Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #61
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Anyone tried Dunlop Trailmax? I'm giving those a try next. The Karoos wear out FAST. Good tyres otherwise.

Which Karoo's.. Any pics?
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #62
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Which Karoo's.. Any pics?
The Karoo 3's

After 2500 miles the rear has really squared off. I think I might only have 1500 miles left on it. Great tyres though, they feel very good off road.

Tyre life varies by person though, style of riding and what not, so some people could easily get more miles than that.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #63
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
The Karoo 3's

After 2500 miles the rear has really squared off. I think I might only have 1500 miles left on it. Great tyres though, they feel very good off road.

Tyre life varies by person though, style of riding and what not, so some people could easily get more miles than that.

Wow, thats really low...

I'm a little over 2k with normal wear, will report as I approach 3,4, & hopefully 5k
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #64
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Anyone tried Dunlop Trailmax? I'm giving those a try next. The Karoos wear out FAST. Good tyres otherwise.

Been running Trailmaxs on my 955 Tiger. Performs just like the Tourance on and off road for me. Can't tell after 4k miles whether they'll last as long. I prefer the way the Tourance goes through turns so if I had to do it over again I'd go for the Tourances. Took my front Trailmax off, sold it to my buddy cheap, and put a TKC80 on. I LOVE the way this tire goes through turns... falls into turns quick and with great grip... Hope it lasts....

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #65
propforward
Mime Hurler

Oddometer: 12,475
I just got the Trailmax tyres today. I am excited - the tread is very similar in terms of depth, width and shape to anakee 2s, which so far have offered the best combo of longevity, road grip and off road grip for the riding I do, so I am quite hopeful for these tyres.

Time will tell! I will pull the Karoos tomorrow and put these on. I'll finish up the Karoos another time. I don't think they have enough miles on for my upcoming trip.

I'll report back.

Indiana Jones wears one.
propforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #66
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Not cheap, just wondering

Has anyone tried the IRC GP1/Shinko 244/Kenda K270 type tire on the 800XC? Are these even speed rated? Just wondering. I have 7650 miles on my K60 Scouts and have been very pleased. Picked up another rear at Beemers & More Motorcycles while visiting the kids in Ft. Collins, CO. I'll put it on after next weekends 4 day, 900 mile ride to a Triumph gathering in Taos and a BMW Rally at Sipapu Ski Lodge.
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #67
BaddAndy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Just got home from a 600 mile trip. 550 miles on pavement, and 50 on forest road that was gravely, packed rock, loose rock, smooth dry and smooth wet. TKC 80s handled all with aplomb. Railed on the pavement, and never slid on the dirt. The dirt performance really surprized me considering the weight with bags. They have almost 3,000 miles on them and still look new.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #68
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
here is a pair of K60 Scouts after 12,000 on a Tiger. I avw a set on mineand if they do as well I might never try anything else

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #69
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Has anyone tried the IRC GP1/Shinko 244/Kenda K270 type tire on the 800XC? Are these even speed rated? Just wondering. I have 7650 miles on my K60 Scouts and have been very pleased. Picked up another rear at Beemers & More Motorcycles while visiting the kids in Ft. Collins, CO. I'll put it on after next weekends 4 day, 900 mile ride to a Triumph gathering in Taos and a BMW Rally at Sipapu Ski Lodge.

None of those are big enough for the tiger, and even if they were they'd be all squishy and squirelly. They don't even work worth a crap on a 320lb dualsport. Stick with the scouts. Just make sure you can patch a flat in the field. Put a real knobby on the front if you're gonna do a lot of dirt.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #70
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Talking

Well, my Tiger just gained a set of Metzler Tourances last week. Liking them a lot so far.

Had the wife on the back Sunday and we did some gravel/dry dirt roads and the Tiger felt planted the whole time, no squirming around like the Battlewings seemed to do......BTW I am too cheap just to change tires unless they are worn out so the old tires had to wear out first.......
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #71
yepimabiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I just put a set of full bore tires on my tiger 800 xc . WOW what an amazing transformation in ride quality and handling ! I will be putting another set on when it comes time !
yepimabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #72
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,128
7.5K miles 3 sets of tires

Removed the stock wings at 600 miles, not a dirt tire

Fullbore's up to 6200 miles. Front was at half life (if your local and want to give it a try, hit me up)

rear could have maybe gone another 2K

This is an awesome set of tires for the casual dirt rider. They performed as expected, front would washout in mud or very loose dirt making it a pretty exciting trail ride. But would track well on rocks ad firm dirt. Rear would slip and spin in same conditions, but would hookup well on dirt roads and rocky dry or wet trails, but not muddy or over roots.
Performed well enough for me on the road. I'm more aggressive off, than on road. Smooth ride, low noise.
Easy to mount and easy to balance taking about 4-6 1/4oz weights.

