Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #46
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
Brough Superior SS100. T.E. Lawrence, enough said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post

Number 2:

Steve McQueen

Who can't say they vividly remember "the Jump"? That's a pretty iconic and thus, significant moment.

And number 3:

Popularized by Ted Simon, this 500 CC Triumph that he took around the world was documented in Jupiters Travels, and really paved the way for a lot of modern day ADV riders -- his book showed a lot of people what COULD be done from the saddle of a bike; even if the closest one gets to an Around the World adventure is their local forest service road, there's still the spirit of adventure and discovery.

Just my 2 rubles :)
These, and I'll add:

Che's Norton.
tommysmothers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #47
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Another vote for Lawrence's Brough Superior. Hell of a bike and story and one of the best ones I've seen in the flesh.

Vincent Black Shadow - It was the 'Busa of its day.

Ducati 916 - It's a cliche, but it is a timeless design and no other single bike comes close to typifying the "sexy Italian superbike".

BMW 1150GS - Yes, as purists, we all know the 1150 was just "one of many" and that it should be all about the original R80GS, but it is the 1150 that catapaulted ADV riding into the public conciousness.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #48
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
Can't believe this thread made it 3 pages without a mention of this....

The Harley Davidson XR 750

Evel Knievel's weapon of choice, and debatably the best dirt track bike ever made.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #49
Elkster88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
How about the 1982 Honda CX500T. First motorcycle to have electronic fuel injection from the factory.
What about the 1980 Z1000G/H, and the 1981 GPz1100? Both had EFI before the 1982 model year.

Nothing against the CX500T, fantastic bike.
Elkster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #50
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyh View Post
1909 Harley -Harley's first production v twin.

1923 BMW R32- BMW's first boxer powered motorcycle.

1938 triumph speed twin, variations of this engine was used in Triumphs until the 70s.

1957 Harley Sportster

Honda super cub 1958-? The most produced motor vehicle in history with what was probably the most iconic motorsports advertising campaign of all time.

1969 Honda cb 750-the first inline 4 Sportbike.

1973 Yamaha monoshock, started the long travel mx revolution.

1980 BMW gs- the first big adventure touring bike?

1984-2000 Harley big twins- The evolution powered bikes changed Harley into the giant that it is today and may be the most iconic bikes ever.

1985 gsxr 750- The first modern sport bike.

1994 Ducati 916- Every Sportbike designed since is just trying to look as nice as the 916.

1998 Yz 400. The bike that started the 4 stroke mx revolution.
Great list. I'd prefer to see the Black Shadow on there instead of the 23 BMW, while the BMW was important to BMW, the VBS changed biking quite a bit.

I think that a current 'most impact' bikes list should include either the Brammo or the Zero (whichever was first), first practical electric production street bikes. Its coming, and its extremely significant in the evolution of our sport.
Nytelyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #51
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
Can't believe this thread made it 3 pages without a mention of this....

The Harley Davidson XR 750

Evel Knievel's weapon of choice, and debatably the best dirt track bike ever made.

Yeah, I forgot that one in my list. Definitely a milestone in motorcycle racing. Purdy too.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
How 'bout a 500GP bike with an 18 year career and a bunch of wins and championships?

1933-1951 Moto Guzzi Bicilindrica.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #53
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Lots of a great bikes mentioned, I'm gonna go with the DT1 Yamaha.
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #54
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 468
I hope you don't mind if i add my opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Additional thoughts/counter thoughts on the excellent list:(in bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyh
1909 Harley -Harley's first production v twin - no argument.same as BMW i think.
1923 BMW R32- BMW's first boxer powered motorcycle. Significant for BMW?
1938 triumph speed twin, variations of this engine was used in Triumphs until the 70s - no argument..this wasn't the first parallel twin in triumph's history, but it was so popular that most competitors copied the layout.
1957 Harley Sportster - no objection, but a reaction to the above Triumphs.
Honda super cub 1958-? The most produced motor vehicle in history with what was probably the most iconic motorsports advertising campaign of all time - this bike enabled more people to ride than any other bike, maybe all bikes combined. It helped transform economies and nations. agreed
1969 Honda cb 750-the first inline 4 Sportbike -no objection, but see below.
1973 Yamaha monoshock, started the long travel mx revolution. - agreed.
1980 BMW gs- the first big adventure touring bike? True.
1984-2000 Harley big twins- The evolution powered bikes changed Harley into the giant that it is today and may be the most iconic bikes ever - these were the first reliable Harley's, and also the bikes that made Harley more of a fashion accessory than a riders ride.
1985 gsxr 750- The first modern sport bike - true.
1994 Ducati 916- Every Sportbike designed since is just trying to look as nice as the 916 - if they only could look as nice. Ducati itself cannot or chooses not to duplicate this bike in looks or raw basic elemental design.
1998 Yz 400. The bike that started the 4 stroke mx revolution - true, I guess. Not up on modern MX'ers.
i think i would add the Vincent Black Shadow as it set the record for fastest production motorcycle of 201 km/h in 1949 as was not bettered until 1973. Pretty good considering they ended production in 1955.

-- the Brit bike was in deep entropy and already given its notice with bikes like the Honda CB450 or Suzuki 500 Titan, X6, etc. The CB750 was just the final coffin nails.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #55
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 540
Many significant bikes are already mentioned but why not 1975 Yamaha XT 500?
I think it should be nominated especially on the AdvRider.com.

Other not-yet-nominated:
1985 Suzuki RG500 Gamma
1988 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
2009 BMW S1000RR.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan from Finland screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 01:22 PM
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #56
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 213
Wow, it wasn't until post 29 that someone mentioned a Ducati. they were fabled machines in Louisiana but I never recalled seeing one until I left the state. They were like unicorns.

I would offer the Hodaka Super Rat or Combat Wombat. They ushered in accessible dirtbike racing and for a time were the top winningest dirtbikes in production until the majors swamped them.

I too am a fan of the BSA Victor 441 but that was also riding at an age that brothers and dad were doing the maintenance so my picture of that bike may be unrealistically rosy.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #57
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Honda Super Cub

Introduced in 1958, it has evolved but the basic concept is unchanged. There have been developments and variants, but Cub of today still looks pretty much as it did half a century ago. Sturdy, versatile and reliable, it remains the affordable motor vehicle of choice for millions in Asia, and others around the world.

http://world.honda.com/SuperCub/#

The first motorcycle I rode was the CT90 "trail" variant of the Cub, back in 1996. Right now I am riding a 1997 Dream 100 (with 217,000 km on the odometer) which was the mid '80s incarnation. I guess the Wave was supposed to supersede that, but the Dream soldiered on with some development. It has now been replaced in the market with the slightly retro styled..... 110i 2013 Honda Cub.

Mostly variations on the Cub theme here

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 09:09 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #58
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,075
I'll have to go with the iconic Honda Super Cub as THE most significant. Like may others, I started with riding one.

I wish I could afford one today...

--Bill
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #59
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Introduced in 1958, it has evolved but the basic concept is unchanged. There have been developments and variants, but Cub of today still looks pretty much as it did half a century ago. Sturdy, versatile and reliable, it remains the affordable motor vehicle of choice for millions in Asia, and others around the world.

http://world.honda.com/SuperCub/#

The first motorcycle I rode was the CT90 "trail" variant of the Cub, back in 1996. Right now I am riding a 1997 Dream 100 (with 217,000 km on the odometer) which was the mid '80s incarnation. I guess the Wave was supposed to supersede that, but the Dream soldiered on with some development. It has now been replaced in the market with the slightly retro styled..... 110i 2013 Honda Cub.

Mostly variations on the Cub theme here

Without question, the impact of this machine changed motorcycling in the west, and transformed society in the east.

Mobility for the masses. Quite something when you think about it.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #60
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 465
Wow! Talk about something subject to a vast array of opinions! There are no wrong answers here and I've found it very interesting to read over the posts. It really depends upon your background/history with bikes.

I've been involved with motorcycles since 1970 when I got my first 4 HP Sears mini bike (I like that "lawnmower powered mini bike" someone suggested since it was an entry level for many of us). I have been involved in MX and off-road racing since 1976, so my answers may be skewed more in that direction somewhat, but I cannot argue with the one bike that many have mentioned, the 1969 Honda CB750. I remember what bikes were prior to the release of this bike. Never before had aesthetics, performance and reliability all come together in one place. This was indeed a benchmark in the motorcycle industry. It truly did change things.

Next, I've seen the Harley XR750 mentioned and we all (of my generation) idolized Evel Knievel back in the day, who rode one. Not to mention that the XR750 was the sport of dirt track. However, I'll never forget when Yamaha put Kenny Roberts on the TZ750 in the mid-1970's. His quote: "They don't pay me enough to ride this thing" coming from arguably the best rider of the time. Needless to say, it was so fast that the Harleys didn't stand a chance. It's pretty impressive that the AMA stepped in and banned them. I remember that this was a very polarizing decision since many viewed it as an attempt to protect a brand instead of a valid reason (safety, etc.). Still, in the grand scheme of things, it was a neat machine.

I've also seen the 1998 YZ400F mentioned as a game changer. I disagree. Not trying to take away the glory of this bike (I had a '99 400F and an '01 426F), but this bike was more of the end result and not the one that changed everything. That would go back a year before to the 1997 YZM400F. Yamaha used a little known loophole in the production based rule that AMA had imposed back in the mid-1980's and produced a real, honest to goodness factory works bike. I used to drool over these bikes back in the day since it was engineering/R&D in it's purest form. These bikes were not the clean, polished so-called factory bikes we see today with all their new plastic, anodized billet bling... these had sand-cast unpainted parts and were not really what you call "pretty". The were pure function and a test bed for the manufacturers. It was also a portal into the future since a lot of these trick parts would trickle down to the production machines a year or two down the road (if they worked). The YZM was no exception and it worked. It was also probably one of the most influential machines ever produced. It single-handedly changed the face of MX. Before it, four strokes were a novelty, yet today, the two stroke has assumed that role.

Last, but not least on my list, would be the tried and true 1987 KLR650. When released, I don't think anyone had the idea of the impact of this machine... and the fact that it really hasn't changed in 26 years other than BNG and a "face lift" in 2008. Underneath, it's the same machine. There is no such thing as the perfect, do-it-all bike... there will always have to be concessions. What works well on the street does not necessarily do well in the dirt. The KLR probably came the closest of any machine. Though my '08 model wasn't really dirt enough for me, I did have a friend who rode one close to 100 miles on the highway/interstate to an enduro, then ran the enduro on it and did better than I did on my race bike (which may not be saying much about my abilities). I know there are those that will say that there are better choices for an adventure/dual sport bike (GS, etc.) but the dollar-for-dollar value of the machine may be it's best asset.

Those are just my opinions!

Greg