Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
How do you use your SPOT messages?

So there are basically five types of messages:
Track, OK, Custom, Help, SOS

Track is what it is; I don't think you can add any information to those messages.
OK, Custom and Help can generate an email with a message text.
SOS supposedly calls in the cavalry.

So how do folks use these? Here is what I do:

OK
I generally hit this when I start off in the mornings, and whenever I am going to stop for "a long time" (i.e. more than just lunch).
I include my Spotwalla link in my OK message.

Custom
I've not used this yet; I've not figured out what, how, when.

Help
Sent to key people who know I am traveling. I use it to mean 'something went wrong' but I am not hurt (not seriously at least). There will likely be a change of plans. I'll contact them soon, but they should try to contact me if they can.

What do other folks do?

BTW, I have two 'profiles' - one for solo trips and one for trips w/my buddy. The email addresses are slightly different, but the message types are pretty much the same.

thanks,
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
I have mine set as:

OK - I've stopped for photo/fuel/pee/food/drink. All's well

Custom - I've stopped for the night. All's well

Help - I need a tow truck

SOS - of course sends in the calvary.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
mine is similar to above

ok= Unclebud just checking all is ok

custom= Unclebud has reached his destination for todays travel

help= Need help please call the authorities with these coordinates
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Thumb

Thanks!
I like the suggestion of Custom meaning 'at my final destination for today'.
That let's OK be used for all other (temporary) stoppages.
Thanks again
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I'm a Dual Sport guy that does day trips solo. Wife worries. So, "Custom" sends a text to my wife that I'm in the Dirt; and "Okay" sends a text to her that I am out of the Dirt. She only has to worry for the dirt time NOT the asphalt component.

She knows how to use my desk top to locate me. The "Help" button sends a text (and an email to local friend), that I'm okay but need vehicle assistance--this has been used once successfully, when I had to leave my bike (over a cliff when a soft sand berm gave way--I stayed at the top) in the back country and hike to a gate where she could collect me.

--stan
DirtSolace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I do long trips alone and have come up with the following system. I should say that I only use the messages when something has gone wrong. I never use them as an everything is okay status update.

Okay:
I am fine, please ignore any previous requests for help you may have gotten. This is mostly in case I accidentally sent a request for help or if the situation has changed since I sent the request.

Custom:
I am physically okay, but most likely need a tow truck.

Help:
I am hurt and need medical assistance. This would be sent along with the SOS.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Hayden#69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I do big trips alone also and Each button sends texts and emails to Sis, Dad, Uncle, and 3 riding buddies.

Ok.
This one says " Alls well." Only pushed once a day at noon.

Custom.
This one says " Alls good, camping for the Night."

Help.
This one says " May have bike problems but can not move from this location.

SoS. This one is for Family only.

All of the recipients know that I only use the SPOT when out of Cell service. Meaning.....if no hear from me.....I have had Cell service all day and at camp loaction so no need to inform you yahoos. LOL. If I can, I text everyone any how but they know already that if they get info from SPOT, Im remote.
Hayden#69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Pretty much the same

If traveling with a buddy or group, push the OK button at noon and later in the day. If traveling solo, I push ok about every hour or so just to keep the wife calm. About 2 or 3 people get the OK update.

Custom, only goes to the wife, with a custom message, basically that I am okay and out of cell phone coverage, not to expect a call that night, but that I am fine.

Have not used the others, but have immediate family members on the HELP button. I have never used that one, even though been in some pickels here and there, i am not the type to call in for help, figure if I was dumb enough to get into the mess, i can figure out a way out. When and if I push help, i mean i need it, so come a charging.

SOS is send the calvary, and bring ammo. Or beer.
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,057
Ok.
This is a cool SPOT and I'm stopping for the day.

Custom.
This is a cool SPOT but I'm going to keep moving.

Help.
I have some kind of mechanical problem. If I push this again within four hours please send help.

SOS. I'm badly hurt. Please come rescue me and my bike.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
Spot Messages

OK = Everything is great! Just checking in.

Help = This is a non-medical emergency. Mechanical breakdown. Help to GPS coord ASAP. Format is deg/deci deg

Custom = This is a medical yet currently non life threat emergency. Help to GPS coords ASAP. Format is deg/deci deg.

SOS = This is a medical emergency message for _________DOB 09/09/99. I reside in __________ CA with __________. I'm unable to continue without assistance and I feel that I need medical attention immediately, otherwise I would have used my help assistance. Please send Paramedic ASAP. GPS coord format is deg/deci deg <----- Good? Most are missing a few details here I think.

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."

BootDragger screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 07:45 PM
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 141
@BootDragger, just a little technicality you may want to consider. You might want to change your message from "EMT" to "Paramedic". Some areas run a two tiered EMS system. BLS and ALS. Basic Life Support which are the EMT's and Advanced Life Support which is paramedic level. While it is not likely, given that your message is requesting EMS for essentially an unknown problem, it is very much within the realm of possibility that a dispatcher for such a system might send you exactly what you requested. If you have a broken leg you want the folks with the morphine and fluids. That is only supplied by paramedics.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMedic View Post
@BootDragger, just a little technicality you may want to consider. You might want to change your message from "EMT" to "Paramedic". Some areas run a two tiered EMS system. BLS and ALS. Basic Life Support which are the EMT's and Advanced Life Support which is paramedic level. While it is not likely, given that your message is requesting EMS for essentially an unknown problem, it is very much within the realm of possibility that a dispatcher for such a system might send you exactly what you requested. If you have a broken leg you want the folks with the morphine and fluids. That is only supplied by paramedics.
Post yours up!

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
Earth
I Break Fixed Stuff

Oddometer: 59
Hey team,
I think we're all close to using the same messages but there are TWO THINGS OF IMPORTANCE we must all follow: first, make sure your receiving party understands what each of your messages mean and, second, add something to your SOS msg to the effect that your COORDS are in decimal degrees WGS84 datum.
I read this post on ADV that made me think about this. Do what ya want but it couldn't hurt to include it or some variant.

I also added a "shortened URL" to my SPOT Shared page for a super quick map link especially useful on a smartphone!

Anyway, these are my settings:

OK: Ed's checking-in & OK. View my position: http://goo.gl/Pi47R Bye4Now!

CUSTOM: MSG from Ed: Stopped for now. Will send "OK" msg when I'm moving again. See my position at http://goo.gl/Pi47R

HELP: Ed needs HELP ASAP! Non-life-threatening. See my position at http://goo.gl/Pi47R Send pickup truck or trailer.

SOS: Ed has activated his SOS beacon which means he or someone in his party needs life or limb help ASAP. Ed has no allergies and takes no special medications. See his position online at http://goo.gl/Pi47R The COORDS sent are decimal degrees WGS84 datum; set your GPS to same to locate him.

Earth screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 07:33 AM
Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,048
My CUSTOM message sends a message to my girlfriend saying, "Crashed or broken down, I'm ok, please get my van and come pick me/my bike up at this location."
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 399
OK - "Just checking in, hit up the google map"

Custom - "Found something nifty"

Help - Spot tow service (I've used it, it worked out perfect after my clutch went 45 miles from home)

SOS - calvary