ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What are your Favorite "All-Purpose" Safety Boots that work around town?
Vendramini Marathon/Marathon Steel 6 20.00%
Forma Cape Horn 5 16.67%
Daytona Roadstar GTX 5 16.67%
Other (Suggest in a post) 16 53.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #46
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
Red Wings I've had come from the US and China, the much cheaper Worx line are made in China. I have both and the US made are much better. Not sure if the Irish Setter line are still US made, never had any. I wear the all leather work boots and the Pecos mainly. I have had too pairs of the Worx hiking boots and they are decent.

What Red Wing model is made in the middle east?

I've tried out other brands and keep going back to Red Wings, they hold up the best for me and they sell size 14's in many models. The US made boots I have now are heavy and well built. About double the weight of the Worx line or most Wolverines for that matter. Nice thick leather and real goretex, but they ain't cheap either.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #47
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,484
I keep thinking these Chippewa boots would be good for urban 'around town' boots but the tall heel bothers me. Seems like a nice boot though for $200. I may get a pair just to try them out.

Here's another 'cruiser' type boot that's all leather and a good price at leatherup.com. $100. I have not tried on either but a fellow rider has these and likes them.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Boots/Xelement-Mens-Advanced-Dual-Strap-Leather-Boots-with-Vibram-Soles/97543.html
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #48
doug-y-doug
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My two favorites are the Aerostich Combat Lites and the Gaerne Balance Oiled. I like the Combats because they have that Doc Marten look. But I usually prefer brown, so I like the Gaernes too. I just wish the Gaernes had the Aerostich Wedged sole. It looks a little more casual.

Aerostich Combat Lite:

Gaerne Balance Oiled:
doug-y-doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #49
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
I have these and LOVE them. Sooo comfortable, super quick on/off, ventilation you can really feel, and some protection (lateral crush resistance, stiff heal cup and toe box). Goofy looking? - maybe the red ones, but I think they look fine in black.

Here's a review:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...amini-aero.htm

CR
Huh. I never knew web bike world did a review on these. Just read the whole thing. I do really like these boots and they're what I wear most of the time running errands, etc in daily life. So convenient. Have gotten odd glances at work with these on though! That's why I ordered the Bates touring boots.

Tried the Combat lites, they didn't fit my foot shape at all. Sharp boot though.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #50
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Firstgear Mesh High - 'around town' boots

Here's a product review I did earlier this year on these boots. And they aren't so sportbike or adventure bike looking that I feel funny wearing them around the office on casual days. Otherwise I bring a pair of dress shoes and change out.

Firstgear Mesh High Boots – MSRP $139
Product Review by Chris Brown
May 1, 2013

Touring Boots - Mesh, Vented, Air.
There are a lot of descriptive names for boots that flow air. Living and riding in southern California means the weather is almost always good, and average temps are about 80 for a good part of the year. And like the song says, “It never rains in southern California”, it is basically true. Even if it does rain by chance, I duck in and wait ‘till it quits. For me, for the entire late spring, summer, and early fall, I have no need for a waterproof boot.

My last pair of sport touring boots were of the ‘rain’ variety with a Gortex-like lining. Only the very most expensive apparel have real Gortex, so there are a LOT of knock-offs. Either way, while they are supposedly waterproof and breathable, they are supposed to shed water while allowing moisture to evaporate out. I find them unbearably hot in temps over about 70. My feet would just cook. Another reason for this could be that this rather famous (but unnamed here) brand from Romania is that they are made from a synthetic leather called Lorica. It’s very durable and always looks nice, but I have my doubts that it breaths at all, and hence I went searching for a more comfortable solution for our warmer temps here.

There are a few mesh or vented boots on the market, so I narrowed my choice down to a final couple of styles based on catalog looks, rider descriptions on our adventure forum, manufacturer reputation, and price. My final choice was the Firstgear Mesh High Boot.

I wanted a warm weather boot for summer touring and commuting. I have much heavier duty boots for offroad, and I still have my ‘rain’ boots for our winter months. I knew I wanted a full-height boot for better ankle and shin protection, and I like a lugged sole for better grip off the bike and for walking in them. I had the opportunity to sample them side by side with that famous-maker boot from Romania, one called ‘clever air’ and they were remarkably similar. So similar in fact that in the end I could not justify the almost hundred dollar difference in cost. The Firstgear boot is a real bargain. It is full-grain leather which I really liked, and it has a bazillion little holes punched in it which they call “perforated”, interspersed with tough mesh material panels. These boots flow a LOT of air. Nice padding in the shin area too, which is a likely spot to hit a foot peg by accident.

They are very comfortable out of the box. No break-in for these. The sole is flexible for walking and shifting, but stiff laterally so as to prevent crushing your foot under a dropped bike. They also have ankle, toe, and heel caps which was another requirement I was looking for. The zipper on the inside of your foot/leg is full height whereas the other brand is a half-zipper. And the hook-and-loop closure flap over the zipper to close up the boot is very strong. The sole is ‘bonded’ as opposed to a goodyear welt which is what we’re seeing on most boots nowadays. Unfortunately that means re-soling them is probably not possible, but at this price point when the sole is worn out the boots will be ready to be replaced anyway. These are not three to five hundred dollar boots!! I have about 15K miles on my other sport touring boots and the soles are barely worn. I fully expect these to last many, many years as well.

The liner is very nice, almost like a black and white hounds tooth, it’s a vented liner, and makes slipping them on and off very easy. This is another feature I was looking for – something easy to put on and take off. That way you don’t hesitate to don them for even a short jaunt to the corner store.

They have removable insoles so I installed the cushy insoles I had bought for my hiking boots. Super-Feet, Spenco, there’s a bunch of them out there, but these are really comfortable, take up just a little more space in the boot to make them fit perfectly, and oh so comfortable to walk in now. Highly recommended.

As soon as you get going on the bike you can feel the air through the boots. So no, these aren’t what you would call an adventure boot, but I gotta tell you they are so comfortable in warmer temps, and I can leave them on all day and my feet stay cool and comfy.

I highly recommend these as an extra pair of riding boots for around town and warmer weather sport touring. Firstgear hit a homerun with this one, and SoloMoto Parts is the place to get them!

EDIT: One thing I will comment on after a season in these is the shifter pad on the left boot was starting to wear through. It's some kind of rubber-fabric type material but isn't tough enough. Either that or my shifter is just really abrasive. Anyway, I cut out a nice pattern of 1/8" EDM rubber and glued it on for an additional shift pad. Worked out fine. The abrasion continues and surprising how much it's wearing on the hard rubber. So I don't really fault the original boot design, I'm betting I will have this problem with any boot.

browneye screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 08:12 AM
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #51
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
I wear my TCX Infinities around the office all day, they offer a decent amount of protection and blend in well enough to get by.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #52
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug-y-doug View Post
My two favorites are the Aerostich Combat Lites and the Gaerne Balance Oiled. I like the Combats because they have that Doc Marten look. But I usually prefer brown, so I like the Gaernes too. I just wish the Gaernes had the Aerostich Wedged sole. It looks a little more casual.

Aerostich Combat Lite:

Gaerne Balance Oiled:
How would you compare these two in terms of protection, durability, wear comfort?

I think these two or the discovery rains are on my shortlist. Maybe even the Armadas. I need a waterproof ADV boot for fall.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #53
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
How would you compare these two in terms of protection, durability, wear comfort?

I think these two or the discovery rains are on my shortlist. Maybe even the Armadas. I need a waterproof ADV boot for fall.
They're very close in protection. The Gaerne have a little bit more due to the plastic in the shin piece and the plastic over the ankle. They're equally comfortable for walking.

Frankly, I'm thinking of selling my Gaerne's because they're too close in protection level to the CTL's and getting something a bit heavier for my road/dirt trips.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I have a pair of Garne Midlans on the way, as I'm looking for more protection than my Sidi OnRoads. I was looking at the other Sidis, but my foot is a little too wide. Cannot wait to try them out.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #55
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 713
I wear these around town:

Alpinestars Ridge Boots:

www.Motorcycle-Superstore.com

I wear these when I'm going to ride a little more aggressively:

BMW Santiago Boots:

www.ASCycles.com

If I had it to do again, I wouldn't get something with metal toes for the type of riding I do. I'm more likely to scratch somebody's hardwood floors than I am to ride a motocross race...
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #56
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

The santiago is a good boot, lots of positive reports.
They look a lot like the forma Cape Horns ($279)

You can remove the steel toe cap - I did that on my TCX Pro-Comps since I wear them for DS and adventure riding. They are my most protective boot - hinged MX. Not waterproof however.

The Mesh Highs for summer, and I have some sidi city rains. But I was thinking of something in the middle of all these, good for adv type trips, waterproof, for cooler weather, good protection, good to walk in.

So lots to choose from, just can't decide. I have friends that can get me discounts, still can't decide.

Atomic Moto says the A* Scouts are one of their most protective boots. For $249 plus a discount they may be worth a try.

I checked out the sidi armada recently and really liked them. The convertible thingy is pretty cool actually ($400).

browneye screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 08:47 AM
Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #57
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Heliomot Daytona's fit al your requirements to a "T".
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #58
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carockwell View Post
Heliomot Daytona's fit al your requirements to a "T".
Which model and where do you get them in the states?

EDIT: Okay, found HELIMOT (not heliomot) and they have Daytona boots, but don't see a style I would take, and certainly not for $450.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #59
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
I've got Tour Master Solutions,they are an inexpensive road boot that are supposed to be waterproof but I have never waded across a creek or stepped in ankle deep puddles to check them out.They have good heel support and a shifter toe,seem ok weight wise also.

I don't know what kind of protection your looking for but these would hold up fairly well from abrasion.If it's ankle/shin support forget it.The zippers tend to snag and the velcro is getting weak after about 3 years of light/medium use.

They are comfy and don't get too hot either.If I was looking for something to tide me over for the rest of the summer I would consider buying this boot again,but for multi use (touring/city/short trip) I think there are better options at about the same price point.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #60
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Finally, I just ordered these:

http://www.batesleathers.com/boots/b...es_touring.php

I rode up to LA and got measured in person. They look totally normal. You can choose your leather color, I went with a dark brown. Under Maple Motorcycle jeans, which I also have in addition to a pair of the Edwin Kushitani jeans, you can't tell what these are.

OP, I searched high and low, and vs a lot of people on this site, actually invested in several different pairs of motorcycle footwear. Bates is your best option, and they're hand made right here in California. Not that expensive either, around $300 depending on options.
how's the Bates boots working out? does it have ankle protection?

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote