Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #76
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Removed the stock wings at 600 miles, not a dirt tire

Fullbore's up to 6200 miles. Front was at half life (if your local and want to give it a try, hit me up)
Or contact me as I still have your front from when I tried it
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #77
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
The ABS works really well on dirt surfaces. It seems to be one of the best out there.
I imagine for a steep rocky decent it should be turned off, but for normal riding it is surprisingly effective.

Good reports on the tires.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #78
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,028
Big Block on Sale

I'm running the TKC rear and love the performance, but not the wear/cost ratio. Do you think the Big Block, at $119 with free shipping is a good option?
It would be more of my organized ride tire where I would have the Mitas E-07 or Scout as the primary tire. But then again, full knobbie's look damn sexy, and you know it's all bout the looks

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #79
btao
Pwned

Quote:
I'm running the TKC rear and love the performance, but not the wear/cost ratio. Do you think the Big Block, at $119 with free shipping is a good option?
It would be more of my organized ride tire where I would have the Mitas E-07 or Scout as the primary tire. But then again, full knobbie's look damn sexy, and you know it's all bout the looks
Anyone use this:

Mefo Stone Master?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #80
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:

I ran a Big Block front once, and the thing was toast in about 3000 miles (for purposes of comparison, I took off a front IRC TR8, with a more aggressive tread, at somewhere around 6000 miles that was still in pretty decent shape). I'm sure I would have burned through a Big Block rear in 2000 miles or less.

This seemed to be a consistent complaint with the Big Block when it first came out. I seem to recall that some people were destroying the rear tires in less than 1000 miles. But I believe Kenda has since changed the rubber compound for better tread life.

Still, I wouldn't trust it. It doesn't help that the Big Block front I ran was the only tire I've ever had on my XC that caused the bike to be prone to head shake at highway speeds.

I'd recommend instead running an IRC TR8 front tire -- loved that one, great both on pavement and on dirt/gravel -- and a TKC or perhaps a Heidenau on the back. Or if you don't want to pay for those, a Full Bore M40. Not quite as aggressive, but far better on dirt than it looks like it should be.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #81
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
I ran a Big Block front once, and the thing was toast in about 3000 miles (for purposes of comparison, I took off a front IRC TR8, with a more aggressive tread, at somewhere around 6000 miles that was still in pretty decent shape). I'm sure I would have burned through a Big Block rear in 2000 miles or less.

This seemed to be a consistent complaint with the Big Block when it first came out. I seem to recall that some people were destroying the rear tires in less than 1000 miles. But I believe Kenda has since changed the rubber compound for better tread life.

Still, I wouldn't trust it. It doesn't help that the Big Block front I ran was the only tire I've ever had on my XC that caused the bike to be prone to head shake at highway speeds.

I'd recommend instead running an IRC TR8 front tire -- loved that one, great both on pavement and on dirt/gravel -- and a TKC or perhaps a Heidenau on the back. Or if you don't want to pay for those, a Full Bore M40. Not quite as aggressive, but far better on dirt than it looks like it should be.

--mark
^^This +

BB's are toast in a very short time. Buy one and try it. Unless you're really going into sand and mud then the FB will be fine. Run a real knobby up front to help prevent wash-out on soft surfaces.

The IRC is a decent tire, the Pirelli Scorpion Rally is even better - check 'em out. Neither are very good on tar - for a road trip I'd want a road tire up there. Right now Coni Trail Attacks are really cheap from american mototire so I'll probly pick one up to run it with the FB rear, then put a front knobby on for dirt routes. I just don't like to ride offroad much with this bike, it's too damn heavy for this 56 year old weakling.

If you have a lot of road to do with the front knobby the TKC is still better than both of the more aggressive knobbies. T63 is another one to consider, good road holding but shallow knobs so not as good off. D908 is also reported decent upfront for a big ADV bike, pretty popular with the 950-990 crowd.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #82
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

I should clarify I was talking about the rear. I'm a Rally front convert, see no reason to try any other.
FB rear isn't aggressive enough for my riding style.
LOVE the TKC and I guess will stick with it for more demanding rides. Will try the Scout or Mitas E-07 for everyday abuse/riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
^^This +

BB's are toast in a very short time. Buy one and try it. Unless you're really going into sand and mud then the FB will be fine. Run a real knobby up front to help prevent wash-out on soft surfaces.

The IRC is a decent tire, the Pirelli Scorpion Rally is even better - check 'em out. Neither are very good on tar - for a road trip I'd want a road tire up there. Right now Coni Trail Attacks are really cheap from american mototire so I'll probly pick one up to run it with the FB rear, then put a front knobby on for dirt routes. I just don't like to ride offroad much with this bike, it's too damn heavy for this 56 year old weakling.

If you have a lot of road to do with the front knobby the TKC is still better than both of the more aggressive knobbies. T63 is another one to consider, good road holding but shallow knobs so not as good off. D908 is also reported decent upfront for a big ADV bike, pretty popular with the 950-990 crowd.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #83
btao
Pwned

Quote:
I should clarify I was talking about the rear. I'm a Rally front convert, see no reason to try any other.
FB rear isn't aggressive enough for my riding style.
LOVE the TKC and I guess will stick with it for more demanding rides. Will try the Scout or Mitas E-07 for everyday abuse/riding.
You should try the TKC 80 front sometime too. Similar, and a lot of people seemed to like them and get better mileage out of the front. Time will tell with mine. They work great when pointed in the right direction....
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #84
propforward
Caught in the act

Oddometer: 12,167
I am currently enjoying the Dunlop Trailmax tyres. They are a very good mostly street / some gravel tyre, and grip the dirt and gravel way better than the Anakee 3s. If you are looking for a 75/25 road / gravel tyre, these are very good. Only 2000 miles on them so far, but I am liking them, and they are not squared off like the Karoo 3s were at this mileage. I suggest these are a worthy replacement for Anakee 2s, if that was a tyre you liked.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #85
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
I am currently enjoying the Dunlop Trailmax tyres. They are a very good mostly street / some gravel tyre, and grip the dirt and gravel way better than the Anakee 3s. If you are looking for a 75/25 road / gravel tyre, these are very good. Only 2000 miles on them so far, but I am liking them, and they are not squared off like the Karoo 3s were at this mileage. I suggest these are a worthy replacement for Anakee 2s, if that was a tyre you liked.

REALLY???? You already wore out a set of the new ones?
I was leaning A3's...go with the dunlops eh?

Probably for the next several months, or when the scorp trails are done, run the FB rear and trail attack front or knobby front, like TKC. Will see what kind of trips pop up.

You got my curiosity up on the trailmax though.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #86
propforward
Caught in the act

Quote:
REALLY???? You already wore out a set of the new ones?
Yes, I only got 6000 miles out of them.

Got 10,000 out of the Anakee 2s.

I don't know what the lifetime of the Trailmax's is yet, but I am liking them so far. On gravel, the A3s would skip about. The Trailmaxs have been solid. This was verified by a friend of mine who had followed me when using both types of tyre, and he said the difference was noticeable. I feel a lot more confident with Trailmaxs vs A3s.

It's worth doing a bit of a search on the Trailmaxs, people have been pleasantly surprised I think. They are certainly not going to be up to a TKC when in gravel and dirt, but that's the thing - it's a matter of each rider getting the right balance of road / dirt that they want. For the 75/25 street / dirt rider, or more generally street biased, these Trailmaxs are pretty good.

More hard core dirt riders will want something more knobbier I should think.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #87
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforward View Post
Yes, I only got 6000 miles out of them.

Got 10,000 out of the Anakee 2s.

I don't know what the lifetime of the Trailmax's is yet, but I am liking them so far. On gravel, the A3s would skip about. The Trailmaxs have been solid. This was verified by a friend of mine who had followed me when using both types of tyre, and he said the difference was noticeable. I feel a lot more confident with Trailmaxs vs A3s.

It's worth doing a bit of a search on the Trailmaxs, people have been pleasantly surprised I think. They are certainly not going to be up to a TKC when in gravel and dirt, but that's the thing - it's a matter of each rider getting the right balance of road / dirt that they want. For the 75/25 street / dirt rider, or more generally street biased, these Trailmaxs are pretty good.

More hard core dirt riders will want something more knobbier I should think.
Excellent. I appreciate the feedback and experience on the A3's.

I prefer a more street-oriented tire for 90% of my riding, especially since I have a 'real' dualsport with the TE630 - it has full knobbies. So my tiger is my 'road bike'.

I have moreorless worn out two sets of Scorpion Trails, one set on a versys, and the ones that came on the tiger are almost done (about 5K right now) and I really like them. We are just never satisfied though, always looking for a better mousetrap.

If road performance is on par with the 'trails and better off then I would definitely want to give them a try. I have fear of dropping $250 to $300 for a set of tires and then hating them. I don't put as many miles on as some, so they tend to last a year or more. If I didn't like them it would be an expensive mistake.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #88
propforward
Caught in the act

Quote:
If I didn't like them it would be an expensive mistake.
I know what you mean - kind of feel that way with the Karoos, great tyre, but man I burned the rear out fast. Clearly more of a 50/50 tyre.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #89
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
So my tiger is my 'road bike'..

BOOOOOOO!!!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #90
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

MITAS E-07 now in stock

The Dakar is NOT available!!! There are 7 scheduled to come in in three weeks, MAYBE, and they are already spoken for.

The sport is the same construction as the Dakar, with one less layer. The tech was pretty confident this isn't an issue and said he personally knows of this version running on Tigers with no issues. Guess I'll find out pretty soon.

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...rear-tire.html

$200 with shipping but I'm more interested in comparing this tire to the Scout as there is no center strip in the Mitas and I'm looking for performance than durability. Not Durability than performance.

I also will be giving the Scorpion Rally rear a try, as my TKC80 rear is toast at 3K. At $70 cheaper, it can't be that much worse...

Lord John Whorfin