Scorpion Rally front, TKC80 Rear 1300 miles.
I went for the Rally front over the TKC because the Rally has a stronger side wall.
I love the rally and doubt I will try a different front. (and that's even with it mounted backwards, Doh) As expected, a bit twitchy until the mold release got scrubbed off. Kind of exciting changing lanes at 80 I've since changed it over to the correct rotation and it didn't handle any different on the road, but I did notice a bit better handling at the sand pit.

The TKC is a different story...

Lots of wear to center two knobs, You can see the taper towards the center and back side. The single center knob is still in pretty good shape.
Easy to mount but a bit of PITA to balance and used 8-10 1/4 oz weights, and needed to be placed in a few locations. I also cut some down for fine tuning.
I may reverse rotation for next weekends Berkshire Triple DS ride. Although they are directional, I don't think it's an issue with today's manufacturing processes.

As expected, this set makes a little bit more noise, which I personally like. And has a little vibration but not enough to matter. And they make the bike look bad ass.

I'm trying to get the Mitas E-07, but may go for the Scout and but it on before the TKC is worn out so I have an organized ride option.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #73
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2000fb View Post
The Full Bores look like Shinko 705's or at least from the same mold I think.
Rumor has it they are made on the same molds

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #74
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Rumor has it they are made on the same molds
I think someone said the spacing was slightly bigger on one between the lugs, but I don't remember which... Same design though
Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #75
btao
RIP Lilolita

Oddometer: 1,009
First ride with the TKC-80 front and Heidenau K60 rear combo in deep sand, mud and trails

The combo worked really really well in the sand. No matter how deep and squirrely i got, they held on. It got pretty fun after you got used to the drift of the sand. Next we took it on some bushwacking trails that required extensive sawing and cutting to get through. They stuck in there very well until we hit anything with mud or water. The TKC-80 was ok, but the K60 just wouldn't bite. It's a slippery when wet tire. On the street it wouldn't hook up in the wet, and the same goes for off road. The center connector just kills the chances in exchange for long life. I took it to the mud pit at Thomaston Dam and it was embarrassingly bad.

It had, to quote boinoodle, narcolepsy.

It would not stay up. The bike is too heavy and the rear hunted for the center of the earth and slid into every nook and cranny it could find. I think the center tread connector helps in deep sand from sliding sideways, but causes the mud to not release and makes the tire spin and spin.

They were really positive on trails and rocks and climbs and descents. On the steepest climb with an S turn mid climb, the tires didn't even slip or spin on the forest decay surface.

I do have some interesting feedback from switching the ABS back ON mid-ride. We rode a few loops around the pits and the surrounding trails. I found my stopping control was significantly increased with the ABS ON riding over the same trails. It would slip a little bit, but I didn't have to modulate the brake to get it to hook back up and on. If it was smooth pavement, maybe I could keep up with modulating, but with everything else that happens on a trail and the precision it takes to be better than the ABS, I could not make it any better, or even close to the ABS performance really. Same goes for in the SAND. Deep, loose squishy sand. I didn't even feel the ABS come on once. You would think it would come on all the time, but it didn't.

So, this is very important and relevant to the thread, because this is drastically different once I had tires with heavy, deep lugged tires on. So, with the extra traction of off road bias tires, I would highly recommend trying with ABS ON. That may change as the tires wear, but for now, it was much easier to ride the gnarly stuff with it on. I didn't however try any really loose, rocky descents, where there's a chance you could have a runaway scenario with the ABS on. If you go slow enough for it to keep up, you're in the clear, but there will be a line you don't want to cross. All else fails, hit the kill switch, grab the clutch and lock it up. No more ABS. My findings seem to line up with the ABS philosophy thread around here somewhere...

Try it to see if you get similar results. I'm on a 2013 Tiger 800XC to be specific. I wonder if the ABS has improved or not over the past 3 years.