ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
PDXPapaBear OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Crazy In The Head... Winter Camping?

So, the skies are looking clear this weekend. I have Sunday and Monday off and would like to take a swing at some cold ass camping. Suppose I would bring a few Dry Logs along to help start a fire when the right spot is reached.

This idea is about as old as this post is, so I figure I would see if anyone was interested? I would not be riding to anywhere to insane as I am on a KLR but with the past summer I had and not ever being able to doing something for myself, I guess now is the time while the going is slow.

OK. so where to?
PDXPapaBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,018
Baja?

Just kidding. I tried to convince a couple other riders this past weekend to campout at the coast, common sense prevailed. Weather is often are a little more mild, but a lot more wet over there.

The State Parks can be nice in the winter as you sometimes have access to Dry Firewood and Warm Showers - and even a Yurt if things turn really nasty.

Someplace with walking distance to a pub is good as well - Think the RV park across from the Pelican brewery in Pacific City...Actually that's barely camping...more like sleeping in a tent with a nearby hot tub. Vista park where Wet Fest occured could be nice also, you have a store and restaurant/bar withing walking distance as well.

True camping in the forest is cool to, just harder to source dry wood in our wet PNW. Could head to the dry side...but damn...it's cold over there. How's yer bushcraft skills, if you can conjour up a fire camping in the deep woods sure is nice. Again, I'd choose coast range over hood to avoid snow.

Look for "Snow Camp" to happen in a couple of Months (See "Sound Rider").

I'm out this weekend, but if a milder one comes along, with showers or better, post it up again, I'm itching to get out. In fact, my winter Underquilt for my Hammock should be here soon, so you aren't the only crazy one.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703

Scott_PDX screwed with this post 11-14-2014 at 09:05 AM
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 655
Don't be pussy's you wet siders. Get out and camp. We camped last weekend and it was mid-20's in the early morning hours.. One of the best trips this season.

I however am going to be a pussy this weekend, 8 inches of snow in the desert with highs around 20 and the lows in the single didgits.

Time to watch a few games.
effensteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
PDXPapaBear OP
Adventurer

If it gets done it will be out near the coast. Wet yes but as long as i bring a couple of dry logs and some starter (aka gas and ivory soap) i should be able to keep a fire going as needed. BushCraft Skillz are OK.

Thinkin Elk Bend of Fan Creek... temps are gonna be cold for sure. But I guess I want to see how I would fair.? ????

We will see ;) more to plan if its gonna happen

Cheers
Old 11-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 550
Keeping warm is easy. Bubble wrap, ground pad, silk liner inside sleeping bag and a 55 gallon Hefty Lawn&Garden bag around all of it to trap warmth.

Oh, and don't forget something for the top of your head, stocking cap. Makes a critical difference when it's below 35 degrees.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
PDXPapaBear OP
Adventurer

and I guess It could just turn into a cold fun ride on SUNDAY. Wind Therapy at Best.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXPapaBear View Post
If it gets done it will be out near the coast. Wet yes but as long as i bring a couple of dry logs and some starter (aka gas and ivory soap) i should be able to keep a fire going as needed. BushCraft Skillz are OK.

Thinkin Elk Bend of Fan Creek... temps are gonna be cold for sure. But I guess I want to see how I would fair.? ????

We will see ;) more to plan if its gonna happen

Cheers
Do you mean Elk Bend or Fan Creek on the Nestucca? Nice places, always wanted to camp down there. Let us know when, good fun riding north of there as well.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
18 degrees this morning in Olympia.

Im a hardcore camper too but that's just too damn cold to have any fun!
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
PDXPapaBear OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenthdfan View Post
18 degrees this morning in Olympia.

Im a hardcore camper too but that's just too damn cold to have any fun!
I Hear Ya... I guess I am just needing more time on the bike. Dreaming of......

It would be a little dangerous too to ride in temps like that. Look at the Frostbite Times. Cover and layer/ I still think I wanna ride tomorrow/

Even if its some slab with a little dirt or Mud :)

As far as the campout goes I will plan one for the spring out on the Nestucca and make sure its sorted out here. It will be a Late Saturday to Monday thing. I work Saturday DAY but can split shortly after 7. Stay tuned for that in the future.

Any Takers for some Burning Gas this Sunday?
Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #10
Dawg_enD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXPapaBear View Post
starter (aka gas and ivory soap)

This sounds like something I need to learn about. Can you give me a bit of details? Will it work with 2 stroke premix?
By the way, it is f*cking 3:40 something and I'm hammered and I didn't get laid so f*ck off I'm eating cheetos and posting on f*cking ADV like a f*cking a$$hole.
Dawg_enD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,457
Glass Butte on the east side. Temps in the teens and no tent.

Next to the Pistol River South OR coast. Temps in the high 30's and raining. In a tent.

Take your pick
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,387
I,m sitting in elk camp right now waiting for the season to open in the morning. Up in the coast range in a tent. Forecast is for2" of rain tonight 2

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote