Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #31
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
The low price is what I like about my scoot, I just dont really need to look after it. I can just leave it parked and if it gets knocked over or knocked off I dont care that much compared to my motorcycles.

Its actually a freedom machine like that....
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #32
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
The low price is what I like about my scoot, I just dont really need to look after it. I can just leave it parked and if it gets knocked over or knocked off I dont care that much compared to my motorcycles.

Its actually a freedom machine like that....
That's how I feel about my Ruckus. I leave it by my front door for quick jaunts to the beer store, grocery store, whatever. Great to just hop on and go. Cheap and reliable and more economical than any of my cars.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,414
Here the MSRP is $6400. Add $640 sales tax to that, and you get $7040. Then there is a $230 title and registration charge. Now you have $7270. Then there is a $365 "doc" fee, which is what the dealer charges you to do the paperwork to get the title and registration in the mail, and put a paper plate on it at the time of delivery. Now it's $7635. Now add a $399 freight charge, and you have $8,034.00. Then you have the final insult. A $288 dealer prep charge. So you wind up with an OTD total of $8,322.00. So you are right, it is not $9,000. I got these numbers directly from the dealer, Victory BMW/Vespa in Chandler, AZ. That is still almost $2000 more than the MSRP, and way more than $7,000, so I'd say you did get a very good deal. And such deals may be out there, which is why it pays to shop around. But you won't get a deal like that in this area on a Vespa. Dealers don't overstock Vespas, like many Japanese dealers do. And they know what they can get for them. There are no "Vespa only" dealers here, so they are not dependent on just selling Vespas to stay in business. They actually don't sell that many. There is a small but steady market for them.

I considered getting a cheap used Japanese or Taiwanese, or even Chinese scooter for "transportation" but already have a car like that, and for me, running to the store is a lot easier in a car. My 5 year old Vino 125 with 24,000 miles on it has very little "monetary" value, because of the miles, but it still runs and looks like new, has never been dropped, or even ridden on a dirt road, so I continue to take care of it the same as new.

JerryH screwed with this post 08-03-2013 at 03:38 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
Jerry,
Take a road trip to LA. Vespa Sherman Oaks, is a good start.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattzoo View Post
I don't know what it is about scooters that makes them so much fun. I bought one in March to commute on (a PCX 150), thought it was a bit small for what I needed it for, switched to a Majesty 400, and I'm hooked. I loved my motorcycles, but scoots are just as much fun, and I can carry a ton of stuff to work without any additional equipment.

At first I found myself saying "I've rode motorcycles for years..." to everyone. Now, I no longer care!
I can tell you what it is. No more worrying about what gear you're in or if you're lugging the engine. No more downshifting and then hunting for N at lights. Luggage space.

Yah, for a time I worried about my manhood. Then I got real - I'm no spring chicken; the girls who look at guys on big, bad motorcycles...I'm almost old enough to be their grandfathers. I love riding; but the female adulation I got when I was in my twenties...now it's gone.

Before I got big in scoots, I had a BMW. And that's when I realized that an oldish, white-haired fart on a big, expensive motorcycle...is still an old white-haired fart. And can expected to be treated as such.

Now I'm an old, white-haired fart on a big scooter. I get JUST AS MUCH respect. Truly.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #36
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH
Talking about MSRP
Jerry, I do not believe I've EVER paid MSRP for ANY Motor Vehicle. Quoting MSRP kinda shows you have zero negotiating skills

As has been said many times before in numerous threads, find a dealer that deals. The ONLY fixed cost is the License which is governed by the state. Taxes go down with the price as it's a percentage. The transportation cost IS fixed but can be reduced as part of the overall package.

In MY experience MSRP out the door is a good starting point. Trust me, they will not give it away and its just part of the dance to see where they will draw the line for their profit margin.

Quit beating the

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #37
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Jerry, I do not believe I've EVER paid MSRP for ANY Motor Vehicle. Quoting MSRP kinda shows you have zero negotiating skills

As has been said many times before in numerous threads, find a dealer that deals. The ONLY fixed cost is the License which is governed by the state. Taxes go down with the price as it's a percentage. The transportation cost IS fixed but can be reduced as part of the overall package.

In MY experience MSRP out the door is a good starting point. Trust me, they will not give it away and its just part of the dance to see where they will draw the line for their profit margin.

Quit beating the
No, you're wrong. No one in Arizona ever pays less than full ripoff for everything they buy. It's a conspiracy

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

With most brands and dealers that is true. But not around here on Vespa or Harley. You can get a deal on most everything else, IF the timing is right. I have bought several Japanese bikes OTD for less than MSRP. It was near the end of the model year, and they had to get rid of them to make room for the new models. It was costing them to let them sit on the floor or in their warehouse. Vespa and Harley dealers are never overstocked. They keep just enough to meet demand. And unlike Japanese bikes, Vespas and Harleys are never a sales flop, like the Honda DN-01, Rune, and SH150i, which had to be sold at a significant discount to get rid of them

Not a conspiracy, just plain old greed.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #39
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post

Quit beating the
It's kinda hard to compare (hypothetical) deals at one line's dealer to deals at another brand's retailer.

You might save a few dollars. But a Harley dealer isn't going to "deal" enough to lower his prices to Suzuki territory.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #40
JerryH
Vintage Rider

That's why I'm not going to buy a new Vespa or Harley. Probably not even Japanese. My next scooter will likely be a Kymco or SYM. That seems to be where the good deals are.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #41
[N8]
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I've been a japanese bike fan all my life but I rode a Kymco for a year and had no regrets. All I ever did was change the oil. I'd get another someday...
[N8] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #42
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
That's all I'm doing with my SYM HD200 - changing the oil. Now and then I wash it.

No searching for that evasive DR650 neutral.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #43
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Not just you.

I have ridden my Tiger 800 a grand total of two times since buying my BV350 3.5 weeks ago. Both times I rode the Tiger I found myself wishing I was on the BV350. It's so much more comfortable.

My BV has had a couple of minor issues with loose hardware, and is now in the shop with a bad rear tire (out of round, causing the scooter to "hop" at 45 - 50 mph). I've really missed commuting on it this week, can't wait to get it back.
Bueller,

You got scooter? Cool! Last fall I bought Vespa GTS 250 Super. Love it! Been riding it more than my Bonnie since I sold my GS. Who knew scootering would be this much fun?

My best to Candi.

Rick G
Rick G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Is this an other thread about Jerry?

Please, I have had enough of Jerry's Opinions, and stories about himself. Stop already, we have all heard it all already and it's not an interesting story.

Back to the original topic...

Took the KLR to McD's for my senior coffee this morning. I kept thinking that I wished that I was on my GTS.

I prefer to ride my vehicles rather than use a battery charger, but the GTS is so much quieter, smoother and more fun. I'm happy to say that I have not forgotten how to shift or use the clutch...yet!

Just an observation...there seems to be a lot of folks who were BMW mc riders before getting their scooters. Maybe that's what the BMW market researchers found, and why BMW introduced their oversized 650. Too bad BMW forgot how to build a simple, reliable, light bike. Glad I discovered scooters.
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #45
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Hey Dave,

I agree about BMW abandoning simple, lighter bikes for their current gargantuan line. My first BMW was an R50, followed by an R75, and finally an R100s. They were simple and reliable
and had a bit of panache.

My friend has one of the 2013 models replete with hard bags and gps and every doodad he could think of. I climbed aboard and found that I was on my toes, a deal-breaker for me. My DR felt
like a feather in comparison.

I still ride the DR about twice a week, but my daily go-to is the SYM, which, as others have mentioned, is just plain fun.

blugg1 screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 12:49 PM
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote