User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
1985 Nighthawk 700s Adventure conversion

I have had my 1985 blue/black 700s for some years now and love riding it. Last year I started doing more touring using my Triumph Sprint ST.....and a lovely bike that is. I have been reading about adventure biking and have been seeing a lot of adventure bikes around. I decided I wanted to do some ADV riding. I looked on craigslist for bikes and found the following: There are two kinds of ADV bikes... 1. Street bikes converted to allow dirt riding, and 2. dirt bikes that can be ridden in the street. In the first category are the V Stroms, the Bimmer f800, 1200, 1100, etc, Triumph Tiger, etc. In the second category are the Honda XL600, 650s, Yamaha XT600, Suzuki DL, and KTM, etc. The first category has an entry level of about $4000. U just cant play in that group for under that, with exceptions (I saw a DL650 on CL for $1999 today!) The second category has a entry level of about $1000. I looked into buying a nice 80s XL or XT. I then went to a local mcycle store and sat on some dual sport bikes and clearly decided that the first category was my preference. I just didnt want to shell out thousands.

I have had people comment that my NH looks like a dirt bike. Normally this offends me but I noticed that the XL,XT variants do sort of resemble the NH S...square headlight, small fairing, long rakish forks, etc. I decided that I would convert my Nighthawk to adventure bike riding with the idea that i would keep all original parts and be able to restore it back to original.

I already had two brothers muffler, headers, jetted carbs, fork gators, highway pegs and engine crash bars on the bike. Here is a pic:

My goal was make it an adventure bike by adding luggage capacity, dual sport tires, and a bash plate, taller windscreen and other adventure stuff. I remembered that I had a luggage rack in my garage. I sanded and painted it flat black and installed it on the bike. I also found an unused Shad 40 liter rear top case. I used the adaptor that came with it and mounted the case to the rack. I was just the right size for the bike. I had some V strom handguards and I added those. I also mounted a Cortech tank bag to the tank. here is the result

I realized that finding 16 inch dual sport tires was very very difficult. I decided to get better sized wheels. I could have fitted an entire front end of another bike and machined all sorts of things and fitted a rear wheel. But i wanted to keep it simple and cheap. I needed a 17 or 18 inch wheel for the front. I discovered that an 18 inch wheel from an 85 Sabre fits on the bike with no modifications using the Nighthawk axle. The calipers fit on the Nighthawk rotors which are the same as the Sabre rotors. The wheel bearings are the same too and the width of the rim is the same as the Nighthawk - 2.5 inches. The spoke pattern is also the similar but I was not too concerned about appearance too much.

I had a center stand kicking about in the garage so i added that as well to make it much easier to work on the bike.

Tomorrow I will fit an 18 in dual sport tire. I am also looking at getting a mid 80s rear wheel so i can fit a 17 inch DS tire in the back.
IBA #54915
DeusExMaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
That is a beautiful bike. Just like the '70s CB's that are getting cut up for the cafe craze, I do wish if you wanted an adventure bike you would just buy one and leave that poor thing alone.

Bet you will have fun tho, whatever you do! ;)

Btw I always did think those 16" front wheels were just about useless. What about a 19" front 17" rear? Now that would be the best of both worlds.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 884
I'm with troy on this, i think the nighthawk s is the best looking of all Honda in line 4's ( and i was in love with a 81 750 for many years and miles) you have a mint example that survived being chopped, bobbed, and café ed don't follow the recent trend and adventure ize it.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Flyboy52219
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I had the same bike (1984) from 1986 - 1991. Loved that bike. Anxious to see how yours morphs into an adventure bike
Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
everready
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatortroy View Post
that is a beautiful bike. Just like the '70s cb's that are getting cut up for the cafe craze, i do wish if you wanted an adventure bike you would just buy one and leave that poor thing alone.
+1
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

Shinko 705 tires mounted on the rims

Raised the fender 1". I borrowed a rough-looking blue 700s fender I had laying around. Ill make it look nicer.

Added cortech tail bag and saddlebags. Sabre rear wheel/tire is not on yet since its being worked on.

IBA #54915
Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Very good indeed!
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

fiberglass and plexiglass windscreen

I have seen the selection of windscreens out there. I have a hard time justifying plunking down $150 plus for a piece of plexiglass, but I understand people need to make a living. I wanted to have a windscreen that is not too large to withstand the vigors off mild off road riding. After reading about others making homemade windscreens, i decided to give it a whirl.

After a bit of experimenting with cardboard shapes, I decided build the windscreen in the following manner:

I would use the windscreen on my bike as the shape for a lower fiberglass piece which would be the exact shape and contours of the existing windscreen. I used some damp cardboard and tape to position and extra piece above the windscreen by about two inches. By laying fiberglass on this mold, it forms the base for the windshield. I would then get a piece of plexiglass and bolt it to the base. Here are some pics to demonstrate my plan.

First pic shows cardboard base taped to underside of windscreen to provide a lip:
[img width=450 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/DeusExMaxima/20130809_184226_zpsbea02a2e.jpg[/img]

Second pic shows painters tape to cover cardboard and to form the mold:
[img width=450 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/DeusExMaxima/20130809_184629_zps2ea750df.jpg[/img]

Third pic show fiberglass pieces cut to general shape:
[img width=450 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/DeusExMaxima/20130809_185326_zps4c72f7c9.jpg[/img]

Fourth pic shows red outline of where clear plexiglass will go, yellow shows outline of proposed fiberglass base:
[img width=450 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/DeusExMaxima/3ffd8373-1ccc-413a-a498-9dbf2ab97476_zpsa204b0e5.jpg[/img]

Tomorrow I plan to mix the resin and apply it to two layers of fiberglass. After it hardens, I will trim it to shape and sand it smooth. When the base is done I will get a piece of plexiglass and bolt it to the base. The base will stick to the original shield using strong velcro.
IBA #54915
Old 08-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

I laid down two layers of fiberglass. The resin is curing now. here are two pics:

[img width=450 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/DeusExMaxima/20130810_110901_zps3c388019.jpg[/img]

[img width=450 height=600]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/DeusExMaxima/20130810_110855_zps943d0dd0.jpg[/img]
IBA #54915
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
It is looking pretty good. I like your vision for your bike. Modify away, they made a bunch of these models, no need to keep it stock. (I also noted where you said you would be able to return it to stock if you wanted. Maybe those who commented to you on not changing the bike didn't read that part ).
Old 08-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
It is looking pretty good. I like your vision for your bike. Modify away, they made a bunch of these models, no need to keep it stock. (I also noted where you said you would be able to return it to stock if you wanted. Maybe those who commented to you on not changing the bike didn't read that part ).
Thanks Thumper. i think you are right. I can return it to stock very quickly although I really enjoy the bigger wheels.

Here is the base of the windscreen trimmed and taped to the bike to see the effect.

The wind is noticably less on my torso with most of it directed to my helmet. When i ride with my feet on the pegs, i dont feel like a parachute any more. When I attach the clear piece, I will probably be completely off my helmet. I do still feel it on my shoulders but thats ok.
IBA #54915
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 477
Nice. What type of fork gaiters are you running?
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
Nice. What type of fork gaiters are you running?
Thanks. I forgot the name but they are torn on the backside. Im probably going to find a universal rubber accordion type gator.

EDIT: They are called Sealsavers....www.sealsavers.com
IBA #54915

DeusExMaxima screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 06:24 PM
Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

Made mock up

I got a piece of .080" Lexan and shaped it with a curve on top. I did a mock up my holding it in place to see how it would look.

Its about 10" higher than factory screen and it angles up more to direct wind over the riders head.
IBA #54915
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
DeusExMaxima OP
Adventurer

With some machining I got the rear Sabre rim mounted and made a spacer to make up for the narrower Sabre drum.

IBA #54915