User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
discochris OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Is the old car hobby going to die off?

The "getting the young'uns on a bike" thread brought up something I've been thinking about for some time, that being the future of the vintage car hobby.

My wife and I took Disco Jr. to a small local car show a couple of weeks back, and the average age of the people there and the car owners was probably about 60. I commented at the time that it seems like the vintage car enthusiast is a dying breed. I'm 40, and while I love old cars/trucks (and boats and motorcycles), it seems that people my age and younger aren't getting into it like people older than us did. I have a 1966 Ford Truck that I semi-restored, a 1965 boat, and I had an old Beetle too, but I don't know too many people that have old stuff or have any interest in such things.

I suspect part of it is cost or that people don't want to deal with the quirks of older stuff (the recent thread on buying a vintage Mustang as opposed to a late model one comes to mind.) I think part of it too is that the cars we grew up with for the most part don't have the romanticism that the older cars from the early 70's and earlier had. The example I gave was "who would want to restore a 1985 Cutlass Ciera they grew up driving?" I don't know why - it just seems kind of sad to me.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
I also think cost is a big issue. I've always lusted after a Charger, but there is no way you can touch em for a reasonable price.

I love the look of the old muscle cars, but will likely never own one. The performance of newer cars is much better, at similar or less cost than buying a car that is 40 years old in decent shape.

Also want a 72 Z28
Old 08-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,952
At 60, I'm one of the younger guys in my Ford Model A club. Very, very few young guys seem to be interested in restoring one to factory condition-if anything, they want to make a "rat rod". I suppose it is a money thing, even for a car as common and accessible as a Model A. When I was young, I had neither the money or the time to indulge a hobby like old cars. I really had no place to work on one then, and more importantly, I did not yet have the needed skills and tools that come from a lifetime of working on cars.

Car shows: only old guys have the time to waste a whole weekend sitting in a lawn chair next to their car!
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,817
The "classics" will change, just wait 10-20 years people will be bringing back cars of the 80's and 90's. If I had money laying around I'd love a 87-88 Thunderbird turbo coupe....it's the same body style as my grandfather's old T-bird but with a standard transmission, plus I was a kid of the sport compact age so turbo 4's are what I cut my teeth on.

It's all about what cars you remember and have an attachment to, but what are called the "classics" have stayed roughly the same for the past decade or 2 so that generation is getting older. The only 80's car that I can think of that comes close is the Buick GNX.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,050
This was just a topic over on the AACA forum.
http://forums.aaca.org/f169/greatest...by-355631.html
The model railroad hobby has the same concern. Kids today are engaged in electronics, not mechanics. They'll probably collect old video game consoles. They didn't grow up taking apart old lawn mower engines or helping Dad fix the car. Heck, half of them don't even have Dad living under the same roof.

Cost doesn't have to be a deterrent. Sure, everyone wants a '57 Chevy convertible or a '66 GTO...that's why the prices are insane. But you can still buy slightly off brand old cars or even just four doors for decent money. I've been shopping the mostly unloved 66-70 Falcons and you can buy nice driver/amateur show cars for $5000-$7000 all day long.

There are some kids with an interest in history, but most dismiss it as boring. I've always had a healthy interest in old cars; can't tell you where it came from. I like anything old. I like the experimentation they had to exhibit, the hardy build quality, and post-war the tremendous amount of style the designers ran amok with. Cars today don't have that enduring style; they are all a different take on the same jellybean.

Another deterrent, even for guys in their 40s-50s that have the money (the age group I'm in, though not so much the money category) is the misguided belief that you can't drive these older cars. Everything needs a V8 swap and a Mustang II suspension. They don't appreciate the driving experience aspect of antique vehicles, though it can be limiting on the distance you'll want to travel.

There's a lot of factors that contribute to this, but I think the disinterest in cars in general in the youth is the biggest thing. Kids no longer eagerly await their 16th birthday so they can get a license. Lots of young people today don't bother getting it until they are 18-21, and then only because their parents won't cart them around anymore.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,155
The whole "car culture" thing isn't being picked up by the younger generation, which is partly why they have so little interest in "classic cars."

A lot of us old guys got laid for the first time in a car. I don't think that happens so much nowadays.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Hope not....I am getting to the point where I just can't take care of them anymore, and thinking something with AC, and cup holders would be more fun, get more use over a 67 Triumph GT6, Opel GT, Fiat...or anything else. I really enjoy my old Fiero it is older, not that common, but has AC Power breaks, and is not work to drive like my cars from the 60's-early 70's. Would I be happy with a new Mustang or Boxster....I think I would...but this is just an old thing.

I think kids today are going to look at cars of their youth....not those from our youth....but some always will.....and you have to admit a GT6, Opel GT and such are some pretty cool looking old cars....nothing on the road looks like them, they have their own personality....they are not appliances.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,987
It is very possible that younger people have no or little disposable income to spend. Just the way the baby boomers want it.....

Oh, yeah and the price of gas...much controlled by those of the baby boomer age. It's hard to justify a vehicle that costs money and then $4.00/gallon to run it...

I'd love to have some old cars/trucks but am not going to invest in a hobby the 4 dollars / gallon to enjoy.

It's kinda interesting, I am in a training class this week and the instructor was laughing about how he has a pension and the younger people will have no idea what that is.... yeah, real funny. thanks for this country you are leaving...

xr400r screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 05:04 AM
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
The whole "car culture" thing isn't being picked up by the younger generation, which is partly why they have so little interest in "classic cars."
Sure it is! ...but their version of 'car culture' isn't the same as mine or yours. How many Civics do you see running around that are modified? Last trend was mini trucks. Next trend? Who knows.

They're using what they've got just like Dad used what he had when he built his 33 Ford p/u: cheap cars that you can modify cheaply.

Quote:
A lot of us old guys got laid for the first time in a car. I don't think that happens so much nowadays.
I wouldn't bet on that.

M
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I wouldn't bet on that.

M

yer gettin too old to be still doing it nowadays. knock it off
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,674
I want a birth-year baby blue El Camino with a 308, geared stupid tall with an auto for hauling bikes and yard waste. By birth-year, I mean 1981. It is the only old POS car I have any interest in, mostly because they are as fucked up as a football bat.

As for getting laid in a car, I put footprints on the rear windows of an '88 Mazda. You had to be part gymnast to get busy in the cars of my youth, unless you could get ahold of mom's minivan.

All told, autos hold my attention for about ten seconds at a time, before something shiny comes along.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post

No kidding.

I've noticed this talking to kids in class. There are a rare few that have/want/desire 60s-70s Muscle Cars or even anything that would make a hot rod.

The rest are looking for WRXs and RX-7s, if not 20 year old M3s and whatnot. There are still what I would have called gear heads out there, but they are in ones and twos, not like when I was a kid and there were packs of us that would muster to drop in an engine or pull a transmission, or just get together and hit every junk yard for 200 miles trying to find a 9" cheap or a 4-bolt block.

That shit doesn't happen anymore, like at all.

Can't really blame them, the 70-80s didn't offer much in anything that will ever be a classic.

Stack a 70 Cutlass next to a mid-80s Cutty, which would you rather go into debt grabbing parts for.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #13
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
The "getting the young'uns on a bike" thread brought up something I've been thinking about for some time, that being the future of the vintage car hobby.

- it just seems kind of sad to me.
The future is bleak if this is any indication of things to come...

Pat The NES Punk on Pawn Stars by twfdisturbed
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
I'm 21 and have a healthy interest in cars and bike, both new and classics. I've had two fun cars so far, a subaru wrx and a honda s2000 (my current car). I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older car if it the stars aligned and it was a model I liked in good shape and a decent price. There are certain feelings you get when driving a classic; the noise, the smells, the vibrations, that you just won't find in many modern cars. Unfortunately not many people my age don't really care about that stuff, but they're not really car people anyway. As previously mentioned, the prices of classic cars has gotten a little out of hand. Some cars that aren't even particularly desirable are now going for more money than they sold for originally. Rusty, crushed up car bodies sell for thousands if it is a desirable model. Many of the "classics" that I would be interested in aren't readilly available in this country or are quite hard to find, like japanese sedans and sports cars and european cars (not british) from the 60s and 70s. The trick to buying a classic car is finding one of the less desirable models that YOU like and enjoy and make it how you want. Not everybody has to have a 1970s muscle car collection.

And there are some cool cars out there from the 80s and 90s, they just didn't come from America
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
The future is bleak if this is any indication of things to come...

Pat The NES Punk on Pawn Stars by twfdisturbed
Holy Shit.
(Sorry we never touched base- I did something to my back and have been pretty immobile.)
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: