All makes and models welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand...04561802964090

VINTAGEBIKE DAYS POSTER by albaljeu, on Flickr
appiebroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #92
farmrjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Ooh, that looks like a good excuse for a road trip. Too bad it's not in June when I have my vacation but will still see if I can make it work.
farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #93
fjdowling
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodaryl View Post
Hi Easyrider,
I too am in Australia, Melbourne in fact, is that the bike that Penna Motorcycles had ?? I purchased the first one that they put on Ebay, the second one went for $2950.00 I think. I never saw the third. Shoot me an email, promctun@bigpond.net.au and we can compare bikes. I have a ton of info that I have gathered over a period of time. I would be interested in that starter gear set up, so could agro also please email me with a costing. Thanks Daryl.
Hi Daryl and EasyriderAUS, I bought the second TX750 that Greg Penna had for sale. Paid $2900AUD for it and am happy with the purchase. Apart from the usual things to be replaced, tyres, cables etc I did need to replace the stator and regulator (wasn't charging). All other bits worked. My starter clutch is good, but I like Agro's upgrade and would like to find out more. Daryl, have you heard of the TXDU closed group on facebook, worth a look. I suspect that EasyriderAUS has been invited. I'll email you later. Cheers fjdowling
fjdowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #94
fjdowling
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by argo1974 View Post
Little update to starter clutches. These will be different design, fully hardened to 55 HRC and come with special bolts.

Hi Argo1974, I've read the posts on your redesigned starter clutch, looks impressive. Are you going to produce and sell these, if so I would be interested in purchasing one. How can you be contacted? Please advise, cheers, fjdowling
Old 05-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #95
EasyRiderAUS
Strider

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjdowling View Post
Hi Daryl and EasyriderAUS, I bought the second TX750 that Greg Penna had for sale. Paid $2900AUD for it and am happy with the purchase. Apart from the usual things to be replaced, tyres, cables etc I did need to replace the stator and regulator (wasn't charging). All other bits worked. My starter clutch is good, but I like Agro's upgrade and would like to find out more. Daryl, have you heard of the TXDU closed group on facebook, worth a look. I suspect that EasyriderAUS has been invited. I'll email you later. Cheers fjdowling
Hi Frank, yes I purchased the 3rd TX750 from Penna Motorcycles in Bendigo. It wasn't advertised. It was Les Penna, the Yamaha Dealer Principal personal ride up until his death in 2003. At least it was one of his bikes that he had road registered and would ride regularly. I was the only other bidder on the TX you won on EBay .. I was the first bid and Greg Penna phoned me after the auction to see if I had won it. During the call he told me they still had his late father's bike and invited me to inspect it. Long story short , I paid a handsome premium to get Les's bike. I had known Les and his sons for about 40 years- I purchased a new DT360A from them in 1974. (Which I still have). Richard and Greg said they were pleased their father's bike was going to me, humorously a customer of 39 years. I am not sure why I didn't see or get notified of your posting earlier. I have since seen 2 photos of your bike since you cleaned, polished and got it running. It looks sharp.
EasyRiderAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #96
fjdowling
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRiderAUS View Post
Hi Frank, yes I purchased the 3rd TX750 from Penna Motorcycles in Bendigo. It wasn't advertised. It was Les Penna, the Yamaha Dealer Principal personal ride up until his death in 2003. At least it was one of his bikes that he had road registered and would ride regularly. I was the only other bidder on the TX you won on EBay .. I was the first bid and Greg Penna phoned me after the auction to see if I had won it. During the call he told me they still had his late father's bike and invited me to inspect it. Long story short , I paid a handsome premium to get Les's bike. I had known Les and his sons for about 40 years- I purchased a new DT360A from them in 1974. (Which I still have). Richard and Greg said they were pleased their father's bike was going to me, humorously a customer of 39 years. I am not sure why I didn't see or get notified of your posting earlier. I have since seen 2 photos of your bike since you cleaned, polished and got it running. It looks sharp.
Thanks EasyriderAUS,I think I know your alias from posts on the TXDU facebook page. I have spoken with DynoDaryl as well. It's good to know that Les's bikes have all gone to enthusiasts. I'd been looking for a TX for several years. One day we might catch up at a TXDU rally.

I hope that Argo will post further details on his starter clutch - it looks good and together with Michael's starter chain tensioner would be a great upgrade. There's no reason why the TX750 couldn't be a reliable bike as long as you realise that it is not a race bike. Leave that role to Yamaha's FZ models. Cheers, Frank
Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #97
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Thanks EasyriderAUS,I think I know your alias from posts on the TXDU facebook page. I have spoken with DynoDaryl as well. It's good to know that Les's bikes have all gone to enthusiasts. I'd been looking for a TX for several years. One day we might catch up at a TXDU rally.

I hope that Argo will post further details on his starter clutch - it looks good and together with Michael's starter chain tensioner would be a great upgrade. There's no reason why the TX750 couldn't be a reliable bike as long as you realise that it is not a race bike. Leave that role to Yamaha's FZ models. Cheers, Frank

Whats this about a starter chain tensioner.

Is it like the one in this thread.
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #98
CalsXS2 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:

Is the TXDU site you mention the Australian site tx750 down under?
CalsXS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #99
fjdowling
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsXS2 View Post
Is the TXDU site you mention the Australian site tx750 down under?
Yes CalsXS2, that's the one.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:44 AM   #100
fjdowling
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalsXS2 View Post
Whats this about a starter chain tensioner.

Is it like the one in this thread.
Yes similar but with more detail aon the guide material used and fixing. Worth a look.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #101
argo1974
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Well guys, today I brought the starter clutches to the hardening company to have the outer rings hardened to 55-60 HRC. There are 98 pieces left as I used 2 for final testing (machining, heat treating, etc. and actually testing on the bike itself). The outer rings will arrive within a week so I'm able to start selling the clutches shortly. Final price $110 + shipping (most countries, e.g. USA, is $10). I can accept Paypal and/or bank transfer. Please order through email argo1974@hot.ee

Also, I will keep small stock of spares, so in case of problems, all parts (outer rings, sprags and screws) will be separately available.
Attached two pictures of the product before heat treating the outer rings. 6x M8x1.25 countersunk Torx screws of 10.9 ISO grade.

Regards,
Argo
argo1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #102
argo1974
Adventurer

Finally, I hold the ready product in my hands. Yesterday, the outer rings arrived tempered/annealed to 58 HRC.
Actual orders received so far will be shipped out today and/or after receiving Paypal payments.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:32 AM   #103
Pardee
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Can't wait to install mine.

I'm sure I speak for anyone who has been dealing with a faulty starter clutch for years.... THANK YOU ARGO!
Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #104
argo1974
Adventurer

Final product looks this (screws not tightened yet):
Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #105
fjdowling
n00b

[QUOTE=argo1974;24463084]Final product looks this (screws not tightened yet):

Hi Argo, just about to start drilling and tapping the rotor for your starter clutch. Yamaha has factory drilled several holes in the back face of the rotor, probably for balancing. Does it matter if the new 8mm screw fixings are through the thinner back so that you avoid Yamaha's holes. This photo suggests that it's OK to drill through the thinner metal sections. Is that so? Thanks , Frank