ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What are your Favorite "All-Purpose" Safety Boots that work around town?
Vendramini Marathon/Marathon Steel 6 18.75%
Forma Cape Horn 6 18.75%
Daytona Roadstar GTX 6 18.75%
Other (Suggest in a post) 16 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #31
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Just get some 10" RedWings or Wolverines and call it good. It's just a mile or two and you're not doing any performance on or off-road shenanigans. Be comfy and semi-protected for those short treks.
this x2.

Got a pair of Wolverine work boots on now. Comfortable/casual enough for all-day wearing-around, tough enough to stand up to dodging soccer moms on my commute.

Those look like my old Georgia boots though.
And why the fuck did I even save that picture.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
TL;DR

Most touring/sport touring will provide the following protection...the market is moving towards CE certifying these boots so you should expect a lot of the following.
  1. Abrasion Resistance
  2. Stiff sole to prevent sideways crushing
  3. Toe and heel counter to resist crushing
  4. Ankle counter to resist impact (usually against the footpeg)
  5. Shin armor for strikes against handlebars and whatnot

What touring boots will NOT provide
  1. Ankle crush resistance
  2. Ankle Torsional resistance (all directions)
  3. Crush resistance for anything other than the sole

I wear BMW allrounds's TCX x-five, and Sidi Laguna boots around the office, and they're all low-key enough to avoid attention. If you want some ankle protection from twisting/bending, you'll need some sort of boot with a brace, and those won't be casual looking at all.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #33
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post

First off, there seems to be a fundamental disconnect on this site of guys that just ride for fun and enjoyment vs people that use their motorcycle as practical transportation, particularly in an urban environment.

The practical transportation guys get the fun guys, but the fun guys don't get the practical guys because they don't do it.
I am a practical transportation rider (and fun rider). I ride my bike year round all but about 10-15 days a year (those days in which the snow is on the roads). I am in my clinical years of medical school and must wear a tie and white jacket every day, and riding a bike gets frowns from nearly all of my attendings. I get having to look the part.

However, I don't care how my gear looks. I care how my gear performs. My gear is to protect me; it's not to make a fashion statement. I leave early enough that I have time to take my gear off and put on my nice polished shoes. I often have to visit several hospitals per day. I have gotten good at changing out of my gear in a hurry. This way I don't sacrifice safety for style. If you're comfortable sacrificing safety for style for yourself, that's completely cool (seriously). However, that does not mean there is a disconnect between fun riders and utility riders. It just means that you're willing to make that sacrifice, while some of us are not.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:46 AM   #34
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
However, I don't care how my gear looks. I care how my gear performs... I don't sacrifice safety for style. If you're comfortable sacrificing safety for style for yourself, that's completely cool (seriously). However, that does not mean there is a disconnect between fun riders and utility riders. It just means that you're willing to make that sacrifice, while some of us are not.
Actually, you're highlighting the disconnect. Utility riders aren't looking to substitute safety for style, they're trying to combine them. People continually talk as if that's impossible, but there's really no reason you can't - the safety comes from the materials and construction, not the looks of the item. But saying you don't want to look like you just got off an Imperial land-speeder is greeted with contemptuous sneers and snorts, like you're a dandy or something.

What makes it difficult (especially in the US) is that there's little demand because the bulk of riders here do ride for recreation and want their gear to scream "I ride a sportbike!" or "I ride a Harley!" There's not much demand for subtlety US bike culture; well, US culture.

epb screwed with this post 08-04-2013 at 04:47 AM
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #35
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Don't have any of these gear yet, only lusting.

Aether Skyline Motorcycle Jacket
http://www.aetherapparel.com/shop/mens/shells/skyline/

Redwing 10" Lineman boot....also can be substituted for most military boots
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing...man-boot-brown
The KTM is the kind of bike you take behind the middle school and get pregnant. It's the kind of bike that, from the moment you light the fire, you know is downright nasty and makes you want to meet in the Burger King bathroom and lick its butthole.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #36
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,271
I have worn the Gasolina Shorty boots around town this summer: http://www.gasolinaboots.com/shortcut_boots.html

Clean, polished, and under the pant leg, they are hard to distinguish from Florsheim dress boots (http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/13180-001.html). I bought these thinking they would fit and wear similar to a Florsheim dress boot and my expectations were met. Plus, I just wanted to try them out. In the past, I have modified Florsheim dress boots for riding because they fit and were comfortable - but required a lot of maintenance.

The Shorty's are comfortable and walking a few miles in them is OK, although I wear Superfeet (blue) insoles in mine. While they have no real armor and would fare no better than a standard boot in a crash, they have some bike features which are handy such as rear zip, functional straps, and shifting leather reinforcement. They breathe easier than my CTB's (what I affectionately call my 'Batman' boots) and are quicker to put on. I find they blend in aesthetically when off the bike.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #37
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
Actually, you're highlighting the disconnect. Utility riders aren't looking to substitute safety for style, they're trying to combine them. People continually talk as if that's impossible, but there's really no reason you can't - the safety comes from the materials and construction, not the looks of the item. But saying you don't want to look like you just got off an Imperial land-speeder is greeted with contemptuous sneers and snorts, like you're a dandy or something.

What makes it difficult (especially in the US) is that there's little demand because the bulk of riders here do ride for recreation and want their gear to scream "I ride a sportbike!" or "I ride a Harley!" There's not much demand for subtlety US bike culture; well, US culture.
It sounds like you're talking about a disconnect between manufacturers and those customers that wish to look stylish on a bike, not a disconnect between the riders on this site and the utility riders.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
I have a pair of Gaerne G-Adventures that I love. Waterproof, fit under the legs of most pants, comfortable to walk in, and the soles have some grip to them. Downside is a little less protection for the ankle; they are like a slightly stiffer Trials boot in a lot of ways.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
speedz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Been using these boots for the past five years.
http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=812
speedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #40
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I've worn touring boots at work but, if the boot is comfortable enough to wear all day walking it won't have much protection. My Sidi On Roads are comfy but they are not that protective anyway, very water proof though.

I mostly wear Red Wing steel toe US made boots for all around use on the DS bikes. They are water proof, thick heavy leather, good stiff sole for standing on the pegs. I choose the super soles usually with the steel shank. Heavy boots that are better than most and I have crash tested them on the street. All the touring boots in the same price range are not much better IMO. If I want some protection I'll wear a pair of flexible Tech 3's for street use.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post

I think the med school guy IS a utility rider, but his situation allows him to change. Today I didn't have any "right off the bike" appointments, so I wore full gear to my office and changed once I got there. But much of the time, I have to be ready instantly, as there are people already there, waiting, and getting changed is not an option. This is where "normal" looking gear fills the gap. My clients most of the time wouldn't feel comfortable with me looking like I just got off an Imperial Land speeder like you say .

The disconnect I was talking about are guys that don't use their bike as a car replacement, or their personal situation allows them to wear whatever gear they want at work. You nailed it, most of the pure adv or recreational riders want to be seen as non-subtle. These are the ones that get disgruntled when you want cool looking gear.

I just spent a couple weeks in London. The daily transport rider runs supreme there, as there is no congestion charge and plenty of free parking if you ride a motorcycle. I talked to a few riders there, and yep, they had on as "normal" looking gear as I had ever seen.

Anyhow, my two cents. Good luck OP, the options are there if you look hard enough.

Stoke

p.s.-someone mentioned the Aether jacket. I will be riding up to LA to check that out soon in their showroom. Looks like a good option for sure.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #42
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
Before I make a suggestion, here is my current lineup of boots:
Sidi Vertebra 2's (used to use them for sportbiking) Compy and "around walkable"
Sidi Discovery (not beat to crap due to dual sporting & road tripping) - compfy but stiking hot
Sidi Adverture Gortex (new DS boots to replace the Disco's) - great protection from the looks of them, squeaky though. Need to lube the hinged part a bit.

But, for around town, I need to walk someplace etc kind of riding, where I'm just in a jacket & jeans (helmet & gloves are implied), I use my Corocan Jump boots. Often I use the Vertegra's if there isn't too much walking... but if there is, these puppies.

Why? Because the best gear is the gear you actually want to wear.

YMMV.

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #43
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 703
I actually thought about these boots, do they have the "clown toe" that a lot of these style of boots have? Seems like a good stealth option though.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #44
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWaffles View Post
RedWings are made in the USA, if that matters. If those are too pricey, hit up the military surplus....many brand new boots there for half or less than what you pay online.
Not all Red Wings are US made these days. When I was work boot shopping, the Red Wings I liked were $250, and made in Pakistan. So were the Danners. I went with Westco, but spent more money.

I occasionally ride in the Westcos, but am also looking for the perfect commuting boot. My Sidi OnRoads just don't feel like they offer enough protection.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #45
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Then these:

http://www.customfitmotorcycleboots....m404-aero.html

These are my go to daily wear boot, on in seconds, but you will never pass them off as normal looking. They're pretty goofy. Great for going to gym or whatever though, and you can walk in them all day.
I have these and LOVE them. Sooo comfortable, super quick on/off, ventilation you can really feel, and some protection (lateral crush resistance, stiff heal cup and toe box). Goofy looking? - maybe the red ones, but I think they look fine in black.

Here's a review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...amini-aero.htm

CR
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote