Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #31
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I started fabricating the mounts for my Scrambler rig tonight. Got the basics tacked together, looks like it should work out pretty nicely...

Cool to see that you are still playing with these things.

What type of chair ?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #32
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,501
I really am excited to see this build.

I just remembered your post about fuel economy. I ran my Bonnie hack tank dry the other day and forgot to report back. 110 miles and she died. MrsDonkeys was behind me on her Ural with a full gas can, so I just coasted to the side and filled up. I probably should have run the reserve dry too, but didn't even think about it at the time.

I've thought about mounting a Ural style can on the sidecar, but I've never been able to bring myself to do it. I just don't find myself far from a gas station very often on this rig. If I am, normally MrsDonkeys is with me carrying fuel on her Ural. I think a MSR bottle is probably enough spare fuel for most of my riding, and it tucks away nicely just about anywhere.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #33
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,184
I had a frustrating afternoon in the shop yesterday. I got my order from New Bonneville -LEDs for the dim(witted) dash lights and a oil fill cap I might be able to remove without burning all the skin off my forearm and a pair of beautiful polished aluminum repro Lucas tail lights-one for the sidecar and one to replace the god awful lump of chromed plastic Triumph provide the bike with.

I had a n ADVrider party to go to up at AppleJam's so my intention was to work on the sidecar mounts and head up the hill after a good day's work on that project but I couldn't resist just checking to see how the lights looked on the bike. In the process I snapped off the plastic tail light housing. Committed I went ahead and installed the new light. DId a careful job,hooked up the leads following the instructions, removed the fender, bolted every thing up and back together only to discover the leads were wired backwards from the factory. FUck me!

So three bolts to pop off the tail light to get to the leads, easy, no? No! The cute tapered stainless allenhead bolts galled to the nuts and the heads hogged out leaving me stuck with the light loose but not off and noway to either tighten or remove it. THe bolts were softer than my wrenches but harder than my drill bits.

I finally borrowed a dremel and blew up a half dozen cut off wheels before I got it off. That left me with no bolts to fix it, all the stores in Po dunk closed and all my vehicles disabled. No progress was made and I missed the party. Maybe today....
RedMenace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #34
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Thought I would add that I have a set of Hagon Road shocks Classic III
that I bought early this summer thinking that I would hack my Scrambler . That said
they are sprung a bit to hard for solo use , I have been using them this summer but they really are a bit hard even on the first setting .

I had the springs set for my 300 lb size plus having my wife ride . They ride good two up on the FIRST setting .

http://hagonshocksusa.com/HagShocks.htm

If anyone would be interested in buying them , just shoot me a PM . They are standard Scrambler length .

best

spro

airspro screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 10:36 AM
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #35
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,301
Vernon, sounds like you need to go to the party anyway. Pack your shit up into the cage and go! Folks'll be pissed if you don't show!
DRONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #36
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 370

Going to scrape up the dough to have Woody build a stronger rear wheel on this thing!
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #37
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

I found oversized stainless spokes for my Tiger. Been too long, don't remember where I got them but I sourced them from the UK. A local shop relaced the wheel for about $50. It fixed my spoke problem then. I wonder if I will need to do that with this scrambler, too...

It's been my experience that once you break a spoke or two you might as well replace them all. They get stressed when one is missing. You can usually force a replacement spoke in and retrue the wheel. It will work for awhile but eventually the next one will go.

RedMenace screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 06:01 AM
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #38
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I found oversized stainless spokes for my Tiger. Been too long, don't remember where I got them but I sourced them from the UK. A local shop relaced the wheel for about $50. It fixed my spoke problem then. I wonder if I will need to do that with this scrambler, too...

It's been my experience that once you break a spoke or two you might as well replace them all. They get stressed when one is missing. You can usually force a replacement spoke in and retrue the whee. It will work for awhile but eventually the next one will go.
Agree unless spokes were loose to begin with. Sometimes the loose ones don't break but are not doing their job so the others get more responsibility and bail out. Chain reaction etc.
Does anyone still tie their spokes together like we did in the old days?

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #39
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 370
I had about 15,000 miles of no problems with a sidecar on the Scrambler. After my trip earlier this year I think I may have greatly stressed the rig with heavy loading, "high" speeds , really, really bad roads that busted my sidecar shock up and I'm slowly getting better at cornering, thus going faster.

I had four broken spokes after the trip, this one just let go, maybe I've weeded out the weak ones now.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,471
Hey Vernon give me a call when you can. That machined mount we were doing for the upper rear was a mess. So back to plan 'A' for you but I would like to discuss what we are up to for some food for thought for you.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Hey Vernon give me a call when you can. That machined mount we were doing for the upper rear was a mess. So back to plan 'A' for you but I would like to discuss what we are up to for some food for thought for you.
Thanks, I have it covered now. I do want to see what your solution to the exhaust clearance issue was. Sent you a pm, will phone when I can. Hoping things will come together this week; I will post photos. So far it is looking very promising. I like the frame on this bike-lot's of mounting options.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #42
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

I don't know what Triumph was thinking with that plastic piece of crap tailight they installed but I think this aluminum Lucas repro is a big improvement

I fabbed some brackets to mount the turnsignals to the frame under the seat. The mount works well but the wiring is not as straightforward as I expected it to be.

The Sputnik will need some sprucing up, but that can wait until I get it mounted

RedMenace screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 07:24 AM
Old 10-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #43
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag View Post
I had about 15,000 miles of no problems with a sidecar on the Scrambler. After my trip earlier this year I think I may have greatly stressed the rig with heavy loading, "high" speeds , really, really bad roads that busted my sidecar shock up and I'm slowly getting better at cornering, thus going faster.

I had four broken spokes after the trip, this one just let go, maybe I've weeded out the weak ones now.

Matt, what sidecar wheel lead did you end up with and can you post a photo showing where your lower mounts ended up? I mocked things up yesterday, aiming for 12" lead and I am not happy with how long the rear lower mount is ending up.....

Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #44
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Broke spokes common on Scramblers?

I ask because the Scrambler looks like a tempting choice for my next tug. When I got my first hack 20 years ago for my BMW R100GS I bought some spare spokes... 20 years later they're still sitting unused.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #45
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,785
Broke spokes common on Scramblers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGrrrl View Post
I ask because the Scrambler looks like a tempting choice for my next tug. When I got my first hack 20 years ago for my BMW R100GS I bought some spare spokes... 20 years later they're still sitting unused.
I'm comfortable with this response from Motoblag, as I knew they changed in '08-'09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag View Post
Midway through 2008 they changed the rear hub design to be stronger. Guess which one my '08 has?

Unfortunately this rules out my friend's '07 with one spoke broken already. Having Woody build me a set of wheels would cost as much as what I can get the bike for.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote