User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Nice!

I really like the look of the Typhoon. Not sure I manage the decals, but I like the color, and the whole scooter looks like a quality piece. I know the Agility is a solid scooter.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
You are making me want to run to the Aprilia dealer to trade my SR in and grab a Typhoon. I love that bike and there are hop up parts for that engine as well.

Does the Agility have an actual oil filter?

As far as the comments on quality, the Agility just doesn't do it for me. Modern Japanese bikes barely "do it" for me either although the design and refinement are always high up on the scale.

The Agility looks almost like a Tonka toy next to the Typhoon. Not really discussing if it accomplishes its mission with alacrity or not.
Not to wet your appetite but the Typhoon 125 is more fun then a barrel of monkey's. It has exceeded my expectations in almost every way so far. It should run circles and be a lot more bike then your SR.

I am pretty sure the Agility 125 has your standard issue GY6 Honda engineered engine in it. These don't have an oil filter but an oil screen. Most of the time though this is a non issue as long as you change the oil every 1,000 miles or so and after the engine gets really broken in you can probably stretch it a bit further then that. These motors are known to last a long time. At least the ones built by the proper companies. Many Chinese GY6 engines just don't hold up because of metallurgy issues.

The Agility is actually far more scooter then it looks show. It is definitely a purpose built machine strictly for low cost ownership. Because of this its lacking a bit in the thrills department compared to say the Typhoon 125. It does not seem as bad as your typical Japanese scoot though!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #33
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I really like the look of the Typhoon. Not sure I manage the decals, but I like the color, and the whole scooter looks like a quality piece. I know the Agility is a solid scooter.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Most if not all the decals can be peeled off. I may do just that in time because some of them are a bit much. All I really care about is the star on the front end and the Typhoon written on the back.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #34
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,081
They are getting to be a bit much with the decals. Not sure who they are trying to attract. I think it is a white current color scheme that has neon green and pink stars!? Gross.

Local dealer has a 2012 all black with no stickers... part of a stealthy diet.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #35
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
They are getting to be a bit much with the decals. Not sure who they are trying to attract. I think it is a white current color scheme that has neon green and pink stars!? Gross.

Local dealer has a 2012 all black with no stickers... part of a stealthy diet.
My guess is they are trying to attract the youth market. I have seen those decals on a few white Typhoons and yeah its kind of gross!

Not sure what year they offered that white one? This years white is actually a lot more conservative as is the black.

I was at my dealer yesterday picking up a crush washer for the final drives and oil filter for the Typhoon so I can do my traditional early oil change. They were so impressed with the Typhoon 125 they ordered a white one for the sales floor. Hopefully its the 2013 white scheme!

Looks like no riding today. Thunderstorms rolling through the area and I have to go to a wedding tonight
Old 08-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #36
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
wedding, you say?

well, nothing says black tie like a black or white Vespa 300. could it be next? could it be!!??

doubtful. but showing up on an Agility or a mini-military scoot like the Typhoon just won't do! oh well, thunderstorms are good a reason as any to take four wheels

good pics of your new scoots, i must say. nice and clear and i really like that Piaggio!!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
i wanna see that typhoon tearing up canyon park!!

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #38
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Weddings weddings weddings I hate weddings

Next morning

Anyways the weather was not as bad as yesterday as they said it was going to be. I did some running around the Agility 125 and then swapped it for the Zuma 125. First time riding these bikes back to back.

Best way to describe it is comparing Diet Coke to Regular Coke. If you drink it regularly Diet seems just fine. The Agility being the Diet Coke. Getting the Zuma 125 its pretty immediate witch one is built to a higher standard. Fit and finish on the Zuma 125 is leagues ahead and so is the smoothness of the engine. Its not that the Agility is rough in fact on its own it feels plenty smooth but hop on a Zuma and its a lot smoother.

Power delivery the Agility feels quicker both in acceleration and probably to end as well. Its not a huge difference and the Zuma would never be left for dead but Agility seems faster. It could also be just because the Zuma is more refined so it feels slower then it really is. One of these days I will have to drag race one or the other.

Were it counts things are bit more close. Seat comfort its a toss up between the Zuma and the Agility. However I give the slight edge to the Agility. The seat just seems thicker and more padding but the padding is more soft. I think Yamaha actually got the seat dialed in rather closely on the Zuma. I would need to ride each scooter for several hours to find out witch one ends up being more stressful on the bottom but none of these scooters are really designed for such lengthy use. My guess is after sitting in the seat for several hours your toosh will be sore on both bikes. However for in town use both seats are perfectly up to the task.

Ride quality on the Agility is softer and I feel the suspension is better tuned. The Zuma handles well but I find the ride to be rather harsh and abrupt at times. Sometimes I wonder if the suspension is doing much suspending at all on the Zuma. The Suspension on the Agility just seems more compliant where it counts. Off road though the suspension on the Zuma will likely really shine.

As far as overall grip in the turns the Zuma winds hands down. I think the Agility is perfectly capable of keeping up with a Zuma but the stock tires just don't grip well and the crown is not very aggressive so this limits the amount of lean available. The Zuma has 400 miles on it now and the Agility only about 50 so I hope the tires improve with a bit more mileage on them but from what I have read they never really improve that much. I will likely just live with them but when time comes to replace them I will choose something else.

Also was able to get a third ride in on my KLX250S. I had to fuel it up and stop in Woodinville for a wedding card. No comparison here so no bother. I did get 74 MPG on my last tank though. So its not just scooters that can achieve good fuel economy but you can just forget practicality on the KLX.

This morning I road the Fly 150. No comparison. This is one refined and smooth plus quick scooter. I just love that 3V motor. One thing I noticed is the Fly is slow off the line but once spooled up its got a lot of kick!

Not much new on the Typhoon. Tonight its KLR650 then tomorrow morning SH150i and then maybe tomorrow evening I can get on the Typhoon. What I really need to do is get the DL1000 V-Strom out of storage and do some maintenance on it and inspections for the fall riding season.

Believe it or not a hint of Fall is already in the air here. I have a feeling summer will be ending early this year. Since i got so many bikes I have already started fueling with the winter doses of stabilizer and increased the dosage of TCW3. Damn I wish I could get ethanol free in my area but the few stations that had it no longer have it. I am not so sure its a crisis now with the advanced made for ethanol fuel stabilizers. Last time I fueled up my KLR was April 7th and it still runs like I just filled it. As long as you use the stabilizers even the ethanol laced fuel will last plenty long enough!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #39
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

how often do you use the stabilizer?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
how often do you use the stabilizer?
Unless I am on a trip I pretty much use it every tank. I use either K100MG or Biobor EB. Both specialized fuel stabilizers.

http://www.biobor.com/products/biobo...uel-additives/

http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/mm5...tore_Code=KFTO

They also condition the fuel and this is all it does with smaller doses. However double the dose and they will both keep fuel stabilized for up to a year. Biobor claims 2 years.

Both are perfectly safe for the fuel systems. In fact they can help add a bit of lubing properties back to the fuel witch is good for the top end and the fuel pump. Modern bikes really don't need this but it does not hurt.

2oz per 5 gallons of TCW3 added to the same mix also adds lubing properties to the fuel and keeps the gas tank from rusting.

During the summer I go with 1 oz of TCW3 and the fuel conditioning doses of the fuel stabilizer. I like K100MG a little better but its $$$ and the yields stink. Its $9.95 for 20 gallons worth of stabilizer but it works great. Biobor EB treats 10 times as much in the same dosage and its $15-$20 for a bottle that treats 256 gallons I believe.

For TCW3 (2 Stroke oil for outboard and watercooled engines) just go to wall mart and for $13 you can get a gallon and it last forever.

Try a little bit of TCW3 in your next tank and I think you will notice a small difference in how it runs and it keeps the ethanol laced fuel fresh a lot longer as it has its own fuel stabilizing properties as well.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

thanks! i haven't been using any fuel stabilizer, but i'll give it a shot.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #42
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
thanks! i haven't been using any fuel stabilizer, but i'll give it a shot.
You can get the K100MG at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville but the best price is on Amazon.

I got my bottle of Biobor on Amazon as well. Not sure if anyone sells it locally!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #43
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Glad I went for the 2013 Agility 125 and not waited for the 2014. Finely after years of production they maid BIG a change....to the COLOR!

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/sco...125/index.html

It seems to offer some small changes that make it look a little less cheap. It looks like the fly screen and the front fender are now painted. Also I believe the orange color is new. Kymco must agree with Yamaha that orange will be the next great color of choice for scooters. It does look cool on the 2014 Zuma 125 but not so much on the Agility.

I think the biggest ugliness is the new graphics. Just way overdone in my opinion. I like the more conservative look of the previous Agility 125's.

Maybe they will look better in person?

So far I don't see any other changes. Its the same scoot as it has always been and I like that. Sort of the VW Beetle of the scooter world. They also held the price witch is totally cool. I have a feeling by the time we get to 2014 $1,899 is going to be next to nothing with inflation being the way it is. Heck I can't visit the grocery store without spending $100 on almost nothing. This scooter is only about 19 worthless trips to the grocery store before tax and license. Pretty darn amazing and its a solid running scoot. By the time you factor in the fuel savings really its shocking the world is not full of Agility 125's by now.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #44
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
ugh

the paint scheme / graphics are lousy. scooter riders tend to be older, even riders of entry level scoots. this won't appeal. i would look at a Lance PCH if it were next to one of those Agility things in the showroom

i like the "K" and the "Kymco" on the floorboard, but thats it. i took the "racing stripe" off the front of my leg shield because i didn't like it, imagine what i think of that thing?

there has been a NEW Agility in other markets for YEARS now. they should have brought it over already, most likely never will. at least for awhile. would be far better then this "update." it also gets a "naked" handlebar version, posted below

Old 08-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
ugh

the paint scheme / graphics are lousy. scooter riders tend to be older, even riders of entry level scoots. this won't appeal. i would look at a Lance PCH if it were next to one of those Agility things in the showroom

i like the "K" and the "Kymco" on the floorboard, but thats it. i took the "racing stripe" off the front of my leg shield because i didn't like it, imagine what i think of that thing?

there has been a NEW Agility in other markets for YEARS now. they should have brought it over already, most likely never will. at least for awhile. would be far better then this "update." it also gets a "naked" handlebar version, posted below

The updated Agility looks pretty good and more rugged looking. Now days I really don't understand with the world being as small as it is why we have to have vastly different versions of the same bike? If they updated the Agility for Asian and European markets why does it take so long to introduce the update here? The cost of manufacturing so many versions must out way whatever is saved by keeping the same old design going.

The update in my opinion seems to fall in line with what we expect from Kymco now days. Its still obviously a bargain based and built scooter but it seems to hide the cheapness factor a little better. I would like to see it here eventually. Don't get me wrong the current Agility is awesome and an incredible bargain. However if Kymco is already doing better in this class we should not be stuck with the old version forever.

I guess it makes me feel better that Kymco is not the only one that does this. The big 4 out of Japan do it all the time and probably a few of the European brands as well. Still does not make sense to me though!

Not much new to report. Yesterday I was on my SH150i. The SH150i is a very refined and quick scooter. However it also cost more then double. I would say its not double the fun though!

Today I took my KLR over to Storage and grabbed my DL1000. Took it to Duvall WA to meet a friend for lunch then back home. Tomorrow I will dump the coolant and replace then change the oil.

Tonight I am on the PCX125 for a dinner run but hopefully tomorrow I am back on one or two of the other 3 (Fly 150, Typhoon 125 or Agility 125). Just way to many bikes.