ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #106
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,954
Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #107
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,253
I'll ditto Ladybug's comments about both of you keeping your minds about you.

I was slammed by a flying snowmobile Feb 2012 that busted my femur. Out of the half-dozen folks there, no one knew much if any first aid so I had to be the one in charge and making orders. I'm kind of surprised they didn't life flight you out.

Take your time with recovery as others have said and follow doctor's orders. Heal well.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #108
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
I'm kind of surprised they didn't life flight you out.
From my understanding from what the EMT's said on the mountain that day that I would of got a helo ride except that the terrain was way to steep (no where to land nearby) and the strong winds partly due to the steep canyon and partly due to the weather (there was a big thunderstorm that day) prevented the use of a helo. The area where I was at was thick timber. No open place, let alone flat in the area to set a helo down.

This is part of why I was trying to do everything i could to get back on the trail and walk, crawl or whatever back out to where the road ended because I knew my current location was going to be an issue and it was. I felt I had a few minutes to do what ever before the pain got to great to allow me to function. As it turns it, i was correct. After a short time, the shock of the impact wore off and the pain set in and get very severe in a short amount of time. Looking back, I don't think we could of done much different. I just had to far to crawl and the bank was to steep for me to make it up to the trail with just Katys help. I felt (and still do feel) that Katy and i gave it one hell of a good try to get myself up to the trail before I was overcome by the pain.

There came that point where I knew I could go no further and that is when i stopped trying to get onto the trail and save what little I had left to get Katy set up to go for help. I really felt I was going to go unconscious in a very short time and needed to get Katys plan set in motion for her to go for help. As it turns out, i was incorrect about going unconscious but at the time I didn't know that and felt the best course of action was what we did.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #109
shutterman
some call me bop

Oddometer: 49
Alan, keep the story going. This story should be a reminder to us all that solo adventuring can be enjoyable,, but when we are in the back country we need to be with other riders, so when (not if) accidents happen we have someone to go get help and keep us calm.

Katy, cheers to you for keeping a level head in this situation
We travel between the eternities
Robert Duvall - Broken Trail
shutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #110
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,549
Thanks for sharing the details. I was wondering what happened as the newspaper article was very vague.

The part about trying to reduce the fracture reminded me of something I learned after my femur fracture. I was told by all the medical personal that you should never try to realign a broken femur unless you have a tourniquet ready and know how to use it. Apparently it is very easy for the jagged ends or shards of the bone to nick the femoral artery and cause massive bleeding.

While Alan and myself were lucky please keep this in mind if you or a buddy are in this situation in the future.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #111
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Something to consider.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
The part about trying to reduce the fracture reminded me of something I learned after my femur fracture. I was told by all the medical personal that you should never try to realign a broken femur unless you have a tourniquet ready and know how to use it. Apparently it is very easy for the jagged ends or shards of the bone to nick the femoral artery and cause massive bleeding.
There were two large shards in Alan's femur fracture

Yet, I believe "God helps those who help themselves", I believe we were guided to do those things that were appropriate for Alan in his particular situation.

Quote:
While Alan and myself were lucky please keep this in mind if you or a buddy are in this situation in the future.
This mat be good advice!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 06:49 PM
liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #112
Tom Edison
No hurry, no worry

Oddometer: 2,328
Best wishes Alan, your a lucky man.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #113
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
That hurt to just read it.
What he said ^^ You are one tough MoFo for sure. Thanks for taking the time to write this up, it reminds me to start carrying some extra stuff on the bike, straps,tie wraps, and misc. first aid supplies.

Take care and hoping for a fast recovery!
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #114
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Update

I guess I am now responsible for posting my own updates. Rocky told me that she is no longer going to take the time to do them. Don't really know why she feels she does not have the time. She not only has to take care of everything around the including those thing that I did before the accident, but has to wait on me hand and foot.
Good thing she me as it can't be easy for her.

Anyway, compared to a few days ago, I am doing much better or at least feel like I am doing much better. I have a Home Health PT (Physical Therapist) that comes in a few days a week. Yesterday the PT was here and we made good progress. I was able to do all the the exercises that she assigned to me on an earlier visit. She then showed me more to do and as you can guess, they were much more difficult and painful. One of them included trying to lift my leg. While laying on my back, try to lift my foot straight up while keeping my leg a straight as possible. Yesterday, I was unable to even budge it up even a little. She then assisted a little by gently lifting a little on my foot as I tried. Was able to lift it a few inches until the pain made me stop. I kept working on my new exercises last night and this morning. By the time I got out of bed this morning, I am now able to lift my foot straight up until my leg is point straight up without significant pain. Now I just need to be able to bend my knee. Making progress, but it hurts and I still have a long way to go.

Anyway, after I got out of bed, I was able to get in and out of the tub/shower with minimal assistance. Does not sound like much, but considering how I was doing a week ago, a major victory.

All of this while reducing the amount of pain meds I am taking.

Yesterday, I also went outside a couple of times. First time I had been outside the house since getting home Friday. In the morning, my in-laws were here for a visit and my father in law asked if there was anything he could do to help outside. I needed some spraying done and also the filter on my irrigation water pump really needed to be cleaned. I went outside with him to oversee the cleaning of the pump filter and then to line him out on the spraying. I was outside for about half an hour. Later that day when the PT lady was here, we worked on getting into and out of the pickup. I am able to get into and out of the pickup without much issue.

The other news is that they cut my oxygen level down from what it was. Also, I don't need to wear it while I am up for short tasks as dragging the hose around or using the portable bottle is a pain. I did not use oxygen on either trip outside yesterday. Most of the time the PT lady was here and I was doing my various exercises I was not on oxygen and she kept checking my oxygen level and I was okay. Hopefully I can be rid of the oxygen during the day. While sleeping appears to be the main time I still may still need oxygen for a while longer.

Tomorrow, I will be taking a road trip as I have a doctors appointment.

Thank you to all those that have send me words of encouragement and well wishes.
DISCLAIMER: Suitability of any roads or trails mentioned in my ride reports are given from the view point of me and my wife (two old grandparents of moderate riding ability) and may or may not be applicable to your personal situation. Be mature, ride within your own abilities.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #115
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650x View Post
By the time I got out of bed this morning, I am now able to lift my foot straight up until my leg is point straight up without significant pain.
Hell, I can't even do that and I don't have a broken leg!
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #116
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,551
Steep, glad to know you are making progress. Those things that might seem small to some are HUGE!! Rocky is a pretty awesome lady but you already knew that.

Keep working on getting better.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #117
liv2rydktms OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Alrighty then.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Hell, I can't even do that and I don't have a broken leg!
You might be interested to know, Alan wanted to go ride the trail in this RR http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905027
however I suggested we complete our earlier exploration and he agreed, who knows what may have happened at the other location.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #118
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Well....A Second Opinion

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the details. I was wondering what happened as the newspaper article was very vague.

Wilderness medicine [and Ski Patrol for that matter] now advises to not "reduce" [unless EMS trained personnel with a correct traction splint have the training and time to apply one] a femur fracture but do put the leg back into the "normal alignment" before transporting [immobilize using a splint or other leg]...this info from ER physicians that trained our patrol and taught for the Wilderness Advance First Aid for the Wilderness Medical Associates...massive bleeding is not common with a femur break but pain sure as hell is...and the shock can be a serious issue that must be mediated.

Your mileage may vary....

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #119
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Wilderness medicine [and Ski Patrol for that matter] now advises to not "reduce" [unless EMS trained personnel with a correct traction splint have the training and time to apply one] a femur fracture but do put the leg back into the "normal alignment" before transporting [immobilize using a splint or other leg]...this info from ER physicians that trained our patrol and taught for the Wilderness Advance First Aid for the Wilderness Medical Associates...massive bleeding is not common with a femur break but pain sure as hell is...and the shock can be a serious issue that must be mediated.

Your mileage may vary....

Phil
Wow pieces everywhere!
Glad you are getting around, I only had my moms break ( almost identical) to go by and she was in the rehab place for six weeks. I had taken Monday off to come by for a few minutes over the weekend and say hi , then the car broke ( mechanic still trying to figure it out), and I got an ear infection. Maybe next week.

Wallowa is definitely a god guy to have around after you have bounced down the road a bit! from personal experience.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #120
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,181
Ah..Roy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
Wow pieces everywhere!
Glad you are getting around, I only had my moms break ( almost identical) to go by and she was in the rehab place for six weeks. I had taken Monday off to come by for a few minutes over the weekend and say hi , then the car broke ( mechanic still trying to figure it out), and I got an ear infection. Maybe next week.

Wallowa is definitely a god guy to have around after you have bounced down the road a bit! from personal experience.
Honestly, I am mortal...hey, you did most of it for yourself...best tuck and roll I have ever seen! Watching it in slow motion in front of me was a great education indeed.

Rocky and Steep did a great job in dealing with a horrific injury in a very hostile environment...ya done good! And the angels were there to help.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote