Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
The Agility and Typhoon are both all over Beijing ... I know a few guys with the Typhoon and they love them ..... But in that same price point in China 12000 rmb or 1700 US dollars ... I love the Peugeot ... The vivacity and the sixties .... Rock solid ...not sure if they are available in the US....
Kernalpanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernalpanx View Post
The Agility and Typhoon are both all over Beijing ... I know a few guys with the Typhoon and they love them ..... But in that same price point in China 12000 rmb or 1700 US dollars ... I love the Peugeot ... The vivacity and the sixties .... Rock solid ...not sure if they are available in the US....
Unfortunately we don't get Peugeot here in the USA. It would be cool if we did as they make some pretty cool scoots. Plus it seems they have a slightly better reputation then the Italian brands. Probably not much difference now days but a few years ago it was a pretty good sized difference.

I did spot a Peugeot scooter on the road here a few years ago. It was a late model larger displacement model but I can't recall the model. I found it odd as it was never officially imported. I asked some scooter and motorcycle friends about it and I was just not seeing things as they have seen it as well. Somehow someone managed to get one in.

Good to hear the Typhoon is well liked in China. I am a tad nervous about it but I am sure it will be a great scooter.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Unfortunately we don't get Peugeot here in the USA. It would be cool if we did as they make some pretty cool scoots. Plus it seems they have a slightly better reputation then the Italian brands. Probably not much difference now days but a few years ago it was a pretty good sized difference.

I did spot a Peugeot scooter on the road here a few years ago. It was a late model larger displacement model but I can't recall the model. I found it odd as it was never officially imported. I asked some scooter and motorcycle friends about it and I was just not seeing things as they have seen it as well. Somehow someone managed to get one in.

Good to hear the Typhoon is well liked in China. I am a tad nervous about it but I am sure it will be a great scooter.
Export quality will be better then what the guys here in China get ...... That is the other thing buying and living here ... My Benelli has an export quality version and a local quality version. You can see the difference in the plastics and seat materials... Not so sure about all the parts as everything seems the same. The Keeway is the other branding my Benelli is under .....they have also limited the engine speed on the Benelli to 120 kmh .... Most highway speeds are 90 near anyways ....
Kernalpanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Latest inquiry at the dealer is showing Tuesday or Wednesday at the very latest.

I may be doing a 2 Fer. The dealer I do business with is actually pulling Kymco and they are giving all the Kymco's away. I got a cash price on an Agility 125 that is so low its worth it even if I don't need it. Really sweet deal and no freight and no setup. Just a giveaway price plus tax and license is all.

The Agility 125 may end up being my winter hack scooter as the price of entry on the Typhoon 125 is almost double and I would rather trash the cheaper one.
is this cycle barn? i need to pay them a visit!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
is this cycle barn? i need to pay them a visit!
Yeah its them. If I dare say it my OTD price was $2,078! This everything out the door including our high sales tax. A few out there have done better but usually in lower tax areas.

The deal is done for both bikes. I test road the Agility 125 and I was actually very impressed with how it ran. It feels faster then my Zuma 125. Maybe not as smooth but it felt faster and it only had 3 kilometers on it. So if the Agility 125 is like just about all my other scooters it will only improve during break in.

Despite the Agility's small stature it actually feels just fine when you ride it. Its really fairly roomy little scoot. It does feel cramped on the show room floor but on the road in the proper riding position its got plenty of room. In fact I would say its got more room then my Zuma 125.

They warned me that the carburetion on these was fairly spotty when cold so I should let it warm up a bit. Of coarse me being a bit impatient I pretty much started it and after about 10 seconds road off. It is a bit choppy but nothing compared to some other carbed bikes I have owned in the past. In fact its not as cold blooded as my SportCity 250 witch is fuel injected. I did get some hesitation when pulling away from a stop the first few blocks but it quickly cleared out and ran smooth the rest of the test ride. I am sure the warm day helped and I can expect more drama when its cold out but overall its just your typical carburated bike.

I thought the ride quality and handling were very good. Its not as abrupt over bumps like the Zuma 125 but its obvious the tires on the Agility are not the best. Granted these are still brand new with the glaze on them. I actually drifted straight in a scary fashion the first turn I went around. However after a few miles grip really improved. I agree turn in a tad slow with these tires but they don't seem all that bad. Granted they are not great but I expect them to improve in the first 100 miles.

Overall I was impressed with the Agility 125 during my test ride. Impressed enough to buy it without second thought. Fit and finish is adequate but its obvious the Agility 125 is built to a certain price point. However it does not feel so cheap like its going to break. Actually when going over rough patches of pavement it feels very solid without any rattly plastic. I am sure being brand new helps and the real test will be if it feels the same with much more miles on it but at least its solid in the beginning.

I would say at its price point the Agility 125 is a better bargain then the Zuma 125. Zuma 125 is a Japanese designed bike backed by a major Japanese player. Fit and Finish on the Zuma 125 is far superior. Just looking at the details on the Zuma 125 its very obvious its well put together. Performance is very adequate on the Zuma 125 as well.

Really its a toss up between the 2. If you got the extra $1,800 the Zuma 125 will provide great service and likely outlast the Agility 125 (maybe). However for the price the Agility 125 is just an awesome scooter.

On to the Typhoon 125. This one had just come off the truck and was in the process of having its PDI. SO I could not ride it. I did get a good look at it unfortunately it has a small amount of shipping damage on the fly screen. Nothing really serious just a few minor scratches that could likely be buffed out with a plastic polish. However they are getting it replaced under warranty. Also interestingly the horn did not work. So they also ordered a new horn under warranty. They seem pretty convinced its the actual horn part and not the switch.

The rest of looks very good and man that Titanium finish with military graphics is just cool. Overall fit and finish was better then expected except for the standard issue Piaggio switch gear. Dang this thing is just cool! You really need to see it in person to really appreciate just how cool it is.

It did start right up. It took 3 cranks because the carb had to be primed but other then that it fired right up. Like any carbureted bike it appears to be a tad cold blooded but its to be expected.

I am looking forward to riding them more and saying more about it. They are being delivered tomorrow morning.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

dude, you need to open your own show floor and/or rental!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,006
I got my 2012 Zuma 125 for $3016 OTD last December. They already had the 2013 models on the floor, and were trying to clear the 2012 models out of the warehouse. I got the last one. It is white. I plan to get the matte black body panels, or wait and get the 2014 orange panels. I expect the Zuma will easily outlast me, even at full throttle, where it gets ridden 90% of the time. It is a great non freeway touring scooter.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #23
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Longhaul-

you've got me all jazzed up now about as much as you are- hurry up and get that thing and get some pictures of it.

Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun for the money!

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I got my 2012 Zuma 125 for $3016 OTD last December. They already had the 2013 models on the floor, and were trying to clear the 2012 models out of the warehouse. I got the last one. It is white. I plan to get the matte black body panels, or wait and get the 2014 orange panels. I expect the Zuma will easily outlast me, even at full throttle, where it gets ridden 90% of the time. It is a great non freeway touring scooter.
You did pretty good price wise on the Zuma. I kind of wish I would have waited but all I could find at the time was new 2013's and since it was May the dealerships were high on confidence. So I had to pay. I still consider my deal all things considering pretty good but not as good as it could have been.

Little did I know the other Yamaha dealer in the area (Ride Motorsports) bought a bunch of old stock from a dealer that went out of business. So about a month after I bought mine they had several left over 2012's. They had them on sale for $2,499 plus freight and setup. Since this dealer buy's direct and does its own assembly and prep most of the time they go easy on the fees. If memory serves it was $2,499 + $195 freight and prep + $150 doc fee (can be waived if you work it) + $100 licensing give or take + $248 sales tax gives an OTD of $3,192 but if you really work them you can probably get it for $3,042. This is about $800 less then I paid but owe well. Every scooter I buy pays for itself eventually this one will just take a few months longer.

Anyways the scooters are scheduled to arrive mid morning to around noonish at the latest. Really want to take the Typhoon 125 out for a round of errands as soon as I get it. However first I will put my own coat of wax on it and Plexus the clear plastic bits and shoot a photo or 2.

If time permits I will top off the gas tanks so I can begin getting an accurate read on the MPG's. Every dealer I deal with on the planet seems to only give you a half tank of gas. Even on scooters. I used to think they were being cheap but I later found out its the hand pump thing they use. It only squirts about a 10th of a gallon if that at a time so it would take a long time to completely fill a motorcycle tank.

Also right away I will likely add a bit of TCW3 oil to the gas and K100MG fuel stabilizer and conditioner. I got so many bikes I have to keep the fuel stabilized at all times. I really got to many bikes and I think over the winter I am going to get rid of some. However with the exception of my Reflex I don't plan to get rid of any of the scoots.

Let me see if I can itemize...Crap I can't even remember what I got

01 Honda Reflex 250
03 Suzuki SV1000N (naked)
03 Suzuki SV1000S (sport fairing)
04 Honda Silverwing
05 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
05 Yamaha Majesty
05 Kawasaki KLR 650
06 Kawasaki Concours
06 Kawasaki Ninja 500
09 Kawaski KLX250S
09 Aprilia Sportcity 250
10 Honda SH150i
10 Honda Elite 110 (technically my wifes bike)
11 Honda PCX 125
12 Piaggio Typhoon 125
13 Yamaha Zuma 125
13 Kymco Agility 125
14 Piaggio Fly 150

Gosh I am sick!

But its a lot of fun
Old 08-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I got them delivered clean and polished. Need to shoot some photo's tomorrow as I am out of time.

I took the Typhoon for my rounds and this thing is just Awesome! Power delivery is very smooth and its reasonably fast. Since it only has 20 miles on it now I expect it to only get better.

Handling is also very good and the suspension is well tuned. I also found the seat very comfortable. Something noted in an online review and I can vouch for that.

Fit and finish issues is not much. Everything works except the horn. You get a little toot out of it but that is it. So it would seem the switch is fine. I did find some info online that the horn has a set screw and if you cycle the horn while you loosen the set screw it will start working as it should. This problem is extremely common on the China built 125's from Piaggio regardless of division. If the horn was not so berried I would try to fix it myself but they have a new horn on order anyway.

Also the scratches in the Fly Screen disappeared when I polished it. However I am getting a new one of those as well.

Engine starts quickly but in order to get it to actually fire you have to give the throttle a slight twist. I believe this characteristic is common to the Leader 125 carbed engines. It may also be one of those things that improves with age. Once running its no longer cold blooded as far as I can tell. It helps that its a warm day I am sure.

Overall this thing is just killer. I get a lot of looks when I stop at traffic lights etc.

One other interesting fact is the speedometer is actually Miles dominate and the mileage counter looks to be set for miles as well. Very interesting Piaggio changed it just for this model of bike but I am not complaining. Also no kickstand at least on the US model and same for the kick start. I could have sworn I have seen these items on the Typhoon 125's but maybe not.

I did not get a chance to ride the Agility today but I am on it first thing tomorrow. Both bikes are actually topped off completely this time so I can get a good read on my MPG. However I expect that first tank to be a bit of a disappointment on both bikes. It takes at least a few hundred miles for everything to seat in enough for optimum fuel economy.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,006
I was told by one dealer that the only reason they only give you a little gas is because they are only allowed to keep a certain amount of gas stored on the property, something about fire regulations. I'm sure my homeowners insurance company would not be happy to know that I have 3 scooters in my living room with nearly full tanks, though I don't know why. My garage is part of the house, and I have 2 cars and 2 motorcycles in there with gas in them.

The gas mileage on my Zuma never changed. It started out at 70 mpg, and 24,000 miles later it is still 70 mpg. It's very easy to keep track of, it has a one gallon tank. Fill it up, and 70 miles later it sputters to a stop. I figure it would get at least 80 mpg, if I had real gas instead of that ethanol crap.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

if you ever decide to sell one of those sv's...
Old 08-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
DudeClone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
thread is awesome. enjoying it immensely, looking forward to more

i like the fact these two scooters are so close in size and design and style. the Typhoon of course is upmarket from the Agility but they do the same thing essentially. so this is interesting

i'd like a Typhoon myself if i don't get another Agility. and i have read the engine is a robust one. good top end i have read

nice to get good deals, too. i paid $1600OTD for my '09 Agility 3 years and nearly 17,000 MILES ago. has needed not one repair, period. just regular maintenance. tires, brakes, belt, rollers, clutch, muffler, air filter, bulbs, battery, fuse, oil changes, plug or two. and even then its neglected somewhat

thats what i call getting my monies worth. hell after the first year i felt like that!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
longhaul747 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Took the Agility 125 out this morning for a round of errands. This scooter is breaking in nicely and I expect things to improve as time goes on. I find the Agility 125 fairly quick for its class. It feels quicker then the Typhoon 125 at least in the city environment however i am pretty sure the Typhoon 125 is overall faster. Time will tell as I ride them more often and they get fully broken in.

Also I find the engine in the Agility 125 is less busy then the Typhoon. However for the record the Typhoon 125 is very smooth. However its obvious getting on them back to back that the Typhoon 125 is more high strung. The Typhoon 125 does weigh a lot more and is a little bigger scooter so that may have something to do with it as well.

Handling on the Agility 125 is pretty good. However the tires are not exactly confidence inspiring and even with 40 miles on it now they still like to slip and slide a bit in the turns. It could be that I put to much air in the tires. When I checked both bikes this morning they were all down to about 20 PSI. So I aired them up to about 32F and 34R. This is a tad more then recommended but usually its not much of a problem and they will settle down to normal in a weeks time anyway.

No handling issues whatsoever on the Typhoon 125 even with a bit of extra air in the tires.

So far its a toss up witch one I like best. Like children they are all my best. However I feel as of right now that the Agility 125 is plenty quick and has plenty of refinement to get the job done. Overall for day to day ops I feel the Agility 125 is the most civilized of the 2. However the Typhoon 125 is sure a nice looking scoot and its just a hoot to ride. Being a scooter its pretty civilized as well but does not seem as gentlemanly as the Agility 125 if that makes any sense.

Price point compared to price point the Agility 125 all the way. Its so affordable you really don't need to worry about it.

I did get another ride in on the Typhoon 125 today. In fact I took it on some of the back roads east of Brier towards Kenmore for some Chinese food. It got a lot of looks in the parking lot and one guy asked me how I liked it? I said it was brand new but so far its a lot of fun!

I took a few pictures as I was preparing them this morning.

Hopefully as these threads go on I can get some adventure pictures but I am just not one of those camera happy people.

Notice the speedometer is miles dominate!!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,088
You are making me want to run to the Aprilia dealer to trade my SR in and grab a Typhoon. I love that bike and there are hop up parts for that engine as well.

Does the Agility have an actual oil filter?

As far as the comments on quality, the Agility just doesn't do it for me. Modern Japanese bikes barely "do it" for me either although the design and refinement are always high up on the scale.

The Agility looks almost like a Tonka toy next to the Typhoon. Not really discussing if it accomplishes its mission with alacrity or not.