Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
Schatzman
I Saved Latin

Oddometer: 3,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Hey you kids................get off my lawn.......

Schatzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspell68 View Post
Buy a new one in any color, bring it over one weekend, and I'll show you how to hook it up...

P.S., Ural hasn't made a military bike in 50-60 years!
And the real ones would've never been painted in small camo pattern.

You could always buy a Zundapp KS-750 or BMW R-75, they have them.
Why stop with five?!?!?
Go ahead and make it a six-speed because most everyone else wants a five speed with a better top gear for riding them on the highways like they were never designed to do.
It shouldn't cost much to add a granny-lo and an overdrive gear and still keep reverse.

I was only interested in seeing the possibility of a lower first gear. I don't own one, but before I ever did I'd like to see a lower first to avoid burning clutches - which I hear they do one long off-road pilgrimages. Then again, perhaps I am misinformed.
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
The clutch has been upgraded to one built by Sachs. Still not a rock crawler, but will withstand far more abuse.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 231
Crap. I just said somewhere that if they offered financing I would get one. tears of joy. Maybe they will offer 0% promotions

I love the disk brake upgrade. Any reason to shy away from the EFI on this? Maybe wait a year and hope any hiccups are resolved?

I like carbs and I like EFI. Both have pros and cons.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Stop the madness!!!

I understand that there's some EPA and DOT regs that Ural has to meet to sell in the USA and similarly abroad, but if you want a bike with all that crap on it, go buy a BMW or something.
Well, you stopped the madness... you are demanding Ural build a bike that can't be ridden on the road. Good call!

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
Well, you stopped the madness... you are demanding Ural build a bike that can't be ridden on the road. Good call!
Maybe it must be ridden off road Just kidding

In all seriousness, I can't wait for the 2014. I'll ride down to Heindl Eng. to look at them Wonder what the color schemes are going to be (apparently not camo). I liked the special addition OD green one (Taija?) and the tan one (Sahara). Those should be standard color options IMO.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
Mike Goldthorpe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thanks!

Quote:
Stop the madness!!!

Urals and Dneprs usta be a cheap, cool hobby until all these interlopers started crying for Honda reliabilty.
Before the new 750cc engine came out about 10 years ago, an brand new 650cc Ural engine was $450 and a gearbox $250! Even at that time you coundn't buy a set of HD chrome pipes for that! I don't know the actual price, but I'd bet a new 750cc engine and gearbox will now set you back $3K-$4K!!! Hell, the flippin' alternator on a Ural now cost $650!!!

Now, thanks to noobs wanting EFI, disk brakes, jet propulsion and flux capacitors the average guy who could turn a wrench has been priced out of a cool hobby. Thanks for making the Ural into something it's not.
Ustabe, if you broke something on your Ural or Dnepr YOU replaced it dirt cheap and moved along until the next break down. Not so anymore; tow it to a dealership hundreds of miles away.

I understand that there's some EPA and DOT regs that Ural has to meet to sell in the USA and similarly abroad, but if you want a bike with all that crap on it, go buy a BMW or something.
You have put in words my very feelings. My M66 is slowly becoming as pricy as my R50/2 to fix.
Mike Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
The Rat
trust me!

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
I like old stuff and I like some new stuff; check my sig.
FI on a roller type bearing motor is a bit like turbocharging a push mower; well, that's my vodka induced opinion.
. With Ural's quality control, making the bike more complex (add at least $1,500 to the base price...) should work well. Remember, FI means a fuel pump and a 'black box', sensors, etc... Oh, no kick starting a bike with a weak battery (you need enough to spool up the fuel pump). All for what? To eliminate the choke? With tranny issues and FD issues already, they aren't going to make any power bump....
Disk all around? "Stopping" a Ural has never been a big issue...making it "go" however....

Just pretending to be a poseur
2009 Triumph Scrambler "Harvey Mushman"SOLD
2009 Suzuki DR650 SOLD 1975 BMW R75/6 café SOLD
2012 Ural Patrol "Bad Penny" 2004 R1150 GS blue/white
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #24
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
FI means a fuel pump and a 'black box', sensors, etc... Oh, no kick starting a bike with a weak battery (you need enough to spool up the fuel pump). All for what? To eliminate the choke? With tranny issues and FD issues already, they aren't going to make any power bump....
Disk all around? "Stopping" a Ural has never been a big issue...making it "go" however....
FI probably isn't an attempt to increase power. It just makes it much easier to meet emissions standards. It should also improve fuel economy.

If you honestly don't think stopping a Ural is an issue I'm going to stop taking your posts at face value.

I don't own a Ural, but I've driven 2. One of them quite a bit. Both owners advised me to "plan your stops" and they were right. The discs will be a big improvement, and FI is a necessary evil.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
The Rat
trust me!

Oddometer: 62
Yes, the stopping part is a joke. A lot of them don't need any brakes at all.

Emission standards are brutal world wide. Yes, FI is much easier to maintain consistent emissions. At some point, people will balk at paying the premium for a substandard bike. But....Harley has sold millions with under engineered bikes and over hyped "lifestyle"....

Just pretending to be a poseur
2009 Triumph Scrambler "Harvey Mushman"SOLD
2009 Suzuki DR650 SOLD 1975 BMW R75/6 café SOLD
2012 Ural Patrol "Bad Penny" 2004 R1150 GS blue/white
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
The fun to be had on these rigs when they happen to be working is amazing. I had a lot of issues with my 2010, sold it. It's like a bipolar bike. When it's up, it's way up, when its down, it's way depressing. I have a new vstrom that will probably never give me any issues, but its also never fun, so it will be gone soon.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #27
Zojirushi
Surly Sailor

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
I have a new vstrom that will probably never give me any issues, but its also never fun, so it will be gone soon.

I agree. The issues with Urals lie mainly in the FD. I could easily lock all the tires on mine at any time, and she started on the first kick every time in any temp. The fact that price was mentioned multiple times in that broadcast gives me the heeby jeebies.
Zojirushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #28
chukzelda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
A see a lot of parallels with what Royal Enfield has been doing in the past few years. They did some great design upgrades but they also increased the price beyond what most people were willing to pay.

I've owned a 2004 Ural - thought it was great, no problems. Ural has been increasing prices on their bikes over time and the market segment who can afford them is shrinking. Again, the upgrades they are doing are great, the price increase is not.

peace
Chuk
chukzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #29
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukzelda View Post
the price increase is not.
Are they supposed to do it for free?

How many years do you think it's going to take for Ural to get back what they have put into r&d for these new rigs?

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #30
M-Cat
2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer: 338
How many years do you think it's going to take for Ural to get back what they have put into r&d for these new rigs?[/QUOTE]

Very true, but it's just the nature of business.
The price is getting to the point, though, that a lot of people will shy away. Getting close to $20,000 for a new Ural-ouch! Most people that would spend that much really don't want to "sort things out". Yes, the quality is way better, but the lower price has been the Ural's saving grace thus far for people wanting to try a sidecar. It will be interesting to see how their sales are in the coming years.

Just my opinion.