ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What are your Favorite "All-Purpose" Safety Boots that work around town?
Vendramini Marathon/Marathon Steel 6 20.00%
Forma Cape Horn 5 16.67%
Daytona Roadstar GTX 5 16.67%
Other (Suggest in a post) 16 53.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #61
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,312
Santiago or Cape Horn

Gee, do these look a lot alike? (I like both, but the Formas are $279 and the BMW's are $409)

Forma Cape Horn

BMW Santiago

Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #62
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 494
Bates Boots. Old School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
how's the Bates boots working out? does it have ankle protection?

They don't exactly move fast, as I ordered them on July 23rd and I was told today I'm still a couple weeks out. I'm ok with that, as they are made by hand from start to finish. I stood around and checked things out in the shop while they got me sorted, check out the pics:

Organized chaos, notice the worker middle right:

photo IMG_20130723_125939_zps257d14bc.jpg

Sewing tables:

photo IMG_20130723_125641_zpsfaf1de4b.jpg

Some of their suits and jackets. Obviously the Held one up front is mine. I had no idea they made textile gear until this visit:

photo IMG_20130723_125635_zps58391c68.jpg

To answer your question about the ankle protection; there is a pad there, but it's not on the level of protection that many other boots offer. No ankle support or bracing.

Which is weird because Bates is well known and still used in the motorcycle DRAG racing community. So tradition aside, if the protection sucks, why are they still used in such a high risk environment? I asked the owner this and she said it was because they "crash well". Judging from the pictures and letters on the wall, Bates gear has seen a fair amount of crashes and held up. Still seems less protective than my Vendramini Marathons though.

Once I get them I'll snap some pics and share them to this site.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #63
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
To answer your question about the ankle protection; there is a pad there, but it's not on the level of protection that many other boots offer. No ankle support or bracing.

Which is weird because Bates is well known and still used in the motorcycle DRAG racing community. So tradition aside, if the protection sucks, why are they still used in such a high risk environment? I asked the owner this and she said it was because they "crash well". Judging from the pictures and letters on the wall, Bates gear has seen a fair amount of crashes and held up. Still seems less protective than my Vendramini Marathons though.

Once I get them I'll snap some pics and share them to this site.

Please do that. I for one would like to see more. For $250 could be a possible alternative.

Most of the boots designed for road use do not have any real protection for the ankle. As boots developed for the motocross sport they became more and more protective since crashing on dirt is a pretty regular thing. Not so much on road, it's more of "in the rare instance" that you crash for road riding. Track riding a different story, they have their own specialty boots.

So there's a disconnect here for the adventure rider that spends as much time on dirt as he does on road. The requirements in a boot are different from both on and off road. Hence we are starting to see more or less road boots with a lot of added protection, like the Sidi Adventures, Forma Adventures, etc. Each rider has to discern and decide what his requirments are and choose a boot that fits them. That's not so easy.

The Bates product does look like a road boot. And really without a lot of protective shields for toe, heel, ankle, and shin, boots of this type are more road oriented, like the Aerostich Combat, and many of the sport touring type boots. Great for on road, not so much for off. And there's some difference between what I call dualsport riding, and adventure riding. The latter tends to be on larger bikes over greater distances. I'm not sure how much the protection requirments differ though, although the adventurer generally needs something waterproof and in many cases the dualsporter does not or will be home at the end of the day.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #64
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Please do that. I for one would like to see more. For $250 could be a possible alternative.
Will do as soon as I get them. For me, the Bates are just going to be "around town" boots that I can use in work situations. I have the Marathon Steels for light dirt use/distance riding/inclement weather.

Like the bit about the difference between dual sport riding and adventure riding-that's the differences I've observed as well between the two communities, and the boots that each type wears. The big bike guys have exactly the type of "road boot with modifications" that you describe and the small bike guys have the MX style boots on.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #65
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Vendramini Marathon Steels are the most comfortable pair of shoes, boots, flip flops, keens, sandals moccasins etc I've ever owned. It is insane just how comfortable they are and how good they are to walk in. I can put them on in the am, and take them off when I get home from work if I wanted. They're the best I've ever tried.

These seem awfully nice and a bit pricey :( Unfortunately I was able to find my SMX-5's for $82 shipped, brand new, on Ebay. I got lucky.

That being said, I wouldn't mind spending $150~ on a pair of semi used or score-of-a-deal boots.. but it is tough for me to shell out $300 at this point after spending SO much on my bike and the rest of my gear.
cmaxvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #66
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxvt View Post
These seem awfully nice and a bit pricey :( Unfortunately I was able to find my SMX-5's for $82 shipped, brand new, on Ebay. I got lucky.

That being said, I wouldn't mind spending $150~ on a pair of semi used or score-of-a-deal boots.. but it is tough for me to shell out $300 at this point after spending SO much on my bike and the rest of my gear.
I know that feeling. My truck gets 9 miles to the gallon, so I figure I make up the difference in price on the gas savings by riding the motorcycle everywhere I can. Plus Vendramini resoles boots and other parts are replaceable, so they will last forever. Over time, I will save money by investing more up front.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #67
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I know that feeling. My truck gets 9 miles to the gallon, so I figure I make up the difference in price on the gas savings by riding the motorcycle everywhere I can. Plus Vendramini resoles boots and other parts are replaceable, so they will last forever. Over time, I will save money by investing more up front.
Cool that is good to know. Do you know good vendors in the States/CA specifically? I wish i could try these things on before buying. I have big wide feet and none of the italian stuff ever fits me.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #68
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Cool that is good to know. Do you know good vendors in the States/CA specifically? I wish i could try these things on before buying. I have big wide feet and none of the italian stuff ever fits me.
I couldn't find anybody that actually had them in person in CA; so I ordered them direct from the US distributor:

http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html

If I had known that such a thing existed at the time, I would of checked out this motorcycle gear consignment shop in LA prior to ordering new:

http://www.yellowdevilgear.com/about/

I think the distributor allows returns, but I can't remember for sure. He nailed my size on the phone though, they fit perfect. I'm 6' 4", 200lbs, and have big feet too-the boot does not have a narrow toe at all. I did find that with the leather coconut fiber insole in the boots are too tight-I've been wearing them without for a year. Just put them in again after a year thinking the boots would have relaxed a bit, but nope, still too tight for the insole. I have noticed zero difference in comfort, they are amazingly comfortable.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #69
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

I find most boots need a different insole for a perfect fit. Even wearing different thicknesses of socks will affect the fit. As long as the length isn't way off.

Hiker insoles can be bought in various thicknesses, so you just take your boots and favorite socks down to the sporting goods store and find an insole that makes them fit perfectly. I was lucky, the ones out of my hikers made my last boots fit just right. A different insole worked for another pair. REI has a ton of them.

Also makes walking in them that much better. My mesh high boots are like wearing slippers they're so comfortable.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #70
doug-y-doug
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
How would you compare these two in terms of protection, durability, wear comfort?

I think these two or the discovery rains are on my shortlist. Maybe even the Armadas. I need a waterproof ADV boot for fall.
I think Yeti nailed it. Their protection is essentially the same. For in-town road riding, I'd call it a wash. It would come down to looks. If you plan to hit the dirt though, the extra shin protection and length might help.
doug-y-doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #71
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

So these Vendramini's sure seem nice. Is there anywhere on earth I could possibly try these darn things on before I actually buy them? =P I live in San Francisco, I am really annoyed at the tiny availability of ways to try on boots in this country.

I love these things, but I just have to know if they fit.. I have a wide footbed and every other italian boot I tried on was way too narrow.

http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html
Old 08-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #72
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:

What size are you? I think I'll be selling a pair of used Sidi OnRoad fairly soon.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #73
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

The sidi on road is a nice boot as well. Taller than the canyons, but the same otherwise, right?
Both are quite street oriented though?
I may have interest as well, I always shop FM. Size 11/45

I have only heard raves about the Vendramini, never anything negative except for the price. $450 for boots is too much for me as well. $300 maybe.

The Cape horns for $279 at atomic moto are looking like the best bet for me. Balance of price, protection, and style of construction. I ike the sewn sole with traction, and the oiled leather. I'd still like to try on a pair of those chippewas. Or if I can get a discount on sidi maybe the Armadas - $400 list is too much.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #74
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
What size are you? I think I'll be selling a pair of used Sidi OnRoad fairly soon.
I am a 10-11 (44-45) but sidi tend to run so narrow. My buddy would love them too he's a 42-43
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #75
dashredder
Just go.

Oddometer: 68
Awesome pics of the Bates shop! Love the real America shops.

Will the Vendramini Marathon Steels fit UNDER a pair of Dockers pants or dress slacks? Or is the upper shin area too thick to fit under the pants. I also wish there was a local place to try these on before a buy.
dashredder is offline   Reply With Quote