Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #46
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Trev View Post
Miles mate, I was trying to talk the universal language....
figured that might be the case

5000 miles out of a karoo t, thats pretty good eh? thought theyd be lucky to get half that.
marlboroughlad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #47
BillDRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Shinko bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2000fb View Post
Now Looking for Opinions on Tires

Ok, it looks like I will be replacing my KLR with Tiger 800XC. However, they will be changing the tires for me after I send them up for the swap out. I would like to hear suggestions - Please!

Don’t like the tires that come on them as they are street tires. They may call them something else, but they are street.

The Pirelli MT90 does not come in the correct size for the rear, but I like that type of tire as it should give me better street grip than a full knobby on the road and a little better grip in the dirt than most so called adventure tires. I like the Continental TKC 80s, but would like something a little less aggressive because it would see street use, maybe more 50/50 or 60/40 if possible? However, I may be over thinking it here as I did have the Kenda 270's on the KLR and they were ok. Slid a little sometimes but not too bad.

The tires on the 800XC Tiger are: 90/90ZR21 and 150/70ZR17

This is not too bad.
Bridgestone TW152

This is Ok. Finding these for $197R & $94F
Heidenau K60 Scout

This seems Ok. Finding these for $202R, $95F
Metzeler Karoo 3

I know this is a cheaper tire, but they supposedly a good tire.
Shinko (Yokahoma) 705

How about throwing some options up here and maybe your experience with them? Have any other ideas, options or suggestions? Had any experience with any of these? What are your opinions for what I am looking at compared to the TKC's maybe?
Put Shinko 705 on 800xc 3 months ago, they are fine on dry pavement as long as you are not aggressive but the spin easily if you accelerate quickly. On dirt they are junk as soon as you lean them they slide horribly. I have probably 3000 miles on them and still hate them. The front is slightly better than the rear but I wont use either in the future. Probably Heidenau's next.
BillDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #48
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDRZ View Post
Put Shinko 705 on 800xc 3 months ago, they are fine on dry pavement as long as you are not aggressive but the spin easily if you accelerate quickly. On dirt they are junk as soon as you lean them they slide horribly. I have probably 3000 miles on them and still hate them. The front is slightly better than the rear but I wont use either in the future. Probably Heidenau's next.

No surprises here.

None of these tires are considered knobbies, and none will perform like one. All will slide out if you try to ride it like a dirtbike.

Most of us are looking for something that goes down the road nicely, grips well enough for canyon sweepers, but will air down and do dirt roads with relative safety. Oh, and provide decent mileage.

You will find the ones pictured here will perform about the same on the tiger, with the more aggressive the tread the better they work off and worse on.

Also why I prefer a mostly road tire for mostly road - they are smoother and grip better. Doesn't mean the 'shinko is bad'.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #49
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
I know I should expect it by now, but I am still always surprised with folks who put a street biased tire on their bike and then complain that it doesnt do well in the dirt. Or complain that an agressive tire howls, or slips on the pavement.

Folks there are lots of compromies in life and tire choice is one of those places. Decide where you do the most riding or what is most important to you, and choose a pair of shoes accordingly. Live with the result, they have not come up with a morphing tire just yet.

OK, I feel better now.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #50
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 954
Seems like the Heidenau is the best blend for mileage and traction in the rear, with the only gripe being that the size that fits our 800XC's being the one that has the connected center tread. Better for mileage, worse for really hooking up off road.

I just threw the TKC 80 on the front, and it's a noticeable improvement from the quick dirt roads I tested it on. No hunting on big gravel like the stock scorpions or half worn Full Bore I had before.

Heidenau K60 rear is arriving this afternoon. Should be the blend that works for me, and seems to be the most recommended combo. We shall see... Both have excellent life expectancies.
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #51
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
speaking of tire changes. After sweating for two hours trying to break the bead on my rear tire. I Googled a bit and came up with this technique. Worked like a charm.

Obtain a short length of 4x4. I used two 2x4s. I think a single piece of 2x4 turned on end might do the same. Place under the rubber part of the tire so the edge comes just to the rim, but not under the rim. Stand on tire. A half second later your bead is broken. I couldnt believe how well it worked.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #52
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Mitas E-07 Dakar

I am just finishing up 6000 miles on a set of K60 Scouts and have decided to try something with a little more off road ability. The Mitas claims to get similar mileage without the center strip which makes it less grippy off road. However, if I were doing more highway miles I would stick with the K60. It's an AWESOME 60/40 tire...

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...ycle-tire.html

vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #53
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjoosten View Post
I am just finishing up 6000 miles on a set of K60 Scouts and have decided to try something with a little more off road ability. The Mitas claims to get similar mileage without the center strip which makes it less grippy off road. However, if I were doing more highway miles I would stick with the K60. It's an AWESOME 60/40 tire...

