Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
For about $9000 OTD I could get a brand new Vespa GTS300 Super, and be in dreamland. But I just can't justify spending that much money on a scooter when one half that price is just as much fun, just as fast, just as reliable, has cheaper parts, and I wouldn't have to worry nearly as much about getting a scratch on it. A big part of the fun of riding a scooter to me is the low price of admission. All 3 of my current scooters were around $3000 new, so I can actually ride them without worry.
You keep singing the same old song jerry, but everyones situation and economics are different.

We get it...you arent a 9000 dollar scooter guy.

At the end of the day though you said...."you'd be in dreamland with a Vespa". Thats the key....other scoots maY be just as much fun etc but they arent a Vespa. Im not sayin a Vespa is better, but it is a Vespa.

The "X" Factor is often the difference in price and thats worth the money to many who buy Vespas. Or Harleys. Or other iconic branded items.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
You keep singing the same old song jerry, but everyones situation and economics are different.
I'm just glad he quit singing this time without making us suffer yet again though his life story, comprehensive vehicle list, mad technical skillz, and diatribe about everything he hates in this world and the next.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm just glad he quit singing this time without making us suffer yet again though his life story, comprehensive vehicle list, mad technical skillz, and diatribe about everything he hates in this world and the next.
Now you've done it...
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,280
Before this augers in...
780 miles, just over 200 today, and this is still a hoot. Picked up my top box today and I'll post a pic as soon as I get it installed.

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I've got a 2012 DR650. Last March I picked up a slightly used 2012 SYM HD200 EVO. I rarely ride the DR anymore if I'm staying on pavement. The SYM is just plain fun.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Aw crap, I don't speak or read Italian. I'm not sure what the hell they want you to do BUT the plastic insert that replaces (or shown to replace in the exploded view) doesn't fit. There are multiple plates so I'm wondering if you just choose the one that works but at this point I'm not sure.

Anyone have the English instructions?

Gerg

hESgLtqESqM1Q

Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post

We get it...you arent a 9000 dollar scooter guy.

At the end of the day though you said...."you'd be in dreamland with a Vespa". Thats the key....other scoots maY be just as much fun etc but they arent a Vespa. Im not sayin a Vespa is better, but it is a Vespa.

The "X" Factor is often the difference in price and thats worth the money to many who buy Vespas. Or Harleys. Or other iconic branded items.
I get the difference between a Vespa and everything else, and Harley and everything else.

What I don't get, is why a brand new Forza should cost $2500 more than a SYM CitiCom300. Both are Asian, neither has a prestigious name or heritage, they are both about the same quality. True, many people are willing to fork over the extra money because the Honda probably has more PERCEIVED quality. That just means they haven't done their homework. SYM even has a 2 year warranty, compared to 1 year for Honda.

I also understand that the CitiCom I'm talking about is last years model, and not a new design, but it is still new. The dealer is offering a great deal on it. The Forza is new here, but has apparently been sold in other parts of the world already. I doubt there will be any deals on the Forza, unless it is a total flop.

Most of this IS speculation. The only FACT is that the CitiCom is available, brand new, right now, for $4500 OTD. The Forza (non ABS) is $7000 OTD right now.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I get the difference between a Vespa and everything else, and Harley and everything else.

What I don't get, is why a brand new Forza should cost $2500 more than a SYM CitiCom300. Both are Asian, neither has a prestigious name or heritage, they are both about the same quality. True, many people are willing to fork over the extra money because the Honda probably has more PERCEIVED quality. That just means they haven't done their homework. SYM even has a 2 year warranty, compared to 1 year for Honda.

I also understand that the CitiCom I'm talking about is last years model, and not a new design, but it is still new. The dealer is offering a great deal on it. The Forza is new here, but has apparently been sold in other parts of the world already. I doubt there will be any deals on the Forza, unless it is a total flop.

Most of this IS speculation. The only FACT is that the CitiCom is available, brand new, right now, for $4500 OTD. The Forza (non ABS) is $7000 OTD right now.

Some people crave a nice steak, some prefer hamburger. Both beef.
Go figure.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 854
That big dollar Vespa is striking. So is a 22 year old Italian supermodel. Doesn't mean I could afford to take either of them home... but, it is fun to look.

In marketing strategy, a $12,000 125cc scooter is smart: there will be a few well-heeled folks who can afford the price of admission and will enjoy the bragging rights. It will probably show up in next year's Neiman-Marcus Christmas Catalog. Let's be realistic: they aren't gonna make a bunch of 'em. PLUS, it makes the rest of their line seem reasonably priced by comparison!

Jim
Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Sorry to interrupt the facts and opinions

I got the top box figured out. The plastic insert in the tail rack is supposed to be replaced by one with holes to mount the base. The furnished replacement was a different shape and wouldn't work. I was able to drill the stock plate and get everything to fit.

A couple of observations.
The black doesn't match the scooter. It's a metallic black. (but it does match the quad )
The back rest pad is BEIGE.

The black color thing is no biggie, the pad thing is BUT if I put it on, my passenger will be sitting too far forward. It's nice and smooth so I think I'll try having my wife lean against it to see if that'll be acceptable. If not I'll have it recovered in black, unless I can find a match for the red, and install it.

The box is huge. This is my SyMax III in XXL

The top will close easily.

One other nice feature is they give you a tumbler set with the scooter that matches the scooter key. That was easy to install and now they are keyed alike. Just be careful, it'll be easy to lock your keys inside the box.

I'll try to get some better pictures out in the daylight tomorrow.

Now for a little taller windscreen and I'll be all set.

hESgLtqESqM1Q

Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Sorry to interrupt the facts and opinions

I got the top box figured out. The plastic insert in the tail rack is supposed to be replaced by one with holes to mount the base. The furnished replacement was a different shape and wouldn't work. I was able to drill the stock plate and get everything to fit.

A couple of observations.
The black doesn't match the scooter. It's a metallic black. (but it does match the quad )
The back rest pad is BEIGE.

The black color thing is no biggie, the pad thing is BUT if I put it on, my passenger will be sitting too far forward. It's nice and smooth so I think I'll try having my wife lean against it to see if that'll be acceptable. If not I'll have it recovered in black, unless I can find a match for the red, and install it.

The box is huge. This is my SyMax III in XXL

The top will close easily.

One other nice feature is they give you a tumbler set with the scooter that matches the scooter key. That was easy to install and now they are keyed alike. Just be careful, it'll be easy to lock your keys inside the box.

I'll try to get some better pictures out in the daylight tomorrow.

Now for a little taller windscreen and I'll be all set.
I just installed mine tonight too. It came with all of the right pieces. Same 48 liter case as yours, but mine is the appropriate matte silver with reddish backrest to match the seat. And yes, it does match. I kind of cracked up at the warning sticker that came with mine, which said "warning - when the top case is fitted the front tire must be inflated to 36.26 PSI".

If your kit came with a cutout template for mounting the backrest pad, check closely before you drill. Mine was wrong. I discovered this by holding the template up to the black plastic side of the backrest pad, and found the drill holes in the template did not match up to the holes in the backrest. Additionally, the template did not fit into the hinges of the case as the picture depicted. Long story short, I took my own measurements and drilled. It came out fine.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #27
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinrider View Post
The new Vespa 946. The most expensive 125cc scooter. All yours for US$12,000.
Quote:
For about $9000 OTD I could get a brand new Vespa GTS300 Super, and be in dreamland.
Just where are you guys plucking these numbers from?

The 946 is to list for $9946. in the US. If you wait for the dust to settle, I'll bet it can be had for $10K OTD.

I didn't get a great deal on my GTS300 and it was $7K OTD.
How do you get to $9K?

You two wouldn't be exaggerating to fortify a point, would you?
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:03 AM   #28
gaijinrider
Positively positive

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
Just where are you guys plucking these numbers from?

The 946 is to list for $9946. in the US. If you wait for the dust to settle, I'll bet it can be had for $10K OTD.
Here http://www.rondaleyscooters.co.uk/vespa-946-i3055.html
It's quoted in Pounds and if you do the conversion at current rates to the dollar it will end up with a liitle under US$12,000.
gaijinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #29
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinrider View Post
Here http://www.rondaleyscooters.co.uk/vespa-946-i3055.html
It's quoted in Pounds and if you do the conversion at current rates to the dollar it will end up with a liitle under US$12,000.
Oh! Well see, there you go, you're wrong.

Not about the exchange rate mind you, but about being able to determine the MSRP in other markets around the world using this method.
It doesn't work for motorcycles, cars, binoculars, toasters, or most anything else.
Pricing varies from country to country.

Hey, you just learned something.

US price
http://rideapart.com/2013/04/vespa-946-priced-at-9946/
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #30
gaijinrider
Positively positive

Oddometer: 59
: ...next

gaijinrider screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 05:08 AM