

I bought the Sidi Adventure Gore-tex boots, which offer phenomenal protection for a street boot (still not nearly as good as a high end MX boot), and they are really good for walking in (though not as good as the SMX-5s). The downside is that they're expensive as hell, and I'm not financially well off. I actually bought them for $298 shipped from FC-Moto in Germany. The shipping took forever, and communication sucked, but I did get a high end boot for mid-tier pricing, so I can't complain.

Whether or not your boots offer enough protection for you is up to you. It took a crash for me to realize that some of my gear wasn't up to par. Fortunately, luck won out and I didn't find out the hard way (ie, injuries) that my gear wasn't good enough.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:

I have a fairly wide foot, so the italians tend to not fit as well. Any suggestions?
bloody Italians strike again! just noted in another thread on boots that I usually wear a 10w or 10.5 regular in US sizes but in the Sidi I have a 45 eur or 11 US. fits well though all things considered... usually Italian footwear is too slender but somehow this particular one worked out. albeit in a larger size.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Around Town Boots

I picked up a pair of the AYC Web-Goretex boots a couple of years ago from either Iron Pony or BikeBandit. My intent was to wear them while commuting and change into a pair of street shoes once I got to work but I soon found myself forgetting to change into shoes as the boots are that comfortable. Haven't had any water leaks during winter riding in the Seattle area, little warm when the temps get up into the 90's but overall a great boot especially since I paid about $125 for them. I wish I had bought two pair.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
BMW Urban

My wife gave me a pair of the BMW Urban Boots. They're expensive enough that I probably wouldn't have bought them on my own, but she said I looked like a dork wearing my Sidi Adventures to work. They have turned out to be great boots for commuting and nice enough to wear to a meeting if I have to go to another site during the day.

VO
Old 07-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Another vote for the TCX brand. Numerous every day boots in their all-purpose line. Wearing the X-Cube right now. Great protection on all and comfy.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Vitesse Boots!

Quote:
So I am new to riding, and I have a solid new pair of power-ranger-esque Alpinestars SMX-5's. They are great, but they are not comfortable/useful around town.

I wish to god I could own these: http://www.vitessemoto.com/boots/
but there is no hope, they seem to have gone out of business.

I am looking for a solid boot, that still has ankle protection, that I can wear around town on a day where I ride my bike the 1 mile to my buddies house without having to have my power ranger boots on.

I have a fairly wide foot, so the italians tend to not fit as well. Any suggestions?
HA! Funny you mention those guys! I have two pairs fo their boots and they are awesome. It took forever to get mine delivered, but I think you can still find some of their stuff for sale on ebay. I also think they went out of business, but its strange that the sire is still up....
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,076
Vendramini Marathon Steels are the most comfortable pair of shoes, boots, flip flops, keens, sandals moccasins etc I've ever owned. It is insane just how comfortable they are and how good they are to walk in. I can put them on in the am, and take them off when I get home from work if I wanted. They're the best I've ever tried.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Vendramini Marathon Steels are the most comfortable pair of shoes, boots, flip flops, keens, sandals moccasins etc I've ever owned. It is insane just how comfortable they are and how good they are to walk in. I can put them on in the am, and take them off when I get home from work if I wanted. They're the best I've ever tried.
Wow! Those look amazing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Just get some 10" RedWings or Wolverines and call it good. It's just a mile or two and you're not doing any performance on or off-road shenanigans. Be comfy and semi-protected for those short treks.
This

RedWings are made in the USA, if that matters. If those are too pricey, hit up the military surplus....many brand new boots there for half or less than what you pay online.
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Check out the Sidi "Doha" boots. A bit of support, and you can still walk around in them. They are a compromise on safety, mobility and style, but better than high tops, or putting on heavy boots for that run to the store.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post

I like my Sidi Canyons, but I would like to check those out some time. hope they stick around.

the article mentioned they seem to fit true to size... my sidi's are a half to one size up, but they fit my wide forefoot narrow heel high arch great with the help of an aftermarket insole.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
Thorgrim
Father Figure

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
I am thinking a pair of kevlar jeans and some vaguely acceptable street shoes will keep my big-pile-of-leather-and-helmet to a minimum at a friends house.
Unless you picked a gaudy (eye of the beholder, there) pair of A*'s, sounds like you need different pants more than different boots. I bought a pair of Speed & Strength's "Rage With The Machine" jeans. Not crazy about the silly name and I wish the shell was less baggy and heavier denim, but they had the knee armour I wanted and Kevlar in all the right places with the pockets for the CE knee armor protecting me from Kevlar rash there if I go down hard. I wear them over a pair of A* Scouts, and I wouldn't be happy with a less protective boot. Hell, if I could dance, I could dance in these, but bear in mine that I've been a miner and a surveyor and spent half my working life in a 6# pair of Redwings or steel toed rubber boots. All a bike has to do is simply roll over with your ankle under it at a poorly anticipated stop and you'll regret the lack of protection of lesser boots.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #28
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Not to hijack this thread, but what is the difference between the Vendramini Marathons, and the Marathon Steels? Steel shank? Either way, I believe I may have found my next pair of boots.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg326 View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but what is the difference between the Vendramini Marathons, and the Marathon Steels? Steel shank? Either way, I believe I may have found my next pair of boots.
In the webbikeworld review you can see what they call carbon fiber bits on the ankle and on the very top of the boot. The steels have thin, flexible steel there instead. Seems like a gimmick, but what do I know?

Also, the steels have an outlast liner, in addition to the vtex membrane. I would say my only complaint is that I don't feel like they breathe all that great. I never notice it in the summer though, only in the winter when my feet can get cold and feel kinda spongy for lack of a better word. Odd.

These are GREAT boots if you're looking for waterproof ultra comfortable touring boots. I think ive had them for 4 years now and they still function as new. Awhile back I was feeling disappointed because it seemed like the soles were wearing quickly, but they don't seem to be getting any worse.

Buy with confidence
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 640
thoughts on "normal" looking boots + marathon steels

I currently own three pairs of boots for different applications and will be receiving my fourth next week.

First off, there seems to be a fundamental disconnect on this site of guys that just ride for fun and enjoyment vs people that use their motorcycle as practical transportation, particularly in an urban environment.

The practical transportation guys get the fun guys, but the fun guys don't get the practical guys because they don't do it.

The recreational/pure adv guys always say "who cares how it looks, just go, etc". This makes sense if that's all you use your bike for, who cares what the gear looks like, right?

If you use your bike as a car replacement, there are many times that you need to be able to get off your bike and look normal immediately. There is no time/space to change. You just go.

I meet clients off of my bike in the field all the time. This is why a good pair of dark denim jeans and a "normal" looking boot are essential for the utility rider. Plus it's nice to not look like you just got in from the Dakar when you're using your bike to run errands or meeting friends.

Make sense?

Ok, cool.

I have invested about a grand so far trying to find the right boot for this situation.

I started with these:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...hnical-sneaker

I no longer wear them. They're so thin, I didn't feel like they would do much.

Then these:

http://www.customfitmotorcycleboots....m404-aero.html

These are my go to daily wear boot, on in seconds, but you will never pass them off as normal looking. They're pretty goofy. Great for going to gym or whatever though, and you can walk in them all day.

Next, for dual sport and light off road activity, I got these:

http://www.customfitmotorcycleboots....arathon-s.html

These are the marathon steels the other guys are talking about. They are a fantastic boot. They are not meant for all day wear and walking in them is fine, but not great. I have gone down in them, and they prevented my 500lb bike from crushing my foot. No joke. I would of been badly injured without these. I always wear them in the dirt, or when really getting on it on pavement. I have them on right now in my office while typing this.

Finally, I just ordered these:

http://www.batesleathers.com/boots/b...es_touring.php

I rode up to LA and got measured in person. They look totally normal. You can choose your leather color, I went with a dark brown. Under Maple Motorcycle jeans, which I also have in addition to a pair of the Edwin Kushitani jeans, you can't tell what these are.

OP, I searched high and low, and vs a lot of people on this site, actually invested in several different pairs of motorcycle footwear. Bates is your best option, and they're hand made right here in California. Not that expensive either, around $300 depending on options.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote