User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,548
Hey Ursa Major
I was a long time BMW rider and last April, I decided I'd had a gutfull of the never ending shifting in the traffic here in crappy SoCal, and decided to sell off my flawless 2005 R1200RT (red of course) and bought a very slightly used white 2012 Burgman 650 ABS Executive. The automatic CVT is nothing short of awesome. It starts to move out way easier than the BMW scoots. It handles the freeway speeds effortlessly and 90mph is easy. With 59 liters of storage UNDER the seat, it has more capacity than my RT with both panniers AND the small topcase. I'm very happy with the new ride.
On the DOWNSIDE though, there are some areas where it comes up a bit short, but all are addressable. Since I came off of riding 3 BMW bikes (2005 F650GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2005 R1200RT) I was used to the VERY smooth ride. Forget about that on the 650. The suspension, I'm absolutely positive, was designed by the same guy who built the Conestoga wagons 150 years ago. It is quite simply, awful. But different shocks and fork tweaking can (I've heard) fix all this. I've added a Laminar Lip to the electric windshield and the buffeting is now way less. The smallish 4 gallon fuel tank is good for about 150 miles, which is no biggie. The engine will NOT run with the sidestand down, which is an inconvenience. The bike is HEAVY! Only about 30 pounds lighter than my RT and 100 pounds heavier than R1200GS. Because of the nature of the CVT, it is a tad hard to push around the garage.
But all in all, I really like it. It has put the "fun" back in riding.
I have never had ANY issues keeping up with my riding buddies in any of our rides. It corners on the twisties simply awesomely. The CG is soooo low it is like its on rails.
OH...did I mention the Burgman CVT has a paddle shifting MANUAL mode?? Lots of fun to use if you were so inclined.
Having said all that (whew) the ride and windshield issues are no worse than the BMW scoots. They sucked too in my test rides on them.
Find a slightly used one!!! I got mine at a large dealership with only 2900 miles on the odo and saved over $4000 OTD compared to brand new. I bought a 48 month no mileage extended warranty for $499. My TOTAL OTD cost was $8999. A new one will hurt you to the tune $12500 OTD.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I hope this helps you some.
Regards
Bernd

2013 Honda NC700X-DCT (Red of course )
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I don't bother with the button shifting on my Lardy, but I discovered the "Power"
button while riding with some sportier riders in the mountains last week.

I had read about using it but had never tried it, the transformation of the bike was truly enlightening in both down hill and up hill twisties
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
I don't bother with the button shifting on my Lardy, but I discovered the "Power"
button while riding with some sportier riders in the mountains last week.

I had read about using it but had never tried it, the transformation of the bike was truly enlightening in both down hill and up hill twisties
Same here. I thought the idea of the "power" mode was kinda goofy until I tried it at Deal's Gap. It works and it works very well.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote