Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #61
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
holy cow you're on a roll, man!!

your "rotation" is stouter then the L.A Dodgers pitching staff. must cut down nicely on service intervals :)

holy smokes
Yeah people ask me if the maintenance kills me? I say NO as it actually spreads things out so much none of them need anything major very often. About the biggest expense is oil. I used to use Rotella or Delo 400 synthetic and 7 or 8 gallons would do the trick at $160 give or take a few. However the recent LE formula's make me a tad nervous that its no longer the best oil we can use. I know several use it without issue but I noticed issues with the newer formula's of HDEO oils. So I switched to Texas Tea oil back when I could get it on Amazon for $34 a case. However it snow balled recently to $59 a case. So for my last order I went for Amsoil. I am good for the next 12 months but this set me back $380. I used to be an Amsoil dealer selling it to all my motorcycle buddies back when it was $4.65 a quart but I stopped dealing with it when the price went through the roof. Of coarse so did everybody else.

For the Italian bikes I bought a case of Motul 5W-40 scooter oil for $89 on ebay. This is less then half compared to what the dealers charge. 12 bottles should last me clear into the end of next year.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #62
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,148
How do you deal with insurance?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #63
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Is there something wrong with Rotella? I've been using it in both my SYM HD 200 and my Suzuki DR 650.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #64
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
How do you deal with insurance?
All bikes have a profile with the insurance company but not all are insured at the same time. I can simply call the insurance company and with 24 hour notice I can have full insurance on that bike. Since many of my bikes are seasonal Some go a few months without any insurance. Occasionally I will take them out without insurance but not very often. Mostly when I decide or need a certain bike and I am lazy to call the insurance company. Insurance is not required in WA but smart to have.

Some are just dirt cheap. Most of the scooters are like $84 to $120 a year. Its the 1 liter bikes that can get a bit pricy. I think my SV's are the highest at about $350 a year each.

Quote:
Is there something wrong with Rotella? I've been using it in both my SYM HD 200 and my Suzuki DR 650.
As far as protecting the engine no not really. However the latest formula's don't seem to hold up as well and shifting goes to pot pretty fast. Also the LE (Low Emissions) formula's have less Zinc in them and this is not exactly good either in theory but it depends on the engine design.

Also I was told by a prominent oil engineer that the HDEO oils are not for high RPM usage and don't have the proper anti foaming additives for high RPM use. However I don't really believe it makes any difference!

Rotella is actually JASO-MA rated so in theory its officially fine to work in a motorcycle. I just recently stopped because of poor shifting after 1,000 miles. I recently switched back to regular and expensive motorcycle oil and so far I like it better. It is bloody expensive though!

I may go back and I had pretty good luck with Delo 400 LE 5W-40 Synthetic when I tried it. Seemed to shift better for longer then the Rotella Synthetic.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #65
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,410
http://www.pqiamerica.com/May%202013...datedhdeo.html

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #66
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Spent the day on the Agility 125. The more I ride this scoot the more I am impressed with it. The engine is smooth and its pretty bloody quick for a 125 and fast as well. Pretty impressive since it only has like 60 miles on it now.

Still not digging the tires. Hopefully they improve as they get more broken in but I took a turn fast and I damn near bit it. I can't explain it but it seems to have some sort of handling quirk and you don't have much if any feed back at a certain speed and lean and it feels like it could get scary in a hurry. The best way to describe it is it feels like its trying to force the steering into the turn like a car instead of doing a natural counter steer. I don't think the stock tires are a good match for the geometry of the scooter. Perhaps being 5' 11" and 220 lbs exaggerates the affect? Its not super bad if you are aware of it and you force the counter steer but I can see this being a problem for a newer rider.

I aired up the tires a bit and usually this is not a problem but I think I will lower them back to normal and see if that helps? I think they are only 2 or 3 lbs over though so not a huge difference.

Other then this minor handling quark it takes everything I throw at it. Even climbs a very steep hill at 35 MPH no problem. Granted its pinned but both my Zuma 125 and my PCX 125 can only manage about 30 MPH up the same hill. Luckily the speed limit is only 30 MPH but its nice to see the Agility 125 have a bit of power left in reserve.

The most comparable scooter to the Agility 125 is the Zuma 125. The Zuma is a bit smoother and more refined. However for some reason my Zuma 125 feels a tad bit slow. I don't think anything is wrong but sometimes I feel the Zuma 125 has a hard time getting out of its own way at speeds 30 MPH and up. It gets up to almost 60 MPH in time but its definitely not as quick as the Agility 125. I have not compared specs but it feels like perhaps the Zuma 125 is heavier then the Agility yet perhaps similar HP ratings. I know the Zuma 125 is plenty fast if you pin the throttle but in economy riding mode it just seems like the Agility 125 requires less effort to get the same job done. A lot of this could be how each bike is set up..etc more then anything else!

Also maybe the Zuma requires a longer break in time? Its only got about 400 miles on it and from what I hear they really loosen up once they get close to a 1,000 miles on them.

Tomorrow morning I am picking up the SportCity 125 and will likely have fun with that. After riding the SportCity 125 I plan to get on the Typhoon 125...finely!

I hope to do a little comparison between the SportCity 125 and the Typhoon 125. They should be pretty comparable but I have a feeling I might find a few differences.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #67
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

Tomorrow morning I am picking up the SportCity 125 and will likely have fun with that. After riding the SportCity 125 I plan to get on the Typhoon 125...finely!

I hope to do a little comparison between the SportCity 125 and the Typhoon 125. They should be pretty comparable but I have a feeling I might find a few differences.
Will be interested to hear your thoughts on a comparo between these 2.
I looked at buying the Aprilia instead of the Typhoon.
They both looked identical in specs other than wheels and bodywork.
Bought the Piaggio mainly because it was $700 cheaper.

Keep up the good work , Scooter testing
Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #68
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Picked up the SportCity 125 this morning. Kind of an odd creature and I am a bit surprised. It could be because its brand spanking new and things just need to seat in but I found it painfully slow on take off. In the flats it would spool up to 50 MPH with plenty to spare but climbing hills (not even steep ones) was a slow affair. For the first time in my scooter riding life I had to pull to the side and let vehicles pass. It felt like I was on a 50cc 4-Stroke scooter. One hill was kind of long and but not really that steep except for the very top with a speed limit of 35 MPH. I hit the hill going 40 MPH then it drifted down to 35 MPH then 30, 25 and people behind me started to get impatient so I moved to the right on the shoulder to let them by. Just before I crested the hill it was pinned and I was doing 15 MPH. As soon as I got to the top of the hill it quickly reached 40 + MPH with plenty of throttle to spare.

Now hopefully it is just brand spanking new as it only had 1.9 miles when I picked it up and now has about 10 miles on it. When I got home I detailed it myself and aired up the tires. The rear was down to 20 PSI and the front 15 PSI. So maybe I was getting a lot of drag from the tires this combined with being new belts and drive gear is making it not run its best.

I have noticed that the Typhoon 125 is also a bit high strung but nothing like this. Typhoon seems to get around just fine in all conditions I have tried so far.

Hopefully it just needs to break in a bit.

Only fit and finish issue is it stalled on me a few times coming home. Seems to be idling a bit slow so I need to figure out how to turn up the idle. It seems to stay running when you are stopped but as you come to a rolling stop and the transmission sort of disingages it wants to stall and did a few times. Sometimes it does not. Might just need another 50 to 100 RPM's of idle to keep that from happening. Also sometimes they just run a little wierd until the break in even just a little bit. So if I can't figure out the idle it may go away on its own but if not I will stop by the shop in a few days and have them tweak the idle.

Have not had a chance to test the handling as the tires are brand new and were low on air. I did not notice any quirks and that is good!

I took a quick photo as I am on the run. My Fly 150 3V on the left and you can see part of my Majesty on the right. I ended up parking the SportCity 125 and took the Fly 150 for my rounds as I need a bit more storage for what I am doing today. On my way back from what I am doing I plan to get on the Typhoon 125.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #69
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Personally, I would return it to the dealer and ask for my money back. Performance is clearly faulty and unacceptable. You might ride another, a demo with a few miles on it just to see if there is any noticeable difference in performance. If not, do as I originally suggested. I mean, why would you want to keep such a dud?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #70
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
Personally, I would return it to the dealer and ask for my money back. Performance is clearly faulty and unacceptable. You might ride another, a demo with a few miles on it just to see if there is any noticeable difference in performance. If not, do as I originally suggested. I mean, why would you want to keep such a dud?
I think I need to give it a few days and put about 100 miles on it before I come to such a conclusion. My Zuma 125 was a pretty big disappointment the first time I got on it. On the Zuma after I aired up the tires and gave it 20 or 30 miles for the belt and final drive gear to break in it loosened up nicely. The Zuma 125 is still a bit of a dog compared to some of the other 125's in my fleet but the initial break in was dramatic. Some scooters for whatever reason even those of the same make and model may behave differently in those first few miles.

My guess is by design they gave it a bit to much top end. It certainly seems fast as it reached 50 MPH with plenty of throttle to spare. Problem is required a flat road to get there and its not exactly quick doing it. Hills so far don't seem to be its forte.

Things may improve after the first few times it gets ridden.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #71
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Well...things that make you go HMM!!!

Took the Fly 150 out and went up that same hill the SportCity 125 really struggled on and it took it in stride at 40 MPH with a little bit of power in reserve. Since I was curious I swapped for the Typhoon 125. The difference in power between the Typhoon and the SportCity is readily apparent the moment I left my complex. The Typhoon was able to climb that same hill at 35 MPH. It was pinned at the steepest part at the top but did manage to maintain the speed limit.

Not really sure why the SportCity 125 struggled so much. Hopefully when it gets 50 miles (what the Typhoon now has) it will no longer be a problem.

Really impressed with the Typhoon. It seems as high strung (resident rpm) as the SportCity 125 but seems to actually have the ability to move. Its almost like the SportCity 125 is stuck in a higher gear ratio. Given time it will do 50 MPH and likely more but up hills it just about gave up.

I am reasonably confident that airing up the tires and putting just a few short miles on it will improve things considerably but maybe not. Every scooter I have ever bought ran like poo the first 20 miles or so. The glazing on the belt needs to rub off before they run right.

In fact on my Agility the 1st test ride I gave it gas and it did not move. Tried again and it finely started to grip but only slightly. It was fine though by the time I left the parking lot.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #72
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
those scoots are looking sharp!!

hmm...as you well know a 125's forte is not hill climbing, but they can do it at more then 15mph!! i understand some engines are more robust then others but i have a feeling "break-in" will see you more power. so far as that goes with a 125 scoot. even if not as stout as the Typhoon or Agility

no surprise the Fly 150 took the hill in stride. 150cc, fuel injected....vroom
Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #73
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
those scoots are looking sharp!!

hmm...as you well know a 125's forte is not hill climbing, but they can do it at more then 15mph!! i understand some engines are more robust then others but i have a feeling "break-in" will see you more power. so far as that goes with a 125 scoot. even if not as stout as the Typhoon or Agility

no surprise the Fly 150 took the hill in stride. 150cc, fuel injected....vroom
Hopefully with a fewl more miles on the SportCity 125 it loosens up. Really it should run much the same as the Typhoon 125. In fact it should run a little stronger because it feels lighter then the Typhoon.

I have read online on other forums that for some odd reason the Typhoon runs faster and feels like it has more power then the SportCity 125 but nobody could explain exactly why. I don't know maybe the taller tires has something to do with it?

I am really curious now so I plan to cruise around tomorrow on the SportCity and see if it does start to run stronger.

Tonight with 70 miles on the Typhoon I decided to dump the factory fill. However Piaggio conveniently placed the drain plug behind the exhaust pipe. So my 24MM socket would not fit. So at 8PM I ran to Sears and picked up a 1/2 drive extension and if that does not work I picked up a 24MM wrench. However all they had is 12 Point wrenches so hopefully its not on there super tight.

Also next ride on the Agility 125 it will get its oil changed. Picked up a quart of Honda 10W-40 regular dino oil for that scoot.

Will also do final drives in the Agility and the Typhoon once they get about 100 miles on them. Next services will be at the shop.

As soon as I get 60 to 70 miles and 100 miles on the SportCity it will get the same treatment. Its kind of a waist of time and oil now days but it makes me feel better doing it. Plus you never know what you get until you just do it.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #74
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,376
Laugh

I think the bigger heavier wheels may have the sport city bogged down a bit.

Should break in an run much better. My SR was a dog at first. After the first hundred miles or so it gained a lot of power.... or should I say, efficiency.

I think I would not want so many bikes. I can understand multiple roles covered by a few but this here is having the same tool by different brands.

If you want to make any good deals selling one of them, I will ride it back to Vegas.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #75
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Longhaul- This is none of my business, but I have to ask- you seem to keep buying 125cc scooters but you also have the Fly 150 3v.

Is there something sorely lacking with the Fly that the others do better? Seems like based on specs it sort of the best bang for the buck small scooter out there.....what am I missing?

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote