ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What are your Favorite "All-Purpose" Safety Boots that work around town?
Vendramini Marathon/Marathon Steel 6 20.69%
Forma Cape Horn 4 13.79%
Daytona Roadstar GTX 5 17.24%
Other (Suggest in a post) 16 55.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #76
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
So the Forma Aventure sure seem like an awfully good fit/deal.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Adv...ots_p_788.html

They are seemingly 9/10ths of the marathons at a more reasonable price, albeit not quite as "handcrafted italian".

They include in their description "a wide foot bed" which is huge for me. Anyone have good experience with these things?
cmaxvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #77
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxvt View Post

They are seemingly 9/10ths of the marathons at a more reasonable price, albeit not quite as "handcrafted italian".

They include in their description "a wide foot bed" which is huge for me. Anyone have good experience with these things?
Good thread on the boot here, with some pertinent input from Brian at Atomic Moto: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21003544

And another much longer thread on the same boot: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560146

Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #78
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
I am a 10-11 (44-45) but sidi tend to run so narrow. My buddy would love them too he's a 42-43
Sidi uses two different lasts to make boots - one is narrow, and is why I can't wear most Sidis. The other is the one they use for the On Road, and a bit wider. This is from my observations, not some secret factory knowledge. In short, I have never found a pair of Sidis that fit me, other than the On Road.

Mine are a size 45.

Watch this space (and FM). If I love my new boots, I'll sell the On Roads.

Somebody asked about them being street oriented. Yes and no. They certainly don't have the protection of a MX or race boot, but they have a sole with good traction, and are waterproof. I've worn them for dual sport touring (mostly back roads, gravel roads, and occasional dirt path) and commuting. I can wear them all day at work, although I tend to change into another shoe at work, just to keep from wearing out the soles on a high dollar boot. They are a super comfy boot, but I want something with a bit more ankle protection.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #79
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Sidi uses two different lasts to make boots - one is narrow, and is why I can't wear most Sidis. The other is the one they use for the On Road, and a bit wider. This is from my observations, not some secret factory knowledge. In short, I have never found a pair of Sidis that fit me, other than the On Road.

Mine are a size 45.

Watch this space (and FM). If I love my new boots, I'll sell the On Roads.

Somebody asked about them being street oriented. Yes and no. They certainly don't have the protection of a MX or race boot, but they have a sole with good traction, and are waterproof. I've worn them for dual sport touring (mostly back roads, gravel roads, and occasional dirt path) and commuting. I can wear them all day at work, although I tend to change into another shoe at work, just to keep from wearing out the soles on a high dollar boot. They are a super comfy boot, but I want something with a bit more ankle protection.
That is sort of what I want too. I am really intrigued by the Forma's, as I mentioned before. I appreciate the offer but I think I am looking for a similar "upgrade" as you are, so they might not be the best fit for me.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #80
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,978
Quote:

been using Forma GT boots for the last year .. wonderful high quality boots. but it's not a good around town boot. and it looks slightly less aggressive to the Forma adventure boots.

I've done 1 mile hikes in the boot just to make sure it can do it. but it's just too big/tall for around town.

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #81
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 483
Vendramini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashredder View Post
Awesome pics of the Bates shop! Love the real America shops.

Will the Vendramini Marathon Steels fit UNDER a pair of Dockers pants or dress slacks? Or is the upper shin area too thick to fit under the pants. I also wish there was a local place to try these on before a buy.
They will not. The shin guard is substantial. Also, the boot would look really weird underneath dress slacks. Not saying this to be funny, or a dick, but saying this as someone that wears dress pants and rides motorcycles.

I was reminded of the shinguard today when I had one slow speed crash and four flop overs riding dirtbikes in the desert. Right boot got underneath the bike on a few of them and the boots came out great, as did my feet. Rode on my arches most of the day and that sole man, I'm telling you: they're onto something with the crush resistant sole. So comfortable and protective.

I think on this thread there are two different camps: #1, where "around town" boot is defined by being able to walk in it comfortably and looks don't matter, and camp #2 where you need that plus it needs to not look like a motorcycle boot, or looks fashionable.

Apparently I'm in both camps. I don't have the Bates yet, but will post pictures when I do for camp #2. For #1, seriously, if you're going to walk around plus want a really protective boot, get Vendramini. The Italians know what they're doing.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #82
dashredder
Just go.

Oddometer: 69
Thanks stoke. Appreciate the info.

Narrowed down to the Vendramini or the Frey Daytona Roadstar GTX. Want a quality boot that will 1. Be very protective, 2. Be of a high quality that will last, 3. Be comfortable to walk in. Both seem to fit the bill, one has buckles, one has zippers. If only I could try them on side by side.
dashredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #83
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks stoke. Appreciate the info.

Narrowed down to the Vendramini or the Frey Daytona Roadstar GTX. Want a quality boot that will 1. Be very protective, 2. Be of a high quality that will last, 3. Be comfortable to walk in. Both seem to fit the bill, one has buckles, one has zippers. If only I could try them on side by side.
This is my most annoying dilemma. You literally can't try any of these things on. Really sucks.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #84
stoke
ocean minded

I just ran into the "around town" boots issue today.

Desperate to avoid outrageous San Diego summer traffic, I showed up at a property inspection on the bike, for a million+ investment I'm dealing with. Not saying that to sound cool, just what it is.

Thinking the clients wouldn't be there, and sure enough yep, they're there. Just standing. Watching. Waiting.

I had the Vendramini aero tex's on with Kushitani jeans. Not as stealth as I would of liked. Would of been a lot easier to look more professional with the Bates boots under the Maple jeans, I wish they would hurry up and get here!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #85
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I just ran into the "around town" boots issue today.

Desperate to avoid outrageous San Diego summer traffic, I showed up at a property inspection on the bike, for a million+ investment I'm dealing with. Not saying that to sound cool, just what it is.

Thinking the clients wouldn't be there, and sure enough yep, they're there. Just standing. Watching. Waiting.

I had the Vendramini aero tex's on with Kushitani jeans. Not as stealth as I would of liked. Would of been a lot easier to look more professional with the Bates boots under the Maple jeans, I wish they would hurry up and get here!
Shit, I got court in Vista this AM and realized I forgot my dress shoes on the workbench. No big, just wore the Combat Lites and no one noticed.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #86
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:

Narrowed down to the Vendramini or the Frey Daytona Roadstar GTX.
Now, you're really confusing this issue. After wearing my Vendramini Marathon Steels for 4 years, Daytona is the only manufacturer I'll consider for touring type boots. Well, Altberg might be something to consider...
Some riders might be looking for more protection for real off road riding. The nice thing about the Vendramini is how comfortable they are out of the box. There is no break in and they don't seem to have broken down in those years. I've worn them in heat and snow showers. I find breathability suffers in cold weather with these boots. YMMV.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #87
stoke
ocean minded

Love it that an attorney is weighing here on this issue! I actually tried to own a pair of the Combat Lites, but they were far too wide for me. Great boots though.

Hey, if you're only going to get one pair of boots, get the Marathon Steels. I did some serious offroad last Friday in them and they protected me. I'm not good in dirt so fell over a lot. The Vendramini's have no break in period at all. So comfortable. I have not had, as others have mentioned on this thread, breatheability issues with them.

Bates Leathers emailed me today. I should have the boots by this Friday.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #88
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Bates Leathers emailed me today. I should have the boots by this Friday.
Nice!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #89
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Now, you're really confusing this issue. After wearing my Vendramini Marathon Steels for 4 years, Daytona is the only manufacturer I'll consider for touring type boots. Well, Altberg might be something to consider...
Some riders might be looking for more protection for real off road riding. The nice thing about the Vendramini is how comfortable they are out of the box. There is no break in and they don't seem to have broken down in those years. I've worn them in heat and snow showers. I find breathability suffers in cold weather with these boots. YMMV.
When you say Daytona is the only manufacturer... then speak about Vendramini's.. do you mean the Vendramini Daytona? The company Daytona? Forma Daytona's..?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #90
cmaxvt OP
Adventurer

I ask that cuz I would really like to know :) Hard to decide if the Vendramini Daytona's are as good as the marathon's for the lower price.