Hmmm... maybe I should have gotten that one?! 6000 miles will go quick... next time
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #54
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:

Both the eo7 and eo9 get high marks from the riders that have them. Have seen a few GS riders rave about the 9's for offroad.

One of the problems with Mitas is shipping them here to the states since MX1 is in Canada. I think it's about $60 to ship a set here, and they're not cheap to begin with. So you end up with a $350 set of tires. I have said before, if Mitas ever gets their shit together they could sell a lot of tires here. Frankly I don't think the factory can keep up with demand. I know they are popular in south Africa, Aus/NZ as well.

Besides, I just clicked your link and it says the are out of stock.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #55
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
speaking of tire changes. After sweating for two hours trying to break the bead on my rear tire. I Googled a bit and came up with this technique. Worked like a charm.

Obtain a short length of 4x4. I used two 2x4s. I think a single piece of 2x4 turned on end might do the same. Place under the rubber part of the tire so the edge comes just to the rim, but not under the rim. Stand on tire. A half second later your bead is broken. I couldnt believe how well it worked.
With the bike on its centerstand the side stand will break the bead by pulling the bike over. Probly find a youtube on it out there.

Yep...here ya go. You need to be able to do this in the field for a flat repair - not going to carry a couple'a 2x4's. LOL.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #56
vanjoosten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Both the eo7 and eo9 get high marks from the riders that have them. Have seen a few GS riders rave about the 9's for offroad.

One of the problems with Mitas is shipping them here to the states since MX1 is in Canada. I think it's about $60 to ship a set here, and they're not cheap to begin with. So you end up with a $350 set of tires. I have said before, if Mitas ever gets their shit together they could sell a lot of tires here. Frankly I don't think the factory can keep up with demand. I know they are popular in south Africa, Aus/NZ as well.

Besides, I just clicked your link and it says the are out of stock.
Yep, they are all out of the Dakar 4-ply but they have the standard E-07 3-ply in most sizes. It looks like they are waiting for another container from the czech republic at the end of September to restock the Dakars. The cost with shipping for the rear was the same as my K60 from revzilla, so not cheap, but not exceptionally spendy... I'll post up a review once I get it mounted and some miles on it. Still not sure about the E-07 or a TKC for the front though.
vanjoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #57
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Yep, they are all out of the Dakar 4-ply but they have the standard E-07 3-ply in most sizes. It looks like they are waiting for another container from the czech republic at the end of September to restock the Dakars. The cost with shipping for the rear was the same as my K60 from revzilla, so not cheap, but not exceptionally spendy... I'll post up a review once I get it mounted and some miles on it. Still not sure about the E-07 or a TKC for the front though.
The front E07 will work about the same as a K60, marginal on and offroad. My recommendation is to get a TKC/T63/Scorp Rally for the front as well as a Conti trail attack/Scorpion Trail or other road tire and switch them out as appropriate. American mototire is selling conti attacks for $85 right now - everyone else is over $100, some are up to $135 for a front.

The problem with these dualsport type fronts is they wash out on both surfaces, being not so great on either pavement or dirt. Since the front is so easy to change out you can have the best tire up there for your adventure. At least this is where I'm going with mine. Mark or notate balance weights and rim location and it's a 10 minute swap.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #58
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Oddometer: 12,048
Anyone tried Dunlop Trailmax? I'm giving those a try next. The Karoos wear out FAST. Good tyres otherwise.

Sometimes, the reason is that you are stupid, and make bad decisions.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #59
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Anyone tried Dunlop Trailmax? I'm giving those a try next. The Karoos wear out FAST. Good tyres otherwise.
I saw them up close at a bike show last year and thought they were good looking tires. Seems to me though, that owner reports weren't all that great for them. Kind of a 'meh' tire. IIRC they're not cheap either. And definitely road-oriented.

I'm guessing the Conti Trail Attack is a better version of virtually the same tire, and we know the scorp trails are a very good tire at a good price. I'm thinking I'll give the new michy A3's a try.

Put 'em on then come back and tell us how they are.

For more feedback google: site:advrider.com dunlop trailmax
You'll find a bunch of threads and rider feedback.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #60
propforward
Known Serial Hugger

Oddometer: 12,048
I did take a look at some of the threads and feedback. It's always tricky to judge other peoples reviews against your own riding style, but I thought the Dunlops looked promising. I will have them today, so once I get some miles on I will certainly report back. I was hoping maybe someone had specifically tried them on a Tiger, but at this point I am happy to give it a go.

I didn't really like the A3s for example, because for me they did not last nearly as long as the A2s, and did not feel nearly as good off pavement. Great feel on pavement though.

Sometimes, the reason is that you are stupid, and make bad decisions.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote