Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
That bike might have a sleeping disorder.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
Brit/Man II
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Thumb What's wrong with British :-)

Hallo from a Brit in Germany.
Had my baby since 2008 and have now done 100,000 km with her, look over this,it's been going longer,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103

Have fun by for now
JOE
Oh yes I get around 325 km for about 17lt benz
just see that the oil's OK and she will keep on runing
I did have this problem,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654963

but that was more the workshop then the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1derer View Post
As I was weighing my options for price vs return for a heavy weight I cam across the Triumph Tiger which seems to be an excellent value. I wasn't able to find much on high millage tigers (over 100K) and only a few cases of engine damage pre 40K. I have found a few very low millage bikes for under 5k <10K miles. So for the price seems like a great value. Only comparison for the $ would be DL1000 imo, thoughts opinions?

Strengths:
Engine > 100HP
Fuel Capacity
Luggage
2 UP
Fuel Econ

Weaknesses:
British? Not sure Parts? Maintenance seems par?
Suspension limited but its not a KTM

What am I missing???
thanks

Don`t dream of the past, don`t dwell on the future.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

Brit/Man II screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 10:43 AM
Brit/Man II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #18
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
I picked up a 2004 a couple months ago. I love it, did the Sasquatch fix along with a new mosfet R/R and charging like a champ now.

They are definitely the best bang for your buck in my opinion. Great two up, lots of power. I imagine a lot of people are upgrading to one of the new tigers from the 955i (skipped the 1050) and flooding the market with them. The styling will grow on you, looks better in person. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

http://www.tigertriple.com/ is a good resource.

Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
TossingLead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Picked mine up Friday, Should have bought one years ago. 600 mile weekend no problems.
~7800 mile on the ODO and will be seeing more.

TossingLead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
1derer OP
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TossingLead View Post
Picked mine up Friday, Should have bought one years ago. 600 mile weekend no problems.
~7800 mile on the ODO and will be seeing more.

Good find! Congratulations
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
birddogone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Like the silver!
birddogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #22
Ron In Buffalo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I am big fan of BMW. Own a few over the years. Plus three Ducati's.

Last August I bought a 1999 Tiger. Probably one of the best bikes I have ever own. I have put on over 8k miles in the last 12 months other than normal maintenance(tires,plugs,tires, and brake pads) No issues. Hated the stock windscreen and almost got rid of it because of the buffeting. I put on a Palmer Products windscreen system. It is perfect for me. I am 6'1" and 225 lbs. also I put on a Corbin seat. I took a trip in June did 2300 mile in six days. One of the best rides of my life the bike work well. She is tall, heavy, and dated so am I so we might be a perfect fit. I would recommend this bike. Ron
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
1derer OP
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron In Buffalo View Post
I am big fan of BMW. Own a few over the years. Plus three Ducati's.

Last August I bought a 1999 Tiger. Probably one of the best bikes I have ever own. I have put on over 8k miles in the last 12 months other than normal maintenance(tires,plugs,tires, and brake pads) No issues. Hated the stock windscreen and almost got rid of it because of the buffeting. I put on a Palmer Products windscreen system. It is perfect for me. I am 6'1" and 225 lbs. also I put on a Corbin seat. I took a trip in June did 2300 mile in six days. One of the best rides of my life the bike work well. She is tall, heavy, and dated so am I so we might be a perfect fit. I would recommend this bike. Ron
Thanks Ron appreciate the feedback!
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 544
I was looking for a bike I could use for travelling and some green laning. I bought one of these and, sorry to say, I hated it. It was heavy, unbalanced, lacking in power (presumably because of the weight), awkward handling and grim. Fuel economy is appalling but I knew that already (I've had 5 Trumpets). Also these machines have a lot of faults for you to iron out. It goes on my never-again list and I actually owned it for a grand total of 10 days and sold it. I actually made a profit too.
Plus points are a fairly comfortable seat, indestructible frame, British made (later models built in Thailand to the standard of a straw-hut) interesting styling and good luggage capacity. Also, it's surprisingly good in the dirt. It had an ability to really dig into fire-roads and pulled along pretty well. I also met a guy who had gone across Canada on one with an Aprilia Caponord. The Tiger constantly let him down while the 'prilla behaved itself. Of course, that's hardly evidence.
I wouldn't buy another Triumph, they're brilliant fun to ride but they just don't have it in them to work properly. In the end, I sucked it down and just bought a BMW R1200gs. Wow, chalk and cheese. My advice, ride it first and ride some other similar bikes. Do some homework on the Triumph forums too and make an informed decision.
PS... I think they changed the suspension after 04. Previously it had wire wheels and was ok in the dirt, then they swapped for cast and stiffened it up for highway use only. Check that for yourself, the ride is quite different.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
I've never seen any thread on any motorcycle site with the huge variety of opinions on this bike! Some guys say they are high maintenance. Others say they are almost no maintenance bikes. "Overbuilt" is a commonly used word for Tigers. Generally it seems that the older "Steamers" are more reliable, although I have yet to find significant differences, other than cosmetic changes and a little bigger motor. Some say the fuel injected ones are better, others object. It looks to me like thay have plenty of power, are fairly narrow at the engine cases, have long travel suspension which, as on any bike, can be set up for an individual. The only big issue to me is whether or not they are truly reliable in all types of terrain, temperatures, slow crawling on singletrack, and high speed highway runs. Another huge factor is if things break and fall off when, not if, you drop it. I WILL drop it. I'm a good rider, but not great, and I like to push the limits. If the bike is universally tough and reliable, has reasonable handling everywhere, I'm interested.

I can't figure it out! There seems to be about equal difference of opinion on this bike, regarding the exact same issues! How can there be such divergent posts on one bike? With most bikes, the threads are pretty consistent. A bikes faults and good points are generally agreed on. With Tigers, not so at all. Many say they handle great, have good power, are reliable. Others sell in a week stating the exact same issues as being terrible. Arghhhhhhhh! What to do?

I want a true do it all bike. To me, a GS 1200 isn't even close. I've been watching The Long Way Down", and those guys are struggling to ride down smooth dirt roads with just a little loose dirt or sand! Maybe they aren't great riders, but I would think that after riding as far as they did on the same bikes on their last trip they would learn something about riding.

I've ridden a GS 1200. It's just a big, heavy, top heavy, (although not nearly as much as it looks like), street bike. I've seen top level former pro off road racers do incredible things on the big BMWs. I'm a pretty good rider, but not that level. On any trip I take I want the freedom to just head up a rough trail, dirt road, down to a stream or lake, climb a mountain, WHATEVER! WHEREVER! I could probably ride a GS to some of the places I like to go, but I sure wouldn't enjoy it. I would also be paranoid worried about what parts I'd tear off of it. And I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself knowing that my bike payment would be half what my house payment is.

I'll put up with a bike that isn't great anywhere but that's ok everywhere. I thought my next big bike would be an older Tiger. Now I'm not so sure. Without actually riding one I can't figure out from this or any other sites if it is really reliable, if it really can handle difficult off road terrain at a decent pace, if it sucks on the street, or is the greatest big adventure bike ever!

Why won't some bike company simply copy the older KLR 650, (without the huge fairing to tear up), give it 70hp, price it competively, and sell a zillion a year?!

One last thing, I keep reading on this and other threads that short/small statured folks shouldn't buy big bikes. Nonsense! Proper riding of a motorcycle takes 85% finesse, and lack of size/strength can be easliy overcome with practice and proper bike setup. Now, if you are short, small, AND weak, maybe you don't need a heavy bike that you can't pick up until you get some practice time and work out bit. I've seen a 140 lb skinny guy snatch up a KTM 990, fully loaded with gear, like it was a bicycle. I've seen a 140 lb woman do the same to a fully loaded KLR, one of the newer ones with the big fairing. And if you are good, and have a good handling bike, you shouldn't be picking it up that much, or needing to put your feet on the ground much. Riding a bike is knowledge, practice, finesse, and bike setup. It's one sport where size matters very little. If you're weak, buy whatever you want, but go to the gym and do some deadlifts. If it's too tall, have the suspension lowered, or buy a shorter seat, or both. Some of the fastest Dakar guys are pretty small. Those bikes are huge, (used to be before the 450cc rule), and carry 150 lbs of fuel and gear. Not just the pros either. Regular Joe riders finished Dakar on huge bikes with guts and practice.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.

jgas screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 04:26 PM
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Just buy one and ride it. If you don't like it you won't lose any money selling it.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #27
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 544
If by Steamers you're talking about the old 95 engine bike then it's horribly unreliable. I had a S3 bike and it was beautiful but so much trouble. The later 885 engines machine is relatively trouble free except it has a huge drawback in the oil-ports so if you drop it, the engine is dead for ever. Oil bleeds out from the coolant into the barrels and the engine is done. That engine was fitted to the Tiger before they upgraded to the 955i engine.
As for the GS, it's a lot of things but your description couldn't be more wrong. To call it top heavy is laughable and to say it's nothing more than a streetbike shows you weren't really trying. Mine did impressive things in conditions where the KLR650 really couldn't be bothered. (I had both). Also, pushing the GS up stairs in the woods didn't shred the rear sprocket, smash the bottom of the frame or peel all the paint off. I really can't understand the american love of the KLR, it's a horrible, horrible bike to ride. I can only assume you have limited access to better machines. In Europe, Asia and the middle east, you never see them. It's all BMWs, usually 650s and 660 Teneres. I heard of KTMs but never met any beyond my friend who broke down constantly.
If you want to talk about a perfect bike then maybe Yamaha should have fitted the TDM900 engine to the 660 Tenere frame. That would have been a hell of a bike. The thing is, it really comes down to the fact that the 650 singles are pretty much already perfect. It took me a Tiger, GS, Aprilia and a DR800 to realise that. Nothing else gave me any real confidence.
Give the Tiger a try, as was said, you won't lose much money.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
brad1098
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
I was looking for a bike I could use for travelling and some green laning. I bought one of these and, sorry to say, I hated it. It was heavy, unbalanced, lacking in power (presumably because of the weight), awkward handling and grim. Fuel economy is appalling but I knew that already (I've had 5 Trumpets). Also these machines have a lot of faults for you to iron out. It goes on my never-again list and I actually owned it for a grand total of 10 days and sold it. I actually made a profit too.
Plus points are a fairly comfortable seat, indestructible frame, British made (later models built in Thailand to the standard of a straw-hut) interesting styling and good luggage capacity. Also, it's surprisingly good in the dirt. It had an ability to really dig into fire-roads and pulled along pretty well. I also met a guy who had gone across Canada on one with an Aprilia Caponord. The Tiger constantly let him down while the 'prilla behaved itself. Of course, that's hardly evidence.
I wouldn't buy another Triumph, they're brilliant fun to ride but they just don't have it in them to work properly. In the end, I sucked it down and just bought a BMW R1200gs. Wow, chalk and cheese. My advice, ride it first and ride some other similar bikes. Do some homework on the Triumph forums too and make an informed decision.
PS... I think they changed the suspension after 04. Previously it had wire wheels and was ok in the dirt, then they swapped for cast and stiffened it up for highway use only. Check that for yourself, the ride is quite different.
Shut the hell up. I don't know where to start. Nearly every word is false.

Lacking in power so you went to a GS
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Gee

I also do not know what to say!,
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
Kiwi Mo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I had a silver 955i Girlie for a while. Great touring bike, very fast. I cut the screen down and rode in the clean air in the end. Brilliant for 2 up riding as well.
Kiwi Mo is offline   Reply With Quote