ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What are your Favorite "All-Purpose" Safety Boots that work around town?
Vendramini Marathon/Marathon Steel 6 20.00%
Forma Cape Horn 5 16.67%
Daytona Roadstar GTX 5 16.67%
Other (Suggest in a post) 16 53.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #91
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 492
Just got the Bates Boots in the mail. Video.

I'm slammed at work here, but shot a quick video of them right out of the box on my drift ghost hd camera. Sorry for the crap vid, but I think it gets the point across better than still pictures, and I will get some of those uploaded too.

Here's the video:

http://www.screencast.com/t/DcHC5hGrhYB

First impressions:

This is a wider footbed than I am used too, not as skinny as the Italian brands for sure. The look of the boot is so 1960's retro that it actually looks kind of modern by today's standards. Sole is blockier and thicker than I would of liked. Leather is thick as shit. Not a skinny narrow boot design at all, but compatible with skinny jeans for all you style inclined people out there.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #92
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
new Bates boots

BIKER BOOTS

Seriously, they look nice. Definitely street oriented.
I like the shifter guard and ankle pads. Unfortunately I would probly wear through that shifter guard (if it's leather) in about a month.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #93
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
BIKER BOOTS

Seriously, they look nice. Definitely street oriented.
I like the shifter guard and ankle pads. Unfortunately I would probly wear through that shifter guard (if it's leather) in about a month.
Yeah I'm interested to see how it holds up during my commuting/around town errands and work appointments. After a year of hard and continuous use, the shifter pad on the Vendramini's is barely fazed.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #94
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
I'm looking for the elusive "comfortable to wear all day, but well ventilated, and still offers more protection than shoes" motorcycle boot! I plan to wear them about 10 months out of the year, for commuting, etc. Stuffy waterproof boots need not apply. No squeaky trackday plastic either.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #95
stoke
ocean minded

Well, after seeing the Bates and owning the Aerotex's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I'm looking for the elusive "comfortable to wear all day, but well ventilated, and still offers more protection than shoes" motorcycle boot! I plan to wear them about 10 months out of the year, for commuting, etc. Stuffy waterproof boots need not apply. No squeaky trackday plastic either.
I would get the Aerotex's by Vendramini if those are your requirements. The damn things are super ventilated, all day comfortable, have ankle protection and a crush resistant sole. Seriously, check em out. Super fast side zip on and off too. The laces are just to custom fit the size.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #96
stoke
ocean minded

I'm going to lose money on this, but

I think I'm going to sell the Bates Leathers Touring Boots on the fleamarket here on adv and keep searching.

I had a couple drinks last night and stared at them for a good long while. They're just not for me. I want something narrow, sleek and likely Italian for the purposes this boot is going to serve.

Also, the footbed is just too wide for me. Beautifully made boots but not the right fit for me both in the literal sense and the style sense. I'd rather change my mind now before I've worn the boots and been out on the bike in them. Why I didn't figure this out at the Bates shop? Who knows!? Right now they're brand new in box.

I don't even know if any of the guys on here will go for it, but after I got all the options done, with shipping and tax, it was $478.90. I figure I'll have to discount them $50-$100 bucks to get the job done and get these sold. I have copies of the invoices so you know I'm being a straight shooter.

Just a heads up, the footbed is a standardized size, it's not custom to me. Size is 11.5 in Bates sizing, I buy 12 every other shoe/boot I get and I'm 46 European size. Skinny feet. These are too wide for me.

The custom options I got were the dark brown leather (chocolate I think it was called) and the top part of the boot where it wraps around your lower leg, I got that slimmer as I don't tuck my pants into the boot and I wanted a tight fit to keep the boots on in a slide event. By default, the top part of the boots comes pretty loose.

Anyhow, I'll probably throw them up in the market here next week, too busy with work right now and I wanted to give guys on this thread first shot if this is your thing and you are interested.

Here's a pic of one of them on, with jeans, so you can get a feel of what they look like:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5gT...it?usp=sharing
Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #97
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Here's a product review I did earlier this year on these boots. And they aren't so sportbike or adventure bike looking that I feel funny wearing them around the office on casual days. Otherwise I bring a pair of dress shoes and change out.

Thanks for that post. In the fall and winter I love my CruiserWorks Side Zip boots. These American made/American sized boots look great. They absolutely can be worn with a business suit, all you need to do is shine them up, and they shine really easily.

These boots are totally waterproof, you can stand in a bucket of water and not get your feet wet.

The problem with them is that they can be very warm in the hot Texas summer.

In the summer I've been wearing VietNam era Jungle Boots. I've been looking for a vented motorcycle boot, thanks for the pointer!

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
- Dave Barry
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #98
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas View Post
Thanks for that post. In the fall and winter I love my CruiserWorks Side Zip boots. These American made/American sized boots look great. They absolutely can be worn with a business suit, all you need to do is shine them up, and they shine really easily.

These boots are totally waterproof, you can stand in a bucket of water and not get your feet wet.

The problem with them is that they can be very warm in the hot Texas summer.

In the summer I've been wearing VietNam era Jungle Boots. I've been looking for a vented motorcycle boot, thanks for the pointer!
Very cool. Yes, check out the firstgears and sidi vented boots. I'm loving mine, it's been 85-90 here and I've worn them to work a couple of days a week all summer and a thousand mile trip and they are fantastic. You can feel the cool air blowing through them when your feet get hot. Definitely digging them.

I'm still undecided for warmer 'around town' boot. I gotta save up my pennies.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #99
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxvt View Post
I ask that cuz I would really like to know :) Hard to decide if the Vendramini Daytona's are as good as the marathon's for the lower price.
Daytona
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #100
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I think I'm going to sell the Bates Leathers Touring Boots on the fleamarket here on adv and keep searching.

>snip
Bummer. But yeah, better to know when to fold 'em.

They did not look brown in the vid, I assumed they were black.

Your explanation makes me think the same thing with the CBT lites. Too buky and herman muster looking. I'm pretty sure it's come down to Armadas or A* Scouts. Or maybe I'll order some of the chippewas and try them - could also sell in FM if I don't like them. Found them for $173 shipped online. Not a big investment to try them out. Maybe I can find a bootbarn around here that has them to try on.

Man you got hit hard on the price. $478?? Ouch!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #101
slower_than_you
Slacker

Oddometer: 32
Not sure if they would fit your needs ,but , I have a pair of Thor 50/50 that Ive really liked. Very comfy and protective - only bad is they looks like a motor-cross boot-
slower_than_you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #102
stoke
ocean minded

Yeah, the price was no joke. But, they are literally built to last twenty years+, and there were plenty of examples of that at the shop. So my thinking was get em and keep em forever with regular maintenance. Buy right, buy once. My really high quality dress shoes are already hitting the ten year mark and they still look new, even after being resoled. Ah well. I'm out a little cash and time, but at least I know now to stick to Italian boot brands for my foot!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #103
dashredder
Just go.

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
I'm slammed at work here, but shot a quick video of them right out of the box on my drift ghost hd camera. Sorry for the crap vid, but I think it gets the point across better than still pictures, and I will get some of those uploaded too.

Here's the video:

http://www.screencast.com/t/DcHC5hGrhYB

First impressions:

This is a wider footbed than I am used too, not as skinny as the Italian brands for sure. The look of the boot is so 1960's retro that it actually looks kind of modern by today's standards. Sole is blockier and thicker than I would of liked. Leather is thick as shit. Not a skinny narrow boot design at all, but compatible with skinny jeans for all you style inclined people out there.
NICE! I was right there with you for one of the best parts of new kit, the unboxing. Maybe they'll grow on ya after a bit?
dashredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #104
dashredder
Just go.

Oddometer: 68
I am at such a cross road. Vendramini Marathon Steel, Daytona Roadstar GTX. Daytona Roadstar GTX, Vendramini Marathon Steel. Hell, maybe a Sidi Canyon.

So the Vendramini's wont fit under dress slacks, how about Dockers/jeans? Not thinking of all day wear, but to/from work.

Also, how easy on/off are they with the buckles? PITA or quick n easy? No vids found after a quick search to show how they operate.
dashredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #105
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashredder View Post
I am at such a cross road. Vendramini Marathon Steel, Daytona Roadstar GTX. Daytona Roadstar GTX, Vendramini Marathon Steel. Hell, maybe a Sidi Canyon.

So the Vendramini's wont fit under dress slacks, how about Dockers/jeans? Not thinking of all day wear, but to/from work.

Also, how easy on/off are they with the buckles? PITA or quick n easy? No vids found after a quick search to show how they operate.
I dunno...to me commuter boots are not the same as adventure boots. At least not for me. For commuters I want a lightweight zip side slip on that's easy to deal with, or just wear under casual pants/jeans.

I really like a light boot and kevlar lined jeans for local urban stints on the bike. Lots of stops, slow speeds, a little freeway thrown in, on and off the bike, no dirt. A mesh jacket is perfect. I don't dress for adventure when I'm going out for a local jaunt. My commute is 5mi.

The canyons are a waterproof flexible road-oriented boot. I like them but not sure I would consider them an 'adventure boot', certainly not the same as a marathon steel.

IIRC the 'steels are just a step down from a MX boot. You have to decide what your needs are and choose accordingly.

Post pics. I couldn't get the online seller's site to come up.

EDIT: Okay, here's the 'steels. My 2-cents is that they are a lot more boot than the Bates for just a little less money. I like them for an adventure boot but not for an 'around town' boot. I suspect with insulation and the thick leather they are pretty bulky and heavy. I wonder if the toe really curves up more pronounced than any other boots. They look like elf boots, only bigger. LOL.

Art. 498S - MARATHON STEEL
The MARATHON STEEL is the already exceptional Marathon brought to an even higher level. It gives you all the Marathon's features plus shin and ankle semi-flexible steel reinforcements. Also, on top of Vendramini's waterproof Hydro Stop membrane, a second lining made with Outlast Adaptive Comfort temperature stabilizing membrane helps stabilize the temperature inside the boot
in extreme hot or cold weather conditions. Made of Italian full grain, hydrorepellent, double tanned 2.8 mm thick leather, the MARATHON STEEL is an extremely protective boot that offers maximum comfort and safety. Look no further, this is the ultimate touring boot.

browneye screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 05:14 PM