ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #151
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,402
Hang in there

2011 I had both knees replaced at the same time. When the Dr told me 8 weeks before I would have any kind of normalcy and 6 months till I would feel real good, I thought yea right. I have always bounced in less than 2-3 weeks. Not this time. I thought I was going to have to go see a shrink. A good therapist, Altitude physical Therapy-Sean, and good books got me through it.

If you want I can swing by a few evenings on the beemer and you can supervise maintenace on your bikes, I twist a good wrench and am also totally full of it. You can show me how to plot gps routes and how to post pics on ADV Rider and we will call it even.

Seriously, therapy is good for the body and the mind.

Mike
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #152
GhostRunner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Hang in there, Alan, it's time to exhibit a lot of patience. You are right, it is tough but it will be worth it to heal right so you can get back to the fun stuff.

Mick
And they roam the world at will."
Robert Service
'08 DR650 Lots of goodies
GhostRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #153
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Thanks for the update Alan. Here's hoping you healing goes better and better each day. Hang in there my friend. We will keep you in our thoughts.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #154
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Do yourself a favor and heal right the first time...
Dig out the maps, dig into the ride reports and scheme and dream. I haven't seen your comments on my last ride... might be a spot or two you haven't been to lately in that report.

That's good advice - scheme away and you'll be there in no time!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #155
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
That's good advice - scheme away and you'll be there in no time!
However long it takes, I have the feeling that the next Steep & Rocky Ride Report is going to be an exceptionally good read.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #156
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,980
Thinking about you two, daily!

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #157
GSL
Team Big Wheel

Oddometer: 1,739
Still following your progress Alan! Heal proper and we'll get back out there in 2014!
IBA #10979 - Member COHVCO - Member CMTRA - Lifetime Member Blue Ribbon Coalition - Member NMOHVA - Member NCTR
My picture site
GSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #158
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,482
Hang in there Alan. The boredom is the worst part of the whole physical rehab thing.

.... and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. JaxObssessed
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #159
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Update for September 11th

This morning I could not help but think about where I was when I heard about the 9/11 attacks. I was on my way to work at the Umatilla prison and the report I heard on the radio thought the first plane hitting the Trade Center was bad an accident. Didn't hear about the second plane and the rest of the story until some time later. By mid morning, the admin people had set up TV's in various places around where we could watch the events. Hard to believe its been this many years (12 if I did my math correctly) since that day.

Monday I had a doctors appointment. The doctor asked how I was doing and I told him I was hurting a lot less and getting good movement back in my leg and was really hopeful that he was going to tell me that I could begin to bear weight on the leg and to begin doing what it took to get use of my leg back.

The doctor thought I was progressing very well and told me to go ahead and start bearing weight on my leg and to use my pain level as a guide on how much weight to bear. I asked about physical therapy. The doc said that the exercises I was already doing together with walking and using my leg as much as possible was all the therapy I needed. He said that I might be cleared to return to work by mid October. My budget will like it if I can return to work by then.

Tuesday, I was feeling pretty good and spent the better part of the day out of the house shopping and doing other chores. I took Katy to work in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon. I was using the walker to get around, but instead of the slow (and painful on the arms) method of talking one small step at a time and keeping the bad leg off the ground for the most part, I was able to step forward with my bad leg and only needed to provide partial support of my weight with my arms on the walker. I was still walking slower than my normal pace, but much faster and much less pain than before. The walker works great for putting partial weight on my bad leg.

Things were looking up until Tuesday afternoon. I have had a bad tooth for some time. It is #14 for those that know. I even had an appointment to see the dentist the day after my accident due to the tooth, but was obviously unable to make that appointment. By the time I got out of the hospital, the tooth was not bothering me much and I was hopeful it could wait until much later. Tuesday afternoon, it decided to begin hurting again. It was bad enough I could not sleep or eat breakfast. I called my dentist and they had an opening in less than 30 minutes. I hurried to the appointment and the dentist worked on it for some time, but it is bad enough that I have to have a root canal tomorrow morning. It is currently hurting and will until after the root canal. If this root canal is anything like the one I had a few years ago, then tomorrow is going to be a really bad day.

Hopefully I will get past this tooth thing in a day or two and be back on the road to getting my leg into shape.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #160
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,740
If it ain't one thing...

But, good to hear the leg is coming along.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #161
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,729
Hey at least the tooth takes your mind off the leg. I've had some root canals that were a total PITA, and other no worse than a filling. Here's hoping it's the latter!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #162
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
I suggested ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
If it ain't one thing...

But, good to hear the leg is coming along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Hey at least the tooth takes your mind off the leg. I've had some root canals that were a total PITA, and other no worse than a filling. Here's hoping it's the latter!
perhaps the leg took his mind off the tooth but now the leg is better than the tooth, Alan didn't think so. As they say it rains when it pours but at least there a rainbows, there have been quite a few good moments during this ordeal. We thank all our ADVFriends for all the encouragement
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #163
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Heal up, Alan!

Lot's of good energy and advice comin' through here! Do it right and heal up as fast as you can, Alan. I'm gonna be jonesin' without those winter ride reports! Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #164
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Made it through the root canal the other day. Was not fun, but was not as bad as one I had a couple years ago. Hurt real good the rest of the day and for most of the next day. Tooth is feeling okay now. Now I just need to have a cap put on it. Getting a cap hurts in the pocketbook department. With all of the "out of pocket" expenses associated with my leg, I am getting fairly use to that sort of pain, not that it makes it any easier.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #165
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,535
Well I am glad your tooth is hurting... It means your leg is healing

I look forward to you doing better soon...

I am missing your ride reports. Maybe you could start some pre-trip planning reports
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote