PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,312
Here's my Tiger XC on FB's:

It does like to get dirty too...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
h2000fb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thanks, that's some really good information.
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Oddometer: 11,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Drop a PM to propforward. He has put 35000ish on his XC. He has used up several brands and is looking to put another set on soon.
He did, and here I am.

I have tried the OEM Bridgestones (Battlewings), Michelin Anakee 2s, Michelin Anakee 3s and I am now trying Metzeler Karoo 3s.

The OEM Bridgestones are relatively inexpenisve compared to Anakees. They are a good all round tyre, but certainly not your 50/50 dual sport tyre. however, I was pretty happy with how they handled in simple dirt and gravel. Not at all a good mud or sand tyre. I would typically get 6000 miles out of a set.

The Anakee 2s blew them away. They lasted 10,000 miles, and really were confidence inspiring in the dirt. I did run them in sand a little bit as well, and they were very good. If michelin hadn't ditched the Anakee 2s, I would be using these still. you can still find Anakee 2s, but since they are going away, I figured I'd look for something else.

The Anakee 3s get rave reviews, but not from me. They lasted 6000 miles, and the rear squared off fast. They are a great street tyre, but not nearly as well planted in the dirt as the anakee 2s in my view. The 3's do get very good reviews, and people hail them as a "90/10" tyre, which means they are street tyre. Damn near any tyre can go on gravel a bit, and I honestly didn't think the anakee 3s were any better than the OEM Bridgestones - I won't be buying them again.

The Karoos I have only had on for 1200 miles, but I am really liking them. They have a very "aggressive" tread pattern, and it feels a lot better in dirt and gravel than the anakee3s - similar to the 2's in fact. the Karoos absolutely howl on the pavement . They do very well on pavement, feel and handle great. I don't know about lifetime yet, but we shall see. They run about 300 bucks a set. The rear is spendy, the front very reasonable. For a pair, similar to most other tyre sets. I think these will be a very good dual sport tyre.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

I am liking the sound of those Full Bores though - and the price! Might try those next.

You should bear in mind on my review that I am not a skilled off road rider. It is highly likely that a skilled rider can get a lot more out of tyres like the anakee 3, but even so, I can tell a difference between tyre types, and that says something, I think. But something to bear in mind anyway.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
h2000fb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
He did, and here I am........ The Karoos I have only had on for 1200 miles, but I am really liking them. They have a very "aggressive" tread pattern, and it feels a lot better in dirt and gravel than the anakee3s - similar to the 2's in fact. the Karoos absolutely howl on the pavement ...
I was afraid of this. When looking at the tread, it look like they would afford a nice bit of traction. However, it also looked like the pattern would provide for a lot of tread slap - noise, on the road.

Saw a new set of Shinko 705's yesterday and they look exactly like the Full Bores. Wonder if Shinko is making them for FB. Shinko only rate theirs for 113mph however, I think. The fellow that had the Shinkos were running them on his 1150 GS and he swears by them. Getting 6-7,000 per rear tire, but changes them together.

And, thanks for feedback.
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

the howl is not something that bothers me, but I know it matters to some.

Loud tyres save lives.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
I am running TKC 80 front and Mitas E07 Dakar rear on my 06 Tiger 955i. The Mitas digs better than the TKC rear, handles well on road, and is currently sitting at 4000 miles. I would post a pic, but stupid govt computer won't let that happen. I road with a guy on a 990 that had the E09 Dakar knobby on the rear to Inuvik. Same tire from Virginia to Inuvik and still over 40-50% tread left.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Ah...The perennial tire question. QUALIFIER: (or disqualifier?) I frequently do dirt roads, (and probably some I shouldnt be on, as evidenced by scars on poor 800 tigger) But NO off road or single track. On my old Girlie tiger I had fine performance from Anakee2's - but apparently no longer available? So far I prefer the K-60 rear / TKC front combo for the "do all" compromise that provides good mileage, competent pavement behavior & decent dry dirt performance. Its all trade offs - but this gets me 9K+ miles, survived the WRT type trails in Utah - and also ride in a lot of rain here at home. Those are my test parameters. I burned up a TKC rear in 3K mi - they are now off my list. I also liked the k60 front - a bit better paved road manners - but tended to wash out more on gravel than the TKC & delivered about the same mileage. I havent tried the FBs - but will await more data. I'm happy with what I got for now.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Drunk uncle - EO9 Dakar - seriously? Virginia to Inuvik & still almost half the tire left? Hmmm - Thats pretty impressive! Much better than I thought. What do you get out of EO7's ?
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

The Mitas tires are great if you can get them at a reasonable price. From Poland or something? Seems to me they come from Trellborg lineage. The NA importer is in Canada IIRC.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Seems to me they come from Trellborg lineage.
Been a few year since I heard the Trelleborg name.... I believe I've used those in the seventies.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
"This is not too bad.
Bridgestone TW152"

That is a tyre from the Stone Age, and for some weird reason it is still used OEM on the Suzuki DL650/1000. Dunno exactly, how it would work on another bike, but I have my doubts. (Bridgestone also has a newer design called Battlewing).
Agreed -- the TW152 is an old 90/10 design that Suzuki is inexplicably still using on the V-Strom. The newer Battlewing is a better 90/10 tire all around, both on pavement and off.

Quote:
The FB's are V-rated (rear) and are just fine on pavement, amazing off unless you're planning to make yours a dirtbike which I don't recommend simply because it's too heavy and when/if you drop it the parts are REALLY expensive. They are my go-to tire when the bike is going to see dirt two-track.

EDIT: FB's look like 705's, similar mold - slightly larger block spacing, but are V-rated and supposedly have a slightly different (better) carcass and or rubber compound. And yes, made in the Shinko factory. Someone said an importer said they were the same tire as the 705 marketed under the new name. I looked at them side by side at a tire store they did look slightly different, so I dunno. For me the FB is the better choice. For $150 they get a LOT of raves, haven't heard anyone really pan them.
The FB in 150/70-17 is definitely a different tire from the Shinko. Tread is very similar, but I've compared them side by side (have used both), and the FB definitely has wider spacing between the tread lugs. And yet the FB wears better than the Shinko.

I agree that it's an ideal all-around tire for the Tiger. It handles great on pavement, and far better in the dirt/gravel than it looks like it should.

For those who want even better grip in the dirt without sacrificing much on the street, running the FB rear with an IRC TR8 front tire works great. The IRC is similar to a TKC-80 in 90/90-21, but the knobs are spaced slightly wider and yet the tire wears extremely well. Pretty evenly with the rear, actually.

Here's my Tiger on the Trans-Labrador Highway running the IRC front and FB rear:

Tire wear at the other end of the Trans-Lab, about 1600 miles on them, combined pavement and dirt/gravel:

I really liked this combination, and will definitely run it again for future trips of this type.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #28
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The FB in 150/70-17 is definitely a different tire from the Shinko. Tread is very similar, but I've compared them side by side (have used both), and the FB definitely has wider spacing between the tread lugs. And yet the FB wears better than the Shinko.

I agree that it's an ideal all-around tire for the Tiger. It handles great on pavement, and far better in the dirt/gravel than it looks like it should.

For those who want even better grip in the dirt without sacrificing much on the street, running the FB rear with an IRC TR8 front tire works great. The IRC is similar to a TKC-80 in 90/90-21, but the knobs are spaced slightly wider and yet the tire wears extremely well. Pretty evenly with the rear, actually.

Here's my Tiger on the Trans-Labrador Highway running the IRC front and FB rear:

I really liked this combination, and will definitely run it again for future trips of this type.

--mark

And there ya go peeps. What a great combination. The rear runs really smooth, the same front is a little buzzy at 20, and I'm sure the knobby is even buzzier, so just changing out the front for something road oriented for all road riding is an easy deal. Keep the FB on the back and run a 'trail, trail attack, or some other road-oriented adventure tire on the front, change back to a knobby when you need it. I've decided this is where I'm going as well.

The rear should go at least four or five thousand, then replace it for $90. That's really hard to beat.

Interesting how the gravel wears those tires - my blocks stay sharp on the edges from so much pavement running - it wears them down evenly. These pics look like dirtbike tire wear with the rounded off edges.

We should just keep it hush-hush though...if these FB gain in popularity you know they'll be raising the price.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:

We should just keep it hush-hush though...if these FB gain in popularity you know they'll be raising the price.
Nevermind the FB's , they suck! You don't want them?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

About the only place I think the FB's don't fit is if you were doing a super high-mile crosscountry trip. Like to AK and back, or RTW. If I was going to need 6K mile or more longevity I would go Heidi or Tourance. Either will supposedly go 10K easy. Or ship a tire to a stopping point.