Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #91
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
The Dakar is NOT available!!! There are 7 scheduled to come in in three weeks, MAYBE, and they are already spoken for.

The sport is the same construction as the Dakar, with one less layer. The tech was pretty confident this isn't an issue and said he personally knows of this version running on Tigers with no issues. Guess I'll find out pretty soon.

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...rear-tire.html

$200 with shipping but I'm more interested in comparing this tire to the Scout as there is no center strip in the Mitas and I'm looking for performance than durability. Not Durability than performance.

I also will be giving the Scorpion Rally rear a try, as my TKC80 rear is toast at 3K. At $70 cheaper, it can't be that much worse...
LOL. Try them all and then let us know which one is the best.

I wouldn't run any of the mitas other than their dakar designation - they have a sturdier carcass for off road. If you're not going to run them hard offroad then it doesn't matter. And anyway, you really should be looking at the 09 - it's the real knobby. Wear is said to be in the 3K mile range on the big bikes, possibly a bit better than the TKC's.

Don't forget there's the Kenda Big block too. Melts like butter on tarmac. LOL. Maybe 1500-2K miles?

All of these knobby tires wear out fast. The TKC is probably the best, maybe ED09.

I have a couple of good riding buddies on GS's that bang them hard on dirt and have run all these tires, including the new Karro3, rally, BB, ed09, tkc, and K60. Although the rally is a great front, the rear is not so great.

The K60 has the longest wear. A lot of riders put up with them for their longevity. They're not that great on or off pavement. They wear like iron though, some reporting over 10K miles. You can't get that kind of wear without making the rubber really hard, and that means traction is sacrificed. They are also reported to be near impossible to break down in the field for tube repair and that's a big turn off for me with the tiger's tubes. For tubeless - great, just plug and go.

What would I run??? For a true knobby I'd go ED09 but nigh impossible to get here in US. So, then TKC. For an alaska trip K60, TKC front. Otherwise I'd just run the FullBoreUSA's for mild dirt running.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the new A3's and the Dunlop Trailmaxes.

So, keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #92
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
LOL. Try them all and then let us know which one is the best.

I wouldn't run any of the mitas other than their dakar designation - they have a sturdier carcass for off road. If you're not going to run them hard offroad then it doesn't matter. And anyway, you really should be looking at the 09 - it's the real knobby. Wear is said to be in the 3K mile range on the big bikes, possibly a bit better than the TKC's.

Don't forget there's the Kenda Big block too. Melts like butter on tarmac. LOL. Maybe 1500-2K miles?

All of these knobby tires wear out fast. The TKC is probably the best, maybe ED09.

I have a couple of good riding buddies on GS's that bang them hard on dirt and have run all these tires, including the new Karro3, rally, BB, ed09, tkc, and K60. Although the rally is a great front, the rear is not so great.

The K60 has the longest wear. A lot of riders put up with them for their longevity. They're not that great on or off pavement. They wear like iron though, some reporting over 10K miles. You can't get that kind of wear without making the rubber really hard, and that means traction is sacrificed. They are also reported to be near impossible to break down in the field for tube repair and that's a big turn off for me with the tiger's tubes. For tubeless - great, just plug and go.

What would I run??? For a true knobby I'd go ED09 but nigh impossible to get here in US. So, then TKC. For an alaska trip K60, TKC front. Otherwise I'd just run the FullBoreUSA's for mild dirt running.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the new A3's and the Dunlop Trailmaxes.

So, keep us posted.
Awesome info! I'll be swapping back an forth as I'm willing to run a K60/E-07 most the time, but have a knobby for BTR/color in the Catskills/GS challenge rides. Seing how I was hammer hard on the full bore's, I'm sure the Mitas will do well enough for me. Already ordered te E-07 so I'm committed, and a buddy runs the scout so we should be able to compare pretty well.

This is the TKC with 1700 miles
I'm the extreme case tester, more the destructive type

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #93
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Need Help With Tires

I will soon be in need of some new shoes for the Tiger. I came across these and must say they look pretty good to me!

What are your thoughts?
What's one has a "-L" at the end of the model and it's an extra $20... whats up with that?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/brid...152-rear-tires

http://www.revzilla.com/product/brid...2-l-rear-tires

Thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #94
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
I will soon be in need of some new shoes for the Tiger. I came across these and must say they look pretty good to me!

What are your thoughts?
What's one has a "-L" at the end of the model and it's an extra $20... whats up with that?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/brid...152-rear-tires

http://www.revzilla.com/product/brid...2-l-rear-tires

Thanks!
I have never heard of anyone liking trailwings.

There's about fifty tires they make they call trailwings (I kid) but I think the only one they called death wings were the ones that came on the DRZ400. Or maybe it was the 'strom. I dunno...if you're looking at a 50/50 tire like that try the K76, K60, Fullbores, or Tourance. That way you don't have to take a chance they're 'death wings'.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #95
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have never heard of anyone liking trailwings.

There's about fifty tires they make they call trailwings (I kid) but I think the only one they called death wings were the ones that came on the DRZ400. Or maybe it was the 'strom. I dunno...if you're looking at a 50/50 tire like that try the K76, K60, Fullbores, or Tourance. That way you don't have to take a chance they're 'death wings'.
haha good to know maybe that's why they had no review

I really wanted to try the Full Bores but have heard A LOT of mixed reviews.. have you tried em personally?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #96
BaddAndy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
Awesome info! I'll be swapping back an forth as I'm willing to run a K60/E-07 most the time, but have a knobby for BTR/color in the Catskills/GS challenge rides. Seing how I was hammer hard on the full bore's, I'm sure the Mitas will do well enough for me. Already ordered te E-07 so I'm committed, and a buddy runs the scout so we should be able to compare pretty well.

This is the TKC with 1700 miles
I'm the extreme case tester, more the destructive type
That's what mine looks like with 8,000 70mph street miles on it.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #97
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 99
After 16,500 miles, I'm into my 2nd read and 3rd front. Might try Heidi's when the rest of my tire stock is depleted. (Got 1 each to go.)
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #98
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
haha good to know maybe that's why they had no review

I really wanted to try the Full Bores but have heard A LOT of mixed reviews.. have you tried em personally?
About 6K miles on a set, the rear just won't wear all the way out. LOL. Going to replace it anyway. For $150 you really can't go wrong - get a set and try them out. IMO, the rear could be used universally, just change the front to match the majority of your terrain...like a TKC or rally for dirt routes, and then a good road tire, like a conti attack or tourance exp or something. The ONLY downside is you won't get 10k miles out of the rear. Probly not even 8K. Grip is surprising both on and off pavement. The front is just okay, not smooth like a road tire and not a knobby for dirt. About as good as a K60 front - meh. Both are easy to mount and balance. I like Michelin air-stop tubes. I have had tubes leak at the mold seams, brand new out of the box.

Like I say, I'm torn with just getting another FB for the rear, or get a front Anakee 3 to match a A3 rear I have. I'm just afraid they're not aggressive enough for the dirt routes we always seem to find. For road running I'm sure I'd be happy - wore out the scorpion trails that came with it and they are very good on road too.

I wouldn't run a K60 for three reasons:
1. rear sidewall is too stiff making field repairs next to impossible.
2. center bar makes it poor both on and off pavement. It was added to the tire design to give longevity. What good is that if it ruins the traction performance of the tire? The rubber is too hard too.
3. They're too expensive. Yeah, I know, long life and all. If you are doinga RTW and need it then great - it's probly the longest lasting tire made.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #99
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddAndy View Post
That's what mine looks like with 8,000 70mph street miles on it.

How do you like them at freeway speeds? Are they really noisy? Vibrations?
I do the majority of miles on freeway for the moment although my commuting may cut down quite a bit in the starting august as I am moving closer to school and work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norty01 View Post
After 16,500 miles, I'm into my 2nd read and 3rd front. Might try Heidi's when the rest of my tire stock is depleted. (Got 1 each to go.)

I might have missed something but what tire are you referring to?

Quote:
About 6K miles on a set, the rear just won't wear all the way out. LOL. Going to replace it anyway. For $150 you really can't go wrong - get a set and try them out. IMO, the rear could be used universally, just change the front to match the majority of your terrain...like a TKC or rally for dirt routes, and then a good road tire, like a conti attack or tourance exp or something. The ONLY downside is you won't get 10k miles out of the rear. Probly not even 8K. Grip is surprising both on and off pavement. The front is just okay, not smooth like a road tire and not a knobby for dirt. About as good as a K60 front - meh. Both are easy to mount and balance. I like Michelin air-stop tubes. I have had tubes leak at the mold seams, brand new out of the box.

Like I say, I'm torn with just getting another FB for the rear, or get a front Anakee 3 to match a A3 rear I have. I'm just afraid they're not aggressive enough for the dirt routes we always seem to find. For road running I'm sure I'd be happy - wore out the scorpion trails that came with it and they are very good on road too.

I wouldn't run a K60 for three reasons:
1. rear sidewall is too stiff making field repairs next to impossible.
2. center bar makes it poor both on and off pavement. It was added to the tire design to give longevity. What good is that if it ruins the traction performance of the tire? The rubber is too hard too.
3. They're too expensive. Yeah, I know, long life and all. If you are doinga RTW and need it then great - it's probly the longest lasting tire made.

6k isn't bad at all. I am at 8700 I think on the scorpions and I have one or two spots that have little to no tread. The front looks pretty good still... Maybe half way? Might try the FB while my front is still good and then get a full set of something. When I get a garage of my own I might just start changing my tires so I can have the 705s for commuting and twisties and a something like the A3 or tkc80 for the off road days. :)

The front though is a different story. Considering I ride pretty hard with the gf and sometimes luggage in the back, I really need something good for the front. That's why I am looking for at the Tourance ones you suggested... I really wanna be sure there are no possibilities of slipping with all that weight. I'd rather spend a little more money and have the piece of mind and security of some good shoes on Daisy.

The K60 were not a thought of mine for the reasons you mentioned and more! Just haven't heard many consistently positive things about em... Pity because I really like the way they look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #100
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 945
One of these days boinoodle will chime in, but I've never heard an experienced tiger rider speak so highly of a tire.

The Mitas E07 seems to be the winner all around. It's stable on any dirt terrain, very good on road and gets good mileage. I'm probably going to go half way with my k60 rear before I switch. The tkc80 front is great but will give the scorpion rally a short for comparison. If you've ever ridden with the noodle, you'd know he takes his tiger in places where it shouldn't go. The mitas E07 somehow seems to keep up.

sent from my portable multipurpose communicator

btao screwed with this post 04-22-2014 at 04:44 AM
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #101
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
One of these days boinoodle will chime in, but I've never heard an experienced tiger rider speak so highly of a tire.

The Mitas E07 seems to be the winner all around. It's stable on any dirt terrain, very good on road and gets good mileage. I'm probably going to go half way with my k60 rear before I switch. The tkc80 front is great but will give the scorpion rally a short for comparison. If you've ever ridden with the noodle, you'd know he takes his tiger in places where it shouldn't go. The mitas E07 somehow seems to keep up.

That's a great looking tire, I'm sure it's a good alternative. Out of curiosity I just shopped Canada MX1 and they are out of stock on the 150-17 in both regular and dakar versions.

It's very similar looking to the Fullbore, perhaps a bit more aggressive which I would be fine with - I don't think these 50-50 tires work on the front very well for off pavement going. There you really need the TKC or Rally, the former being much better for road.

Also, you're looking at just over $300 shipped for the Mitas...if you can get them. That's two full sets of Fullbores. That would give you two 'new tire' miles. The FB is really a nice tire when it's new, grips like a mutha. But obviously the compound is not as hard as the Mitas or Heidi's, so at 4-5K miles they are showing at least 50% wear. At 5K you can just put a new set on.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #102
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Yeah that was another option i was looking at too. I love the look and heard fantastic review on several bigger bikes... GS1200, S10, Vstrom 1000, and the Tiger. So seems like a good alternative. I might give that a try next up assuming i can get my hands on em!

Thanks for the input! Really appreciate it!

Browneye i will be going to Canada in August, if we still don't have a pair by then i will buy us both a set and ship em from WA
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #103
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
That's a great looking tire, I'm sure it's a good alternative. Out of curiosity I just shopped Canada MX1 and they are out of stock on the 150-17 in both regular and dakar versions.

It's very similar looking to the Fullbore, perhaps a bit more aggressive which I would be fine with - I don't think these 50-50 tires work on the front very well for off pavement going. There you really need the TKC or Rally, the former being much better for road.

Also, you're looking at just over $300 shipped for the Mitas...if you can get them. That's two full sets of Fullbores. That would give you two 'new tire' miles. The FB is really a nice tire when it's new, grips like a mutha. But obviously the compound is not as hard as the Mitas or Heidi's, so at 4-5K miles they are showing at least 50% wear. At 5K you can just put a new set on.
Well.... I guess do you want performance first or cost first? Do you want to go more places confidently and be happy or know that you made a frugal decision....

btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #104
2 Dogs
2 Dogs

Oddometer: 97
I've been running the TKC front/EO7 back with great success. I'll stay with this combo for 50/50 riding.
2 Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #105
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Well.... I guess do you want performance first or cost first? Do you want to go more places confidently and be happy or know that you made a frugal decision....

You're missing the point. You can't even get them right now. This has been my bone of contention with Mitas for a number of years - lack of availability in the US. So they are completely off my radar. If I could order a set from Americanmototire.com, or Revzilla, or MCSS, I might be inclined to try a set. In the meantime, my point was the performance envelope appears to be very similar to the Fullbore USA - which are half the cost and easy to get. I've already tested them for about 6K miles and they are very good, have a strong following. And there's merit to having a 'new' tire of any sort, so with the FB's you get a 'new' tire twice in the same amount of time. I'll take a new FB over a half-used anything, any time.

I'm not concerned with going places, I'm gonna do that regardless of the tire. But like you, I do sweat the details and ponder what tire is going to match the terrain I'm likely to see on a given adventure. A good example is coming up end of May - road trip of about 1200 miles, probly some dirt exploring in the middle. Do do I run an aggressive offroad tire for all those miles to give me prime traction in the dirt sections? Or do I run a good 80/20 tire that's good on the road and just deal with getting them over the dirt sections?

Additionally, NONE of these pseudo dirt tires on the front are worth a crap on dirt. Just about anything will work on the back unless you're doing hill climbs. The knobbier they are the worse they are on the road.

See what I'm getting at?