ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
BaileyMan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Waterfall / Hot Spring Tour?

Hey Fellas,

I'm planning a trip from SF up to the Seattle area late July, early August and wanting to focus this trip on waterfalls and hot springs (free or cheap) that are slightly off the beaten path. I want to mostly stick to the western side of the cascades / coast range, but will likely make my way to Crater Lake, maybe by way of Lake Tahoe area.

I have practically no dirt experience, but want to venture down some easy unpaved and less traveled roads to find spots that are less busy. I'm really wanting to start doing more of the "adventure" type of trips, taking some road less traveled detours, but mainly paved backroads.

I would love to find at least a couple or few waterfalls that also have swimming holes, but it's not mandatory.

Maybe also suggestions of good / cheaper camping spots?

I'm riding a Versys with street tires.

I've searched the forums a bit and have taken some notes, but wanted some more specific suggestions...

Thanks in advance!
BaileyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,997
Pegleg Falls on the Collawash River in western Oregon near Estacada. Last time I was there, there was a rope swing for swimming too. There is no camping right at the falls, but Little Fan campground is downstream a bit and also has a real nice swimming area.

There are hot springs in this area too, but most reports are they are crowded and littered.
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,662
Couple of ideas,

If you go through Tahoe, take in some of the roads and sights north of there, the area around Sierraville Downieville is beautiful. If it's the heat of the summer, the granite pools of the high sierra make wonderful swimming, but get cold outside of summer.

Summer Lake Hot Springs just north of the California border is a pretty cool hotspring also. Just went there last month = http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976683

A few waterfalls you might visit would be Silver Falls State Park near Salem Oregon has some great ones. They have a short easy hiking loop that visits a dozen of them in an afternoon.

Of course Multnomah Falls is not to be missed if you have not seen them yet. If you are a hiker, take the trail to the top of the falls, that also visits another fall or two. Then walk up Oneida Gorge close by and visit that waterfall (It's like really easy Canyoneering in a magical setting). Found a random picture of that below - sorry for the spam.

This photo of Oneonta Gorge is courtesy of TripAdvisor

There's tons more. Have a good trip.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
BaileyMan OP
Adventurer

Some great suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
doggitter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Salt Creek Falls and McCredie Hot Spring just a short distance apart on Hwy58 east of Oakridge Or. Falls are moderate sized, real short hike to see them. Spring is hidden behind the trees and bank beside the hiway.

Loren, somewhere on a DR350SE
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Did you know Idaho has more hot springs than any other state?
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
BaileyMan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
Did you know Idaho has more hot springs than any other state?
I did not know that. Looks like I'll have to plan a trip to Idaho one of these days...
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,703
Umpqua Hot Springs east of Roseburg, Or. (off 138 the N. Umpquq highway).
The Springs are between Toketee and Lomolo Lakes. Lots of campgrounds in the area and not far from Crater Lake. There are also Tokatee Falls. The North Umpqua River is beautiful.

Cougar Hot Springs at Cougar Reservoir..... Google it!
Very Popular and it's just off the Aufderheide Dr. (NF-19) a great scenic motorcycling road ..... connects Hwy 58 and 126 .....

Salt Creek Falls just off hwy 58 near Willamette Pass.

Proxy Falls (beautiful) a short hike to two different falls just off Hwy 242 (the Old McKenzie Hwy). 242 is a must see ..... go to the summit and see the Lava beds then ride over to Sisters Or.

Shahalie Falls just off 126 near Clear Lake.

Many of these places are in National forrests and you could camp almost any place just follow the rules for dispersed camping.

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
BaileyMan OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwitheyes View Post
Umpqua Hot Springs east of Roseburg, Or. (off 138 the N. Umpquq highway).
The Springs are between Toketee and Lomolo Lakes. Lots of campgrounds in the area and not far from Crater Lake. There are also Tokatee Falls. The North Umpqua River is beautiful.

Cougar Hot Springs at Cougar Reservoir..... Google it!
Very Popular and it's just off the Aufderheide Dr. (NF-19) a great scenic motorcycling road ..... connects Hwy 58 and 126 .....

Salt Creek Falls just off hwy 58 near Willamette Pass.

Proxy Falls (beautiful) a short hike to two different falls just off Hwy 242 (the Old McKenzie Hwy). 242 is a must see ..... go to the summit and see the Lava beds then ride over to Sisters Or.

Shahalie Falls just off 126 near Clear Lake.

Many of these places are in National forrests and you could camp almost any place just follow the rules for dispersed camping.
These sound like great suggestions!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
CatFlap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Pegleg Falls on the Collawash River in western Oregon near Estacada. Last time I was there, there was a rope swing for swimming too. There is no camping right at the falls, but Little Fan campground is downstream a bit and also has a real nice swimming area.

There are hot springs in this area too, but most reports are they are crowded and littered.
+1
Riding along the Collawash is just a beautiful ride as well. :)

Yeah the hot springs (Bagby in particular) are probably not worth the stop.
If only for the fact that the last time I drove by there the parking area was paved in broken glass from car windows. This was a few years ago, but I'd bet it hasn't changed. I would not want to park a bike there and hike to the springs for fear all your gear (and maybe the bike) might be gone when you get back.
Due to the fact you have to hike a bit to get from the parking lot to the springs it seems to be a target area for car prowlers even though it is in the middle of the forest.

Plenty of other things in the area to explore that are less sketchy.
Wish I could point you to some nice falls though that have not been mentioned.....