Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #91
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
In the 1980 USGP at Carlsbad , Danny Chandler ran the only-stroke in the open class. Always wondered what it was. I thought it was a Honda though. Was the HL motor a one off or is it a modified TT500 motor?
Original race bikes used highly modified XT500 engines. Yamaha made 400 factory replicas for sale and they used stock XT500 engines. More history at http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-b...el-1979-hl-500.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan from Finland screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 11:11 AM
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #92
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland View Post
Original race bikes used highly modified XT500 engines. Yamaha made 400 factory replicas for sale and they used stock XT500 engines. More history at http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-b...el-1979-hl-500.
Cool website for classic MX stuff. Thanks.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #93
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 189
Honda 750 Four (the grand daddy of mass production superbikes)
Kawasaki GPz1100 (the grand daddy of the mass production sportbikes)
Kawasaki 500/750 Triple (the grand daddy of "hold my beer" speed/power category)
Honda Goldwing + GL1800 (the grand daddy, the bloodline, and the reigning king of ultimate touring bike class)
BMW "R" series motorcycles (the grand-daddies of functional motorcycles for the masses)

"Our founding fathers would be shooting by now..."
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #94
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
I'd say at the top of the list for all, is the 69 Honda CB750. Because it changed SO many facets of motorcycling:
High performance
Reasonable cost
Reliability
Serviceability
Adaptability
Features (disc brakes, electric starting, etc).

But I feel it is the bike, because it brought all these aspects together in a package SO many riders could afford, modify and really enjoy.
This is why it should be #1 on the list

1969 - Imagine coming back from a run and not having to tighten bolts, or maybe go back and look for that muffler that vibrated off.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #95
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
BMW "R" series motorcycles (the grand-daddies of functional motorcycles for the masses)
You realize there are a bunch of other motorcycles that were sold in much higher quantities than any R-bike ever was, don't you?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #96
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
You realize there are a bunch of other motorcycles that were sold in much higher quantities than any R-bike ever was, don't you?
Yup - I do. My reasons for the nomination are:
- solid reliability
- easy to maintain/shaft drive
- good ergos
- "configurability"
- good performance/handling

ergo --> they are preverbal ridable mile eating anvils.

There may be other brands that sold in higher quantities, but I bet the aggregate R-bike miles are higher - both from a individual bike as well as total across the group. Hence my nomination in the "functional" category. 15 year old R-bikes can respectfully be discussed as "low miles" if they have < 100k miles...

"Our founding fathers would be shooting by now..."
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #97
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
Honda 750 Four (the grand daddy of mass production superbikes)
Kawasaki GPz1100 (the grand daddy of the mass production sportbikes)
Kawasaki 500/750 Triple (the grand daddy of "hold my beer" speed/power category)
Honda Goldwing + GL1800 (the grand daddy, the bloodline, and the reigning king of ultimate touring bike class)
I agree with a lot of this but this may be the first time I've ever seen someone refer to a BMW motorcycle as being "for the masses." If I were going to pick a motorcycle for most significance in the category of functional motorcycle for the masses, it would have to be the Honda Super Cub, no question.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #98
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
- 1 for the KLR. IMHO, nothing should be considered great because it doesn't do anything well - certainly on the same list for "most significant of all time"
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 10:02 AM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #99
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
- 1 for the KLR. IMHO, nothing should be considered great because it doesn't do anything well - certainly on the same list for "most significant of all time"
klr probalby doesn't belong on the list, however I disagree with your statement. a KLR does everything good to well and nothing great. few other bikes are as versatile and as affordable.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #100
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
klr probalby doesn't belong on the list, however I disagree with your statement. a KLR does everything good to well and nothing great. few other bikes are as versatile and as affordable.
I will agree with you that few bikes are as versatile..... heh.... that's about it. We could go around in circles for weeks about this and neither one of us would be more correct I think.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #101
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Tz 750

Yamaha TZ 750, any bike that is too much bike for King Kenny has to be on the list.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #102
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Talking

Gee, all these bikes listed and not a single vote for one of the most significant bikes, the Velocette KTT series?

KTT MK I - positive stop foot change gearbox and an engine with high RPM, narrow power band. Basically the prototype for all modern motorcycles.

KTT MK VIII - just to have to include this one, one of the best looking race bikes ever, swing arm suspension that actually worked, magnesium bits on the factory bikes, gas charged shocks (on the factory bikes), and very successful on track. All this in the late 1930's! This bike was even raced postwar with some success.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #103
Effervescent
Sexiest ADVrider '13

Oddometer: 1,797
The first Vespa.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #104
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Yamaha TZ 750, any bike that is too much bike for King Kenny has to be on the list.
He thought the TZ750 flat-tracker was too much [ on dirt ] , not the roadracer. The 80s 500s were faster. The most recent 500s were 200 HP.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #105
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,913
My definition of "significant" (which the OP left open to interpretation, so I think for most folks it's just another version of "favorite, "best", etc.) is the fundamental impact it had on the industry. I don't know enough about real old bikes that pioneered some technology first, but let's say there are 6 of them, whatever they were, up through the 1965 or so. For the remaining 6 I'd chose:

1) 1967 Yamaha DT1- for making the genre broad base affordable and reliable
2) 1969 Honda CB750- for all the known reasons
3) 1972 H-D Superglide- something has to function as the seminal cruiser: after all, they are 50% of the US market. So I'd nominate this because it's considered the first factory custom.
4) 1980 Honda Gold Wing GL1100- first Japanese/mass market bike outfitted as a touring bike from the factory that demonstrated that "touring bikes" could be their own market segment (case could be made for the original 1974 GL1000)
5) 1980 Ducati Pantah 500SL- Without this bike (specifically the engine design) there would be no Ducati as we know it today. And nothing for the rest to catch up to.
6) 1985 Suzuki GSX-R750, a reset on sport biking that has been the design model ever since.

Honorary mention to early Yamaha production racers (RD/TZs from 250-750)-- quantities of quality race bikes for the masses certainly had an impact.

In reviewing this list I'm really struck that they're all "old" bikes. There's probably a few new bikes I'm not thinking of, but I'm really struggling to think of ones that aren't some variation or logical extension of the 6 I named.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote