ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #121
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,790
Damn that sucks on the valve issue!!! FWIW, I dont adjust pressure when riding in dirt, rather modify positioning and posture I guess. I usually run between 25-30 psi everywhere.

I'm about to turn over 3500 miles on my first set of K3's with about half tread left on the rear. Front still looks brand new. Sweet freaking tire! When they burn out I'll buy another set.

I'll post up pics later.
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #122
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
...I'm about to turn over 3500 miles on my first set of K3's with about half tread left on the rear. Front still looks brand new. Sweet freaking tire! When they burn out I'll buy another set.

I'll post up pics later.
Good to know. I've been trying to find a tire for my Roadie for when the OEM Scorpion Trails are done. I got 9k mi on them now, and am probably good for another 2-3k. On the road I have no complaints about the Scorpions, but would really like something a little bit more aggressive, both in off-road performance and looks. If I can reasonably expect to get ~7-8k mi out of a K3, I'd like to give it a try. If not, I'm thinking Mitas E07 (but are these radials?). Last choice would be Anakee 3s, but am wondering if they would be any better in the dirt than the Scorpion Trails.
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #123
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Good to know. I've been trying to find a tire for my Roadie for when the OEM Scorpion Trails are done. I got 9k mi on them now, and am probably good for another 2-3k. On the road I have no complaints about the Scorpions, but would really like something a little bit more aggressive, both in off-road performance and looks. If I can reasonably expect to get ~7-8k mi out of a K3, I'd like to give it a try. If not, I'm thinking Mitas E07 (but are these radials?). Last choice would be Anakee 3s, but am wondering if they would be any better in the dirt than the Scorpion Trails.

If I get 5k out of the rear its a full years use for me of go anywhere do whatever I want riding bliss. The last thing I want is to worry if I have the right tire for the job. I figure I'll change oil and buy a new rear tire once a year during the spring, then a front once every two.
__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #124
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker
 
Dubl-A's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 505
Oddometer: 1,790
Karoo 3's wear report

Here you go you FF's, about 34xx miles so far. Interstate, fire roads, gravel and all usually with a passenger...



__________________
Keep your $0.02 if it ain't going towards the bill
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #125
TonyLoco24
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)
Oddometer: 23
Want to maintain my on-road riding style w/ better off-road tires than battlewings

I've got an 800 XC w/ Bridgestone Battlewings currently on it. I'm really looking for something that can handle the dirt (gravel roads, fire roads, single and two track) better than the Bwings. I've gone very far down the "best tire" rabbit hole on a bunch of these forums trying to research it w/o posting yet another version of the same damn question that's been asked 10 million times, but there's really no good way to get any useful information that's not instantly contradicted by someone else. Even people's definitions vary widely. One man's "hauling ass" is another man's "riding like my grandmother rides her wheelchair." Point is there are a million different variables that contribute to each person's experience and that makes their experience unique, and w/out any way to control for those variables it makes gleaning any useful info very difficult. With that in mind, I'll attempt to describe what I would like to find in a tire under what circumstances, and hopefully some folks will have a solid recommendation based on those parameters (If I sound like some sort of geeky scientist...well, guilty). Here goes:

On the Battlewings, going through a 50 mi stretch of dry, for-the-most part-smooth road that is nothing but high speed sweepers, hairpins, and everything in between (for those that have had the pleasure of riding it, think HWY1 through the Big Sur area of CA), I will usually inadvertently scrape peg 2-4 times. For me that's "having a blast" type of riding not "enjoying the scenery" riding. When they do scrape it's usually when I have to lean just a tiny tad bit further than I was planning/wanting to in order to be able to keep my line w/o having to back off the throttle. In other words, leaning to the point of scraping peg is just a tiny tiny bit outside my comfort zone.

So given that riding style/skill level, could I still ride like that on the road w/ Heidenau K60 Scouts? If not, what do you recommend that would allow me to maintain that same type of road riding, but is at least better in the dirt (gravel roads, fire roads, single and two track, water crossing here and there) than the Battlewings? I'm not asking them to perform like TKC 80's, so save the snarky comments about wanting cake and eating it too. I'm not asking for nor expecting Dakar worthy. Fact is Bwings are worthless for anything other than sunny paved roads, and even on pavement they sure as hell aren't winning any awards. Also it's not like I'm some Moto GP champ so for me there's got to be SOMETHING better for the dirt that doesn't involve sacrificing what I ask of the Bwings on pavement. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
TonyLoco24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #126
Windy Rider
Pussy Power
 
Windy Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ulverstone, Tasmania
Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLoco24 View Post
I've got an 800 XC w/ Bridgestone Battlewings currently on it. I'm really looking for something that can handle the dirt (gravel roads, fire roads, single and two track) better than the Bwings. I've gone very far down the "best tire" rabbit hole on a bunch of these forums trying to research it w/o posting yet another version of the same damn question that's been asked 10 million times, but there's really no good way to get any useful information that's not instantly contradicted by someone else. Even people's definitions vary widely. One man's "hauling ass" is another man's "riding like my grandmother rides her wheelchair." Point is there are a million different variables that contribute to each person's experience and that makes their experience unique, and w/out any way to control for those variables it makes gleaning any useful info very difficult. With that in mind, I'll attempt to describe what I would like to find in a tire under what circumstances, and hopefully some folks will have a solid recommendation based on those parameters (If I sound like some sort of geeky scientist...well, guilty). Here goes:

On the Battlewings, going through a 50 mi stretch of dry, for-the-most part-smooth road that is nothing but high speed sweepers, hairpins, and everything in between (for those that have had the pleasure of riding it, think HWY1 through the Big Sur area of CA), I will usually inadvertently scrape peg 2-4 times. For me that's "having a blast" type of riding not "enjoying the scenery" riding. When they do scrape it's usually when I have to lean just a tiny tad bit further than I was planning/wanting to in order to be able to keep my line w/o having to back off the throttle. In other words, leaning to the point of scraping peg is just a tiny tiny bit outside my comfort zone.

So given that riding style/skill level, could I still ride like that on the road w/ Heidenau K60 Scouts? If not, what do you recommend that would allow me to maintain that same type of road riding, but is at least better in the dirt (gravel roads, fire roads, single and two track, water crossing here and there) than the Battlewings? I'm not asking them to perform like TKC 80's, so save the snarky comments about wanting cake and eating it too. I'm not asking for nor expecting Dakar worthy. Fact is Bwings are worthless for anything other than sunny paved roads, and even on pavement they sure as hell aren't winning any awards. Also it's not like I'm some Moto GP champ so for me there's got to be SOMETHING better for the dirt that doesn't involve sacrificing what I ask of the Bwings on pavement. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
After riding with the battle wings for a while, putting a more off road worthy tyre on you will defiantly notice the difference. I run a TKC 80 on the front and a K60 on the rear. I have been getting 10,000+ out of this combination and have just put the third set on, but this time I'm putting a Mitas E 07 on the rear, just to try something different, my mate has one on his Tiger and seemed to have more grip in places on the last ride. I ride every thing you have stated above and have no trouble scraping the foot when I'm having a crack. I don't have any probs in the wet either, of course I ease off a bit in town in the wet
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger xc

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #127
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,071
Tiger XC tires

Fullbore USA.

I like the Anakee3 a little better but it's more road oriented. I have one on the rear with a FB front, will probly go TKC up there for the HOW route - 3K miles of dirt two-track.The A3 works fine all around.

The Pirelli Scorpion Trails are a very good 90/10 tire as well, and if you're willing to air down a bit for a long dirt segment they are quite surprising.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #128
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,674
+1 on the Full Bores (M41 on the front, M40 on the rear).

I'll warn you in advance that they will feel very different from the Battlewings. The Battlewings tend to want to stand back up as you exit a corner; the FBs are very neutral-feeling. They fall into corners and feel stable through them; I actually like their handling better than the Battlewings.

They work great on pavement once you get used to them, and will easily hold lean angles that erase the chicken strips from the edges of the tread. A friend of mine with a Tiger 800 Roadie who has a very sporty riding style has been convinced to switch from pure street tires to FBs after following me through West Virginia and watching the FBs not holding me back at all in the twisties.

And yet the FBs also work far better on dirt than they look like they should.

Combine their performance with their price (less than $150/set), and they're impossible to turn down. They've become my standard tire on my XC.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #129
btao
RIP Lilolita
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 1,010
As mentioned, simply airing down a set of scorp trails would probably get you the difference, but only on dry, not too technical fire roads and trails. That would let you keep the same feel of the on-road performance you are used to.

That said, I drag my pegs with my TKC80 front and K60 Rears, no problem. But they feel much different. They will however, get you anywhere on the dirt you would ever want, again, airing down. Just plan to do that, so get a little packable pump and stash it under the seat. The slime pumps fit.

I'm planning on trying the Mitas E-07 rear as well next time, and one nice difference, is that they have a slightly more rounded profile than the K60, so should help that cornering transition.

The other thing worth noting, is that the K60's suck balls on wet roads, and wet logs/roots. The center connected tread robs you of that confidence. It's a hard tire. I cut the centers out of mine, and didn't have a problem last ride through endless mud, rocks and roots, so if you don't mind modding your new tire, that would work fine. Or, just get the E-07, if you can find one.

The K60 is a very good tire, but still needs to be aired down to 23-25psi in the dirt to work best, and then 32-36psi street. Same for the fronts. If you ride really hard and fast over super rough stuff, then up that a few psi.

Compared to others on similar bikes running some of the same tires you guys are talking about, these should far outlast and outperform. Especially against the A3's, K3's, TKC80 rear, and a few others. You may find a few more aggressive dirt tires, but won't likely be able to handle the street stuff you like. The Shinkos 705's and the Fullbore's won't be as capable in the dirt, and you don't gain much on the street, but they are a lot cheaper, if that's your thing.
__________________
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #130
findlj
How much fun is that
 
findlj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Missouri
Oddometer: 87
I've been running the Heidenau K60 Scouts for a couple of years. I've ridden on the road in the rain quite a bit, even in temps in the high 30's. I have no issue with how they ride in the rain. I usually run pressures of 26-32 rear and 22-28 front.

I find the front K60 is louder than I like on some of the roads I ride though. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the Scouts. I am considering running the TKC 80 on the front with a Scout on the rear cuz I'm hearing so many good things about that combo.
__________________
I did it. I'm glad I did it. I'm gonna do it again if I get the chance!
findlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #131
Timothy Blomquist
Adventurer
 
Timothy Blomquist's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Farmington, New Mexico USA
Oddometer: 16
I have Heidenau K60 Scouts on my 2012 Tiger 800XC. So far 7700 miles and lots of tread left.
__________________
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2011 Kawasaki KLR-650
2011 Kawasaki KLX-140
1972 Honda CT70HK1 -Restored (orginal owner)
Timothy Blomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #132
75bronco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: East TN
Oddometer: 303
For you guys doing a lot of gravel, are you running a heavy duty tube in the rear or just a standard thickness? Its a k60 on a 800xc tiger.
75bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #133
Windy Rider
Pussy Power
 
Windy Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ulverstone, Tasmania
Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75bronco View Post
For you guys doing a lot of gravel, are you running a heavy duty tube in the rear or just a standard thickness? Its a k60 on a 800xc tiger.
I run Heavy Duty tubes in front and rear, Continental TKC80 front & Heidenau K60 scout rear. never had any problem with then over any terrain
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger xc

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #134
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,071
4mm innertubes?

I used to run ultra-heavy tubes in all my dirtbikes, the 4mm ones. The thought is they would resist pinch flats and thorns better. If you get a nail thru the tire it makes no difference.

But there are trade offs...
1. Extra heat on a road bike. The thick tubes don't dissapate heat as well. It is imperative to run sufficient air in the rear if carrying cargo to keep it from overheating. I have seen a K60 completely disintegrate the tube - and I mean crumbles of rubber bits and a shredded tire where the cords in the bead came out.
2. A 4mm tube is harder to insert into the tire, it's not as plyable and much more difficult to get the air valve thru. Not a deal breaker but it's there. Fortunately the wide rear rim of the Tiger makes this less of an issue. Again, with a K60 and their stiff sidewall they can be very difficult to mount. The good news is you only need one bead off to get the tube out to patch it or replace it. Fitting it into the front can be a challenge at times compared to a regular 3mm tube.
3. Extra weight - they are quite a bit heavier which is all unsprung weight, again less of an issue on the tiger since it's no lightweight dirtbike anyway.

Like I say, I used to run them and now just regular tubes, carry spares for front and back. My favorite, especially for the Tiger rear, is the Michelin Air-Stop. The quality is excellent both in material and construction. Close second are Pirelli, Dunlop, Bridgestone. You can keep the chinese junky tubes thank you.

Just my two-cents.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #135
ElJefeATX
notPirateJohn
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 3,228
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!!!i!!!

What can it BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE??????



GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!i!!!!



Fun time!!!
ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014