Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #106
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Finely was able to pull out the Typhoon 125 and SportCity 125 for a quick run. It had been a month since either one had been ran. First I took a 3 week vacation to Europe then came home to some serious weather that grounded even the most seasoned riders. Finely got a break this afternoon and was able to run them up. My primary concern was the carbs running dry and being a PITA to start. I am using a bit of TCW3 oil and a high quality stabilizer so I am not concerned about gumming up the carbs just drying out and being a pain to start. Some bikes can sit a long time and fire right up but others its like waking the dead. I am happy to report both scooters fired up on first crank and despite the ambient temperature being in the mid 50's they actually ran really good out of the gate with little warm up time. It seems the jetting may in fact be set up for cooler riding and not warmer riding. Even the SportCity 125 ran without drama out of the gate and its the picky one.

Hopefully our break in the weather holds so I can run the Agility 125 tonight. Not sure if its going to be drama free or not. I also hope we get more breaks in the weather this fall and winter and I can ride as much as possible. The cost savings is pretty huge. Since getting back I have filled up both my cars and already burned through most of that gas. It cost over $100 just to keep the cars going. For some stuff I need the cars but for 80% of what I do any bike will do and the more economical the bike the more $$ in my pocket. During May-Aug I was spending about $20 per month on fuel and now all of a sudden I am spending $400 average on fuel if the weather does not break.

As it looks right now we are quickly heading for another deluge!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #107
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Took the Typhoon out and ran over to the selling dealer to inquire about the broken horn that is to be replaced under warranty? The new horn did in fact come in and they tried contacting me a few times but I was in Europe so I never got the calls or messages. Being October they were not really busy and they just went ahead and replaced the horn today. Kudos to Lynnwood Vespa/Triumph for the fast service. New horn works great and sadly needed!

While waiting I took out a Factory Demo Triumph Tiger 800. It is a really nice bike but a bit out of reach. My trades did not help much in the equation. Was not really serious at this time anyway. I am looking to reduce the fleet but kind of waiting for just the right bike to come along.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #108
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
The only dealers nearby, as in the next town 25 miles away, are Suzuki/Kawasaki and Honda/Yamaha. Of course they sell Honda and Suzuki scooters but they won't touch anything else. 90 miles away is Tucson and a dealer there (Scoot Over) sells Kymco and Genuine, and they always have a couple of slightly used SYM's and some other used brands. They claim they are not a SYM dealer but they will service them and they do stock some parts.

Oddly, they also sell Royal Enfield motorcycles. I'm currently lusting after the new Royal Enfield Continental cafe racer - in red, of course - and it will be soon released for sale here in the US. If you haven't seen one, google it.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #109
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

It has been a while since I updated this thread.

Took the SportCity 125 and Typhoon 125 out of winter storage and they seemed to have survived winter untouched. Only issue over the winter is we had an extended cold streak and the unheated storage unit down the street turned into meat locker for an extended amount of time. Despite keeping the standard lead acid batteries trickle charged the one in the Typhoon 125 shorted out. Likely more from improper dealer prep then the cold but I am sure it did not help. Probably could have warrantied the battery but I just took the opportunity and replaced the old school battery in both bikes with a Scorpion AGM battery. Scorpion is the only manufacture that makes an AGM battery in the size needed. I prefer Yuasa but so far the Scorpion's are working great and I get faster cranking with the AGM's.

One thing that amazed me is despite the cold blooded nature of these bikes and being carbureted they both fired up on first crank. Other then the need for a slightly longer warm up they ran like they were ran yesterday.

I should indicate that I actually pulled them out of storage last week. Today I ran the rest of the gas out and filled with fresh fuel. Looks like both bikes are now averaging 61 MPG now witch is a slight improvement from when they were brand new. I expect it to be even better once it gets warmer during the summer and no stabilized fuel sitting all winter. However for a 125cc scooter this is not exactly great fuel economy. Yeah its better then just about any car on the road still but not great. Sure would be interesting where the extra fuel is going?

Today I also took the Agility 125 out of storage. No issues with the battery as it was tendered over the winter. It took about 3 cranks getting it going witch is not all that bad. However it was a picky beast and it took a long time of just idling away before it would go and run smoothly. At first it would just die but slowly it wanted to play a little more. Once up and running all is well.

Also noticed that the clock on the Agility is no longer working. Not sure what that is all about and I really don't need it. In fact I don't think I even set it. Its either a loose connection in the dash or it just went tits up. Next time I am at the dealer I will mention it and probably get them to look at it. Its still under warranty for 16 months.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #110
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Looks like both bikes are now averaging 61 MPG now witch is a slight improvement from when they were brand new. I expect it to be even better once it gets warmer during the summer and no stabilized fuel sitting all winter. However for a 125cc scooter this is not exactly great fuel economy. Yeah its better then just about any car on the road still but not great. Sure would be interesting where the extra fuel is going?
The Leader 125 is not exactly an mpg champion. You are getting slightly better fuel economy than I did with my Vespa ET4 with the 150 version of the same engine. The fuel injected bikes are slightly better, but not much.