Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,891
Silverdog, my impressions on the Triumph as a tug are in the thread linked below. Keep in mind that I have a Bonnie and you're thinking Scrambler. The internals are all the same, but the suspension is a wee bit different.

I don't think you'll have any ground clearance issues. That has been my only complaint about the rig.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818289

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
what sort of fuel economy, range from a tank are you guys getting with the hacked scramblers? Matt, did you see a drop in mileage when you switched from the Velorex to the DMC?
MPG ranges between 20 MPG (loaded two up, headwind, throttle pinned) to 45 MPG for 30 MPH scenic stretches like the Dempster. No difference in fuel economy between the Dauntless and Velorex tubs as far as I could see. Range on a tank would be somewhere between 90 and 200 miles. Usually I'd get 30 MPG, so about 135 miles until the bike is bone dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Speaking of modern Bonnevilles; what did they do about the spoke problem they were having? A friend has an '07 I can get for a very reasonable price, but it has a broken spoke right now (and I wonder how long till more break?)
Midway through 2008 they changed the rear hub design to be stronger. Guess which one my '08 has?

As for gearing, I think the Scrambler is geared too high for sidecar use. Idle is indicated 10 MPH in first gear. Lots of clutch work in traffic and any kind of interesting off pavement use. Thankfully it's easy to rectify by swapping that rear sprocket.

My two issues with the Scrambler are lack of range on a tank and lack of power. Both can be fixed but to get good solutions costs a lot of dough.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag View Post
My two issues with the Scrambler are lack of range on a tank and lack of power. Both can be fixed but to get good solutions costs a lot of dough.
DMC used to offer a transfer tank with pump in thier M72 chair. Seems like it would be easy to plumb it into the FI system, and use the stock tank and petcock to gravity feed the chair tank for refills.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
langloisandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Scramblah, VT? NH?

A Scrambler with a hack is on the Whitehorse Gear Facebook pages/albums FYI.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...=photos_stream

I'll find a direct link for this asap.

Andy
Guzzi Breva 750 and more...
langloisandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #20
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Yep , that's why I went and left mine alone and got a bigger motored bike for the tug .
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

I just think you have to know what you really want.

Range is a wonderful thing, but when you have a hack, you can easily carry spare fuel. If I wanted a long-range mile-eating machine, I'd take a touring bike over the hack. However, I didn't buy either hack to fill that void. All said though, they have both done 3k+ mile journeys without an issue. I take the hacks so I can slow things down a bit and enjoy the journey, not to race to the destination.

To me, the Triumph has plenty of power. I've cruised the highway at 75-80 for sustained periods several times, and it does it well. I rarely ride more than 150 miles between stops anyhow, so fuel is never an issue.

The added bonus for the Triumph is that it is a beautiful machine that looks good with a hack. You get good period aesthetics with modern engine technology for a low buy-in price..

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,227
I am pretty sure my Scrambler speedometer is lying to me. I am guessing it is 10-20% optimistic. Power seems to be more than adequate and the torque seems to be available over a broad rpm range, so I don't see a problem there. If you don't like the gearing change the sprockets-no big deal.

Fuel economy looks like it may be an issue. I hit reserve at 134 miles yesterday, and that's solo, without a hack. I guestimate I am getting 40 mpg at best and probably less than that, solo, so expect mid twenties hacked, 30 mpg tops, about the same as my hacked Suzuki Bandit. I suppose I will need to mount a gas can somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag View Post
MPG ranges between 20 MPG (loaded two up, headwind, throttle pinned) to 45 MPG for 30 MPH scenic stretches like the Dempster. No difference in fuel economy between the Dauntless and Velorex tubs as far as I could see. Range on a tank would be somewhere between 90 and 200 miles. Usually I'd get 30 MPG, so about 135 miles until the bike is bone dry.

Midway through 2008 they changed the rear hub design to be stronger. Guess which one my '08 has?

As for gearing, I think the Scrambler is geared too high for sidecar use. Idle is indicated 10 MPH in first gear. Lots of clutch work in traffic and any kind of interesting off pavement use. Thankfully it's easy to rectify by swapping that rear sprocket.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
newenglandjim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I was close to using a triumph on my hack build but I went with the 1200 sportster instead. One of the reasons was torque and the rear wheel has a mag. I'm switching out my front 21" spoked rim for a 19" mag today. They don't look as nice but they work much better with a hack set up.
newenglandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
silverdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
What are you doing to the triumph forks? Springs?

Triumph wheel not up to hack use?
Heavier duty spokes and rim?

Aftermarket exhaust do any thing for the power?
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
silverdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I am pretty sure my Scrambler speedometer is lying to me. I am guessing it is 10-20% optimistic. Power seems to be more than adequate and the torque seems to be available over a broad rpm range, so I don't see a problem there. If you don't like the gearing change the sprockets-no big deal.

Fuel economy looks like it may be an issue. I hit reserve at 134 miles yesterday, and that's solo, without a hack. I guestimate I am getting 40 mpg at best and probably less than that, solo, so expect mid twenties hacked, 30 mpg tops, about the same as my hacked Suzuki Bandit. I suppose I will need to mount a gas can somewhere...
Mid 20s, not so good.... 5 gal= around 100 mi.
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #26
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Best I can get ( it's not hacked , and motor , exhust etc is all stock ) is 42 running at 60 MPH ( used to get better but all gas here has corn squeezeing in now :( . I rode a tank out at 70 etc and got on it harder off stops and it only got 37 MPH . I hit res at 132 to 127 miles most times , 3.2 gals , bike is carbed 07 Scrambler 900 .

I really like it , gets nice comments almost every ride and is very dependable . I ride it a good six months a year to work and back and it's not let me down yet .

airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #27
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

I wonder what the difference in real-world fuel economy is between the carb and EFI models. I was particularly interested in my Bonnie because it was carb'd. There is nothing worse than having EFI problems on the road. Carbs are simple to fix, but may require some tinkering when experiencing significant changes in elevation. That, I can do though, so it was carbs for me.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 383
I have hauled a jerry can on the back of the hack on a couple of trips. Not a fan of dealing with it and I don't like having to scope out a good place to pull over to use it. I'd rather have a bigger main tank. Plus there's the useable luggage space taken up by it. Durability and loss of luggage capacity can be taken care of with a Rotopax, but that's yet more money to put into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdog View Post
What are you doing to the triumph forks? Springs?

Triumph wheel not up to hack use?
Heavier duty spokes and rim?

Aftermarket exhaust do any thing for the power?
I went with beefy fork springs from Racetech, along with cartridge emulators. Wonderful improvement on the front! Out back there's a set of Works Performance shocks, also a great mod. Both of those were amazing bang for the buck.

Triumph wheels could use an upgrade from Woody's Wheel Works for sure. I understand that shop has done a few of them. For sidecar use, might as well go whole hog and get it set up for a car tire, too!

Aftermarket exhaust can help. I have the TOR slip-ons, the quietest aftermarket available, and while that, snorklectomy and rejet/shim/idle mixture adjust helped driveability and power, it's still down. And it's loud. I'm That Guy when I get hard on the throttle.

I once totalled my wishlist to make the Triumph do what I want, and it came up to something like $5,000 from where I'm at now. Arrow exhaust, big bore kit, cams, airbox gut, dyno time, custom aftermarket gas tank (or Tourtank or Rotopax), car tire on the back. And the Triumph isn't quite the "gas, tires, oil" bike my 599 is, and it felt appealing when new but now I would really rather ride than spend evenings in the garage.

So a Bandit 1200 may be in the future. Bike, new triples and mounts from DMC will clock under my wishlist total yet get everything on there and more.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #29
ricmachado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I didn't know the "brits" like to drink that much

I'm using a HD 883 as a tug and I'm happy with it. It is a 04 model, I usually get 40MPG with the hack and around 50 without. the small peanut tank makes the range a little on the short side, I usually go for 85 - 90 before hitting reserve.

I had a small gas jug mounted on the outside of the velorex with 1 gal.
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,227
I started fabricating the mounts for my Scrambler rig tonight. Got the basics tacked together, looks like it should work out pretty nicely...