Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #76
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Longhaul- This is none of my business, but I have to ask- you seem to keep buying 125cc scooters but you also have the Fly 150 3v.

Is there something sorely lacking with the Fly that the others do better? Seems like based on specs it sort of the best bang for the buck small scooter out there.....what am I missing?
He's suffering from a really bad case of MBS

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #77
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Longhaul- This is none of my business, but I have to ask- you seem to keep buying 125cc scooters but you also have the Fly 150 3v.

Is there something sorely lacking with the Fly that the others do better? Seems like based on specs it sort of the best bang for the buck small scooter out there.....what am I missing?
Yeah MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) Mostly and having fun!

No logic in it

Out of all my scooters if I can only have one I would pick.....hmm!

The PCX 125 in my case or the now sold PCX 150!

You get Japanese refinement with Japanese reliability. The engine is the smoothest of the bunch and its the quickest as well. Handling it can keep up with the best of them however Honda did a good job of keeping it mushy so it does lack some entertainment value compared to some other brands outside of Japan. Fuel economy it beats anything else in its class as well and some outside of its class. I average 94 to 100 MPG and have gotten a creepy good 119 MPG before.

Next runner up is the Fly 150 3V. Its highly practical and at a better price point. Performance is very good and the fuel economy is about the best so far out of Italy. Its fit and finish does not match the Japanese but its only because the Japanese do such an amazing job. Its pretty well put together.

I think the Italian's get ripped for product support and parts supply. I learned yesterday that it could be month(s) before my replacement horn and replacement fly screen come in for the Typhoon. If the parts are in the warehouse they get them inside of a week but if they have to come from Italy it takes a while. This is not except able product support in my opinion. It does not bother me so much because I can still ride it and my Fly Screen is no longer scratched but still.... 2 months for a horn?

Hopefully this is not the case and the parts come sooner. I believe in some states depending on the nature of the repair they have 30 days to correct the problem. Especially a safety issue witch a broken horn may qualify for.

I otherwise like the scooter and have no plans to take further action but um yeah....again 2 months for a horn?

I may move to plan B. Pull the inner part of the fairing myself and try and loosen the set screw for the horn. Apparently this works 9 out of 10 times and just forget dealing with the warranty case.

Anyways here shortly I plan to head out on the SportCity 125. Hopefully it runs with more authority today then yesterday. I also need to stop by the selling dealer since I did not get the manual for it (I saw it when we took it out of the crate plastic wrapped with the battery along with the certificate of origin and what not). If its still stalling when coming to a stop when the clutch disengages I will have them bump the idle up a tad as well.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #78
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Thanks for the input- That little PCX seems to be getting rave reviews all over the place. I appreciate all your updates. You seem to be a one man scooter review, so I enjoy getting your comparisons between the different models.

Your 2 month wait for a horn from Piaggio doesn't seem to be a rare case. I guess that's one of the considerations that has to be factored in when going with certain brands. Seems like Honda and Kymco have that distribution thing figured out. Piaggio, maybe not so much.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #79
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the input- That little PCX seems to be getting rave reviews all over the place. I appreciate all your updates. You seem to be a one man scooter review, so I enjoy getting your comparisons between the different models.

Your 2 month wait for a horn from Piaggio doesn't seem to be a rare case. I guess that's one of the considerations that has to be factored in when going with certain brands. Seems like Honda and Kymco have that distribution thing figured out. Piaggio, maybe not so much.
The PCX is truly a great scooter. Probably the best one of the bunch in its category!

I kind of went into it knowing parts may be a problem. So I just have to except it. Apparently the parts always come even very odd parts but it can take a while. Its very true that they wait until they have a full shipping container to bring them in to save cost. Its a joke that is wide and known among the Piaggio product dealers.

Anyways took the SportCity 125 out. GOOD NEWS!

With just 24 miles on the clock it is now running as it should and on my return from the dealer I climbed the hill it strugged on yesterday at 34 MPH. So apparently it was just the initial break in it needed and maybe some air in the tires.

Also the problem with the engine wanting to stall when coming to a stop seems to have vanished far now. However it still wanted to stall when applying throttle and if you give it more gas it will just die. I felt the idle was a tad low so I had the dealer bump it up a tad anyway since it seems my Typhoon has a higher idle and not any fueling issues. Seems to have solved the off idle hesitation bumping the idle up a tad.

Dealer said these go through a pretty amazing break in and things will change for the better. More power and speed is sure to come as the miles pile on. Also whatever spotty carb issues will work itself out. He showed me the idle screw location and he said I may have to turn it down wants it gets broken in some.

Still taking it easy in the turns but it is a nice handling scooter. Also the smooth and taller tires are less draggy so I suspect in time the SportCity should be faster and perhaps offer better MPG over the Typhoon but time will tell.

As I was pulling them out of the garage I parked them next to one another. This may actually be a rare shot as some bikes get stored down at the storage facility a 1/2 mile away.

Up next I am about to take the Typhoon out for a lunch run and then when I get back I am going to change the oil on it. Agility will get done tomorrow!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #80
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,222
Both are nice looking bikes. The Typhoon looks "ruff".
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #81
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
I'd like to hear how all these scooters handle curves. My Super 8 handles like a dream but runs out of clearance way too early when leaned over in a curve. I know that these scooters are still new but when you have had the chance to really evaluate their handling I'd like to hear your opinion.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #82
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'd like to hear how all these scooters handle curves. My Super 8 handles like a dream but runs out of clearance way too early when leaned over in a curve. I know that these scooters are still new but when you have had the chance to really evaluate their handling I'd like to hear your opinion.
We got a pretty cool road called "High Bridge Road" that is not far away and not that fast because of the turns. Its loaded with police on the weekends and sport bikes going all out on that road. However mid week its pretty quiet and the police no that so they stay away. I sometimes take this road out to Duvall when meeting friends. I will probably wait until I have a few hundred miles on them at least before hitting that road.

For a scooter I imagine they do pretty well. However I am not that far from the edge of the tires already and I have been taking it easy. I have feeling the limiting factor is not the lean angle but the conservative crown on the tire witch most scooters have.

Changed the oil in the Typhoon today. Other then being surprisingly dark in color but the oil looked good. When draining the filter the slightest amount of glitter came out of it. Refilled with Motul 5W-40 oil.

It was a real PITA getting the oil filter and drain plug off. I actually chewed up the drain plug a tad. Next "Do It Myself" oil change I will likely replace it. The problem is I can't get my 24MM socket with a breaker bar on there because the muffler is in the way. So I had to use a wrench. Filter was on there pretty good as well and anybody who knows about Piaggio filters know they can be tricky. I have a special tool but it does not work well either if its put on by he-man.

I think what happens is they assemble these motors dry. Then they sit in a crate for who knows how long. Then the motor gets heat cycled the first several times its ridden before the first oil change. That sort of fuses the filter and the drain plug in place making it a PITA to remove. If you tighten it just enough to keep it from leaking and falling off along with a coat of oil on the threads and sealing washer it will be smooth as butter taking it off the next time.

I would say like the Fly 150 it was not really necessary to change the oil at 80 miles but did not hurt. I think its cheap insurance though just in case something is wrong.

The final drive is next. That one is a 6MM Allen bolt and its berried behind the transmission. Because of the smaller wheels on the Typhoon you really don't have much space to work with. Looks like taking off the rear wheel requires the muffler to be dropped. So I can't do that. I am going to pick up a 12" extension with the swivel tips and a 6MM Allen socket and see if that does the trick. Like the engine oil drain bolt its probably on there a lot tighter then it needs to be. After the 1st service the future ones will be a lot easier. If for some reason I can't get to to it I will save it for the shop at 600 miles. I do want it done at least once and preferably twice before 1,500 miles though. After that its good for almost the life of the bike or 5 years just for the warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #83
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
It was a real PITA getting the oil filter and drain plug off. I actually chewed up the drain plug a tad. Next "Do It Myself" oil change I will likely replace it. The problem is I can't get my 24MM socket with a breaker bar on there because the muffler is in the way. So I had to use a wrench.
The muffler is supposed to be removed for this procedure.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #84
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
The muffler is supposed to be removed for this procedure.

That might be what the shop manual calls for but its not very practical thing to have to futz with just for an oil change. Even worse the Typhoon seems to not have a quick disconnect just for the muffler portion as seen on other Piaggio products. It looks like you have to remove the whole thing from the studs on the head witch are berried. If you can get the bike high up on a lift it might not be difficult but it looks pretty difficult if you don't have a lift.

The good news is a good 24MM wrench and the special filter tool is all that is really needed. I suggest a 6 point wrench just to protect the bolt but this is only for the first removal. After that it should be a lot easier to remove.

Tonight at Sears I picked up a 12" 1/4 inch drive extension and a 6MM Allen head. In a few days I hope to tackle the final drive. Should be pretty easy sailing once I get the bolt busted loose. I have an extra crush washer just for the task.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #85
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Changed the oil on the Agility 125 today. Compared to the Typhoon 125 it was a piece of cake and the drain plug came right out. Oil was a tad dark but otherwise looked fine. Very little metallic sheen in the oil and the filter screen had absolutely no contamination. Its my opinion that Kymco did an excellent job on the fit and finish plus the overall refinement of the motor. Pretty amazing considering its budget status.

I have had more garbage show up in Honda filter screens and more metallic sheen in the oil on the first changes on Honda's then I got with the Kymco.

Also I am curious who actually makes those little filter screens for Kymco? All my Honda's that have them they look like they were assembled by someone drinking to much Saki. However the strainer screen on the Kymco was very nicely assembled in comparison. Not that it matters but something I noticed!

I also picked up a 1/4" 12" extension to service the final drive on the Typhoon but I have not gotten around to it yet.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #86
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Have done about 200 kilometres on mine so far.
Seems to go better and better with each kilometre traveled
Pulls up the steep roads around Hobart a lot better than a 125 should.
Even did a short bit of dirt road today , and had no troubles.

If I had to pick one thing that could be better (so far), it would be the front forks.
The rebound dampening is too fast , on larger bumps it rebounds quickly and tops out the forks.
Something to look into come servicing time , maybe some slightly heavier fork oil.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #87
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Took the SportCity 125 out for some rounds today. Now at 50 miles its really breaking in nicely. It now actually feels a tad faster then the Typhoon because the dual sport tires on the Typhoon are more draggy. Otherwise they are much the same. I think the SportCity 125 is a few pounds lighter as well but have not compared specs.

One difference I noticed is the carburetion on the SportCity 125 is a bit more spotty. Not sure what the real difference is? The Typhoon actually runs rather well. You can fire it up and ride away without much drama and it smooths out completely a mile down the road. The SportCity 125 on the other hand will just bog down on you if you ride away too soon. Oddly it will smooth out but then a few miles down the road if you get stopped at a traffic light it will just want to die when you want to take off. The trick is not to give it to much gas or it will die on you. Once it warms up its a non issue except a slight hesitation off idle but it seems to clear up after 10 miles or so. Perhaps a really long warm up time is needed?

Next time I am at the selling dealer for the Typhoon I am going to ask them if they did anything to the carb during prep? If so I would like them to do the same thing to the SportCity 125 if they did. The selling dealer for the SportCity said the minor gremlins with the carb usually smooths out during break in. I kind of expect the same for the Typhoon but it seems to run better out of the box.

Handling wise both are good. I still have not wrapped out either bike in the twisties but from what I can tell again the dual sport tires on the Typhoon are a bit of a handicap. So far the SportCity 125 seems to be more confidence inspiring in the turns.

I am actually still out and plan to work it a bit on my way back home. A short 2 mile stretch of some halfway decent roads in east Brier into Snohomish Co on my way back to Canyon Park.

So far I think they are great scoots. Even better the SportCity 125's are going for steep discounts right now. In markets with less tax and less licensing fees you can probably get one out the door for well under $2K. Typhoons are more rare it seems and they don't seem as discounted but I bet Piaggio will dump the warehouse soon if not already to purge the inventory.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #88
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Your Sport City carburetor is set way too lean. Probably in order to meet CARB standards. I'd take it to an indie shop that knows scooters and have them pull all the smog stuff off and reset the carburetor.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #89
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
Your Sport City carburetor is set way too lean. Probably in order to meet CARB standards. I'd take it to an indie shop that knows scooters and have them pull all the smog stuff off and reset the carburetor.
That is kind of what I am thinking as well. It comes lean from the factory to meet CARB standards. Interestingly I expect the same thing from the Typhoon 125 but not so. Either Piaggio has figured out a way to make them meet CARB standards and run better out of the box or my selling dealer who sold me the Typhoon set the mixture screw a bit more rich to prevent operational issues. I heard some dealers do this but they are not really supposed to do it.

The dealer who sold me the SportCity 125 said they usually smooth out after they break in but if not they can set a mixture screw underneath the carb and cure the problem. However they did not seem really enthusiastic about doing it. I don't think they are supposed to do it here either but the state that is really strict is California. I actually recently read that a few dealers down in California got huge finds for tweaking the bikes so they run better. Probably just acting in the best interest of the customer but California did not like it one bit.

Once it gets good and warm its not really an issue but before that point its kind of spotty and possibly a minor safety issue. I expect the problem to get worse requiring longer warm ups as the fall season sets in.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #90
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
The screws are sealed and you are right, a dealer is not supposed to do it; however, someone versed in modifications can do it easily. And probably reset the needle also.

Is your Typhoon fuel injected by any chance? If so, that would account for the smooth starting and running vs. the gas-starved Sport City.