Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #31
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
I have a set of Continental TKC-80's on my Tiger 800 and have pretty much wiped them out at 6,000 miles. But those were 6k hard miles at high speeds and lots of throttle, so overall I'm pleased with the performance and mileage. I would definitely use them again!

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
So far I've had the Karoo 3's and FB's.

The only thing I liked about the FB's was the price.

The only thing I disliked about the Karoo 3's was the price.

The FB's totally disappointed me on gravel. Since I live on a gravel road, this was a big strike against them. Lose gravel or hard packed, it didn't matter, they sucked. I don't think they were any better than the stock Scorpions. I expected them to work as well as the 705's on my DR650 but they never came close to it. I don't get it, tread wise they're virtually identical. Perhaps heavier bikes need more aggressive tires?

The Karoo 3's did everything very well. I took 'em off after 2,000 miles because I had a 3,000 mile trip planned and had doubts as to whether or not they'd go that far. I'd say they were about 1/2 worn by that point. These are the tires Triumph should have spec'd for the bike. My only qualm is the price. Why does a 140/70/18 cost HALF what a 150/70/17 does?

I think I will try some knobbies in front and see if that helps any. Otherwise it's looking like the Karoo 3's will be my forever tire on the Tiger. For a long tour I'd quickly go to the Scorpions. I loved 'em in the wet.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,036
I've found the smoother DS type tires only grip if you let the air down to about 22-25lbs. Then they grip pretty good. That's not very convenient for frequent transitioning or commuting with a dirt road in it.

Pea gravel is tough with any tire. Any tire should be reasonable on crushed gravel unless it's deep. None of them are very good in sand.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #34
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,275
you guys get 6000 miles out of tkcs? fark me im lucky to get 3000 and thats not hooning either. they're very spendy tyres down here in oz.

150 size heidis for absolute max wear. e-09's for a hard wearing knobby rear. hope i never have to lever either of those 2 off. tkc rears are expensive and wear fast. kenda big block rear was better than expected for grip/wear. can be had for a better price than tkc's

tkc front ok on road for a 50/50. dont rate it offroad or in sand, wears ok tho. pirelli scorpion rally really good, but the mt 21 same or better offroad grip and handles better. just changed out a mt21 front that was rooted after 6000km

just fitted a set of scorpion rallys. havent tried the rear before, so hoping for good things.

havent bothered with the oem dunlops or pirellis, i change them out after running the bike in. onroad grip is not a priority for me.
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #35
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,425
My 800XC came to me with a semi spent Karoo (T) on it but I still got another 1500 miles out of it and was impressed with the stick it provided, both on and off road. I just replaced it with a new Karoo (T) and am looking forward to the next 5000 miles of good value tyre wear.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #36
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
So far I've had the Karoo 3's and FB's.

The only thing I liked about the FB's was the price.

The only thing I disliked about the Karoo 3's was the price.

The FB's totally disappointed me on gravel.
I like the look of the Karoo 3's also, but your only getting 5k....... Maybe if I was riding a bit more mud or sand...

For me, the FB's perform just as well on gravel as the TKC80's did. I run the front at 28 psi and rear at 32 all the time. I did try 36/40 for about 500 miles of mixed dirt/gravel/paved and they performed just like the BW .
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #37
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 126
TKC80 Front and Heidenau K60 rear

I live in the Northeast. The local riding is a mix bag of mud, roots and rocks. The biggest fear I have on my Tiger is my front end washing out. Hence my choice for the knobbiest tire that would make sense on a 500lbs bike. The rear I went with the Heidenau K60 Scout. The center ridge rides great on the road and it actually doesn't kick out to the side that much.

My first ride showed a very nervous feeling front end. The TKC knobs were really slippery until the tire release agent wore off. They wandered quite a bit but it was predictable with the weird feedback that they weren't ready for being pushed hard. After they wore in I didn't feel nervous about them and push them into the corners. Not street tires but exceptional for knobs. They are noisy but I have ridden this bike in trails it had no business on. The front would kick off a rock and hook right back up. That's what I was looking for from a front tire on this thing. Not that sliding sideways forever feeling as you are about to auger in.

The rear Heidi is drama free. Plenty of traction in the everything I toss as it. I hear they last a while too. Much longer than the TKC rear. This is why I chose it.
2000 Ducati 996S - Madness
2014 H-D Breakout - Nothing like a big scooter to relax a bit
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
The rear Heidi is drama free. Plenty of traction in the everything I toss as it. I hear they last a while too. Much longer than the TKC rear. This is why I chose it.
Did you mount and balance it yourself? Could you repair a flat in the field if it came to it?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #39
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Well...I have had the misfortune of a K-60 flat. Pinched tube from airing down too much. Anyway - it IS a chore, but doable. Warm tire is easier. I carry 3 irons - two 10s & one 12". I dont air down much anymore either - give up a little traction / save a flat. Good trade off.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Consider Mitas E07's

Long life (15000Km is not unheard of) Work well on road and in the dirt!
I never drop air pressure going off road.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein

Forseti screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 06:55 PM
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #41
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
My 800XC came to me with a semi spent Karoo (T) on it but I still got another 1500 miles out of it and was impressed with the stick it provided, both on and off road. I just replaced it with a new Karoo (T) and am looking forward to the next 5000 miles of good value tyre wear.
miles or km trev?
wairau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #42
MK 2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Mitas e09 dakars have been impressive so far over 4k and plenty of knobby left on my tiger.
MK 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #43
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,078
XC is the cross-country model. It'd be a waste to shoe/ride it strictly like a streetbike.

IRC TR8 front. It runs pavement fine. It runs dirt fine. It's even reversible, for longevity. Out back, you can give up some dirt traction, especially lateral traction, for better longevity. A Kenda K761 rear is fine for onroad/offroad use with good longevity. The Heidenau K60 is similar, but probably lasts even longer. It's just not as easy/inexpensive to find in the US.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #44
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post
miles or km trev?
Miles mate, I was trying to talk the universal language....

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #45
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
A Kenda K761 rear is fine for onroad/offroad use with good longevity.
Where do you find a K761 in 150/70-17???

Or are you running the 130 and just not cornering much?

